New noise....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New noise....

Noticed this afternoon after parking up from a quick shopping trip. Pulled up at the kerb with the driver's window open, handbrake and neutral and thought I'd heard almost a pop/click noise which was enough to have me leave the engine running and pop the hood.

Engine was turning over, normal fan noise but what sounded like a regular cycle of 'click-whizz' like one of those cheap kids' wind up walker toys (when they fall over and the tension unwinds all at once as there's no resistance)

Each click-whizz cycle takes about a second.

Subsequently turned engine off. No interesting puddles under the car but I'll go take another look in 15 mins or so after a cup of tea.

Any suggestions as to the source of the noise. Certainly not heard it before
    ex- 2000 Titanium Silver S50 with AC Schnitzer road suspension, exhaust, rear wing and gear knob
    now 2002 Sapphire Black S54 with black/red interior, S54 Bearing Shell upgrade with ARP Con Rod bolts, Cam shaft bolt upgrade

maybe a dry/worn bearing in one of the pulley's on the drive belt ? , just had to replace one on mine (tensioner above the alternator)but that was more of a rattling noise , cant think of much else

Comment

Cheers brg - i think it's linked to the aircon from trial and error. If the snowflake button is turned off the noise isn't there. Wondering if I have a perished hose or clip somewhere, or the belt\tensioner\bearing for driving that has gone.

Guess if I'm lucky it'll be a regas only. I'm thinking I need to find someone locally to test for leaks in the system at same time
      ex- 2000 Titanium Silver S50 with AC Schnitzer road suspension, exhaust, rear wing and gear knob
      now 2002 Sapphire Black S54 with black/red interior, S54 Bearing Shell upgrade with ARP Con Rod bolts, Cam shaft bolt upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by 'Yadi View Post
        Guess if I'm lucky it'll be a regas only.
        From my experience that's highly unlikely!

The aircon in MC's is easily the worst similarly aged system I've ever experienced... The electric windows on the other hand are very reliable

Comment

Its just turning summer here in Oz....I have not tried my air con yet but reading over the logbooks kept by the previous owner, the dealer has written the air con belt needs tightening or replacing??? What does that entail?
          sigpic

Comment

Well I had an existing 'noise' with the aircon that when engaged and the engine was switched off there was a 'glug-glug-glug....' noise that sounded almost like a bottle emptying.

CPC identified the source just after I purchased the car as a bearing of some sort then - basically the wheel was still spinning (from inertia I guess) after the source of it's energy was removed.

Not sure if this is the compressor clutch or...?

This new noise happens only when the engine is running and the air con is engaged. Blowers inside the cabin sound a little more strained.

Assuming it's not a simple recharge of the gas how much do we reckon fixing aircon is nowadays? I appreciate it's not cheap. CPC's approach with the original element noted above was it's just noisy and not a problem to be fixed - very expensive to do so - so I'm assuming it's a 'how much!!!!!!!' sort of price tag

Comment

Working...
            X