Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z3 COUPE 2.8 In RHD ?

Guys ...
    Seen a car on the auto trader stated as a z3 coupe 2.8 RHD ...
    I thought only Left hookers were made .. thinking of it for a track day car ..
    It looks ok on pictures, but is a few miles away and wanted any expert out there to give me an idea that it is okay ...
    Car is on an R plate 1998, silver and has the M body and kit rather than the coupe kit, inside has the coupe / M mixed so thinking it is a made up job???

Any one here live near to Chester ... want to look it over for me and see what it is?

Cheers
    http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www...00618234174616
    Need help setting up a CMMS/EAMS system?
    S54: P*** Yellow ;-)

Kiddle I live in Chester, will give the seller a shout tomorrow and see if its still available.

Greenbat

PM if you want

Ex MC Owner

Comment

i looked at this too!
      its had a lot of money spent to get it to M spec!

i have seen Z3 Coupes with the M rear wheels on, but because of the rear the wheels stick out too far! the insode is the same as all the others!
      that with the fact its RHD was gonna call just to ask some questions! for the money it would cost you that for a 2.8 roadster bit of a bargain me thinks!

still weird!

Comment

That IS a strange car!! I think a 2.8 Coupe would be quite a nice car and for that price definitely worth looking at.

It says 2.8 but everything on it looks like M Coupe (gills, front and rear bumper, brakes, wheels, exhaust, mirrors etc). Even the tailgate looks right as the 2.8 and 3.0 had the reg plate in the rear bumper and the tailgate was plain smooth. Only the dash looks like the old style Z3 Roadster.

I was always under the impression there were no RHD 2.8s though as Europe and the US got the 2.8s but these were all LHD?

Comment

unless its from somewhere like malta, cyprus, SA or maybe tonga!

Comment

could be from Japan
            Ed

2000 S50
            Cosmos black/imola-black

Comment

So how hard do you guys think it would be to drop in the M lump ... that is the plan if it seems okay ... an M for the track ... at a price that is cheap as chips so to speak ! ...
              Need help setting up a CMMS/EAMS system?
              S54: P*** Yellow ;-)

Comment

an engine will cost you between £2-3k plus fitting and £500 for the old lump!

stu, you have to much money, it would be easier to get a roadster and strip it out!!!!

Comment

But it woud'nt look as cool :cry:

Comment

Nor be best suited to track IMO, with a lot less chassis stiffness etc, unless you had a roll cage that braced the whole car.

If I was to do an engine change on that 2.8 Coupe I'd fit the 3.0 or possibly leave the 2.8 in. The 2.8 engine is lighter than the M Coupe engine, the car is 100kg lighter which helps for trackdays.

The other thing is that the 2.8 engine is restricted from the factory to 193bhp and it seems quite easy to get low 200s bhp, some people have got 250bhp out of it which if you look at the lighter weight and probability of a 3.2 M engine making around 300bhp instead of 321bhp then there might not be much difference in straight line performance.

Comment

good call!

Comment

Originally posted by c_w
                        Nor be best suited to track IMO, with a lot less chassis stiffness etc, unless you had a roll cage that braced the whole car.

If I was to do an engine change on that 2.8 Coupe I'd fit the 3.0 or possibly leave the 2.8 in. The 2.8 engine is lighter than the M Coupe engine, the car is 100kg lighter which helps for trackdays.

The other thing is that the 2.8 engine is restricted from the factory to 193bhp and it seems quite easy to get low 200s bhp, some people have got 250bhp out of it which if you look at the lighter weight and probability of a 3.2 M engine making around 300bhp instead of 321bhp then there might not be much difference in straight line performance.
                        Sincereley i drive one time the 2.8 and never tell to compared to mine M version!
                        It goes same a clio rs,also i think the clio goes fastes! :)
                        www.fastdrive.org
                        S50 black/black-red In Rome
                        Front BBK Stoptech Red+Eibach Sway Bars+Kw Clubsport Whit Camber plates+Weichers Strutbar+Agk Urethane front Silent Block & differential Bushing+Tuner Motorposrt Alluminium Rear Mount+Hamann Exaust

Comment

Test drove the car today. It happened to be the same car that I have seen around a few times. And even to me I could not tell the difference from afar.

Anyway the car was (he thinks) bought by a British soldier based in Germany hence the import but RHD.

Exhaust note suprisingly very close to that off an MC, but not as responsive or quick as an MC. I think from 3rd gear onwards it will be see ya!

Greenbat

Kiddle you have a PM

Ex MC Owner

Comment

Always wondered why BMW did not make this car in RHD.

I love M Coupe but cannot bring myself to swallow expense for performace I would use so rarely.

As the owner of a (tweaked) 328 Sport Coupe this would be ideal move. This engine realy does rev once the restrictions are lifted.

Any thoughts on how you would insure it? Would it default to M Coupe insurance as it is the dead spit?

I remember when I owned a LHD E30 M3 I dreaded the question.... Is the car std UK Spec RHD?
                            After 14 years of dreaming M Coupe bought 23/8/12.. then sold it 13 months later. Boo. Now replaced with 2005 Sti.

Comment

Ive got a 328 coupe too, thinkin of de restrictin it. Any idea's????

Comment

Working...
                              X