Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S54 throttle response and hesitation when cold

Hi Guys, yet another question from me!

I have noticed that when cold and between 1k and 2.5k the power delivery feels a bit lumpy and hesitant - it's not really bad but bad enough to have to consciously be as smooth as possible with the throttle.

Also this is the first car I have had with the drive-by-wire throttle and it feels less progressive than my old M3 Evo's. At certain throttle openings the throttle is obviously opening more relative to my input - if that makes sense!

I think this exagerates the cold running characteristic.

I am hoping that you guys will cite this as being a normal trait of this engine/throttle but I am wondering if maybe I have a problem with my throttle sensor.

Advice needed!

Cheers

Simon

Its normal and nothing to do with the drive by wire just the cold running is a bit poo on the S54s - on the M3 s there was a software update to try to help but I don't think its available for the MC.
    Ex 2001 S54
    New cars:
    Lotus Carlton
    350Z

Comment

I don't have this issue
      S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Thanks guys, any other views?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonClark View Post
          Thanks guys, any other views?
          I have the same "issue"...I do not see it as a problem/fault...
          would be nice to know if the guys that had the S54 engine remaped also experience this.
          ///M Coupe 2001 S54 Steel Grey - Paulo M.
          -------------------------------------------
          ----- Sporting Clube Portugal - Forever -----

Comment

Mines like this.

Sounds louder and much more hardcore from cold. Sometimes splutters a bit on liftoff too - all below 3k of course.

I quite like it to be honest - make it feel like I've got some vintage racer (for 5 mins anyway).

Incidently while on the subject I occasionally when thoroughly warmed up, get a stammer in accelaration when putting from low revs in 3rd or 4th.

Could that be MAF sensor or something?
            S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

As mentioned above, I don't have this issue.

My Indy changes the "throttle switch" every year or so (cost £34.13 last year). Seemingly it's a known weakness that should be part of the planned maintenance schedule.

May help?
              S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Forever does the stammer happen at about 2000rpm when slowly accelerating? I've always had this on my S54 and its been back to BMW 3 times. I managed to demonstrate it to them but they couldn't find the cause and ended up saying this is normal for the S54. So no idea but you're not alone!

Comment

Originally posted by FraggleChops View Post
                  Forever does the stammer happen at about 2000rpm when slowly accelerating? I've always had this on my S54 and its been back to BMW 3 times. I managed to demonstrate it to them but they couldn't find the cause and ended up saying this is normal for the S54. So no idea but you're not alone!
                  Yep pretty much.

It's only slowly accelerating because it's low revs mind - it's pretty much 3/4 or full throttle.

Same for you?
                  S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

The 'Kangaroo' from cold is a common characteristic of the S54 engine and is even worse with SMG!

I would be interested to know if the 'Throttle switch' solves the issue.

Out of interest Ian, do you let the car warm up or do you start and drive?

On the CSl, it happens very rarely, but driving out of my car park where I live, I can end up looking like a fool.

Comment

Ok, so done a few more miles and my observations are:-

1. When cold the hesitation can be anywhere from tick over to 2500rpm and worse at more throttle - not sure about full throttle as don't use it from cold.

2. When it's warm it's pretty smooth but can be hesitant between 1500 - 1800 rpm and it's worse if the car has been driven hard through the revs beforehand - like it's adjusted for harder driven and then confused when you are lower in the revs. It's also at its worse at 3/4 throttle in this situation and could be described as a mild kangaroo effect.

Not sure that it would be bad enough for a dealer to spot as I didn't notice it for the first few miles.

Anyother thoughts?

Comment

Are you letting the clutch out properly?
                        /// Exdos ///
                        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

I am letting the clutch out.

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
                            Are you letting the clutch out properly?

LOL.

Nice one Exdos.
                            Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
                            In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Rags, start and drive off gently.

Guys, this is a 6 pot well balanced engine. All should be smooth. If its not, somethings wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X