S50 Aircon condenser busted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S50 Aircon condenser busted

Had aircon re-gas today on the a car I've just bought, came hissing back out in front or behind of radiator! Charged me a tenner too! I'm totally new to this car so can anyone tell me how difficult is would be to do this job myself or what a garage could charge? I presume it's the condenser radiator? Any choice of brand I should go for?

Cheers Paul

I've just done mine today (again, for the 3rd time owning the car!!). I'm never sure what causes the leak, but a new radiator(condensor) seems to fix it, so maybe they keep rubbing or rusting or somehting on mine.

It's not too bad to replace; fit it from the top, I think some guides tell you it drops out the bottom, but it doesn't due to the brackets that sit on top of the chassis rails (maybe these come out I'm not sure).

This is the condensor I got;

http://www.adrad.co.uk/prices/prices.php?search=16-9680

Pretty sure it's BEHR / HELLA brand.

Removal;

Above;
    -Remove viscous fan and cowling
    - Unclip the two radiator brackets on the slam panel (I would tell you how, but everytime I see them I forget how to and kind of bend them up to release the top of the radiator). You're not disconnecting the radiator hoses, just moving it backwards out of the way.
    - Undo 4 screws/bolts that bolt the radiaitor fan cowl to the condensor
    -Undo 2x 10mm bolts that secure the condenser to the slam panel.

Underneath;
    - Undo the lower trays x3 (awful design the way these pieces go together IMO). So thats the main lower cover, the oil cooler channel front and back pieces.
    - Undo 2 allen key bolts that hole the aircon pips to the base of the condensor

With the condensor pipes undone and working from the top, you should be able to wiggle the radiator out of its lower mounts (it just sits on rubber feet so slots back in later), to give enough room to lift the condensor up and out of the car.

Probably worth getting 2 new o-rings, they are the same size I think (realoem sometimes suggests 2 different sizes, one big one small are fitted)
    Last edited by c_w; 06-07-2017, 09:46 PM.

Comment

I've replaced the condensor 4 years ago (car was 15 then) with OEM one because the a/c shop advised so. They actually said that all newer condensers are built a bit differently so they don't last as long, especially non-oem ones.

Still holding on well, but haven't used it much at all. Hope it stays like that, touch wood!
      Last edited by inside; 07-07-2017, 07:45 PM.

Comment

yeah thanks for that, OEM condenser and two seals are on order ready for monday!

Comment

Originally posted by inside View Post
          I've replaced the condensor 4 years ago (car was 15 then) with OEM one because the a/c shop advised so. They actually said that all newer condensers are built a bit differently so they don't last as long, especially non-oem ones.

Still holding on well, but haven't used it much at all. Hope it stays like that, touch wood!
          It is recommended that you use the aircon regularly to prevent problems. Try to use mine each time I use the car, all year round. Have had no issues in 12 years, not even had a regas and air remains cold.
          S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Yea I try to use it throughout the year as recommended but that is usually to make sure the oil gets circulated through the compressor etc (ie it wouldn't cause a leak if it's not used I don't htink).

Pleased to report that regas today with MOT and it's back nice and cold again. Garage said it was holding high pressure so hopefully the condensor has sorted it.

Comment

Working...
            X