Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blimey, hadn't realised it involved 25 hours work! Thought cost was in the few hundreds of pounds, not a grand or more.
    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

• Originally posted by rsk289 View Post
      What exhaust did you use, KnightsG?
      Prospeed Exhaust with 200 Cell Cats.

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

• Originally posted by Randy Forbes View Post
        I'm glad you're happy with the results! Twenty-five (25) hours is a little quicker than I do them, but that comes down to me taking a bit more of the car apart, to give me more access for prep & painting.

As you say, the prize is in the driving, not the looks, because hardly anyone will ever peek under its skirt!
        The diff, exhausts and associated areas are off and on more frequently than usual, so I can see some time being saved there.

I feel that as values are increasing investing in such areas would be repaid during ownership. I have passed on a handful of Coupes with cracks and creaky drives. Much the same as the E46 M3 buyers pay more for repaired or replaced boot floors.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

• Any issues with diff temps when losing the vanes?

Comment

• Originally posted by c_w View Post
            Any issues with diff temps when losing the vanes?
            At the moment I have no means of measuring any differences. A future plan though.

Comment

• Originally posted by c_w View Post
              Any issues with diff temps when losing the vanes?
              That's not likely to be an issue, even with light duty track use (assuming 20 minute sessions under less than all out competition use); a couple of guys I know, Ron Stygar and Daniel McRobb did some temperature logging with thermocouples in the differential and even with DWM "flogging" it on the Tail of the Dragon (318 turns in 11 miles, so LOTS of differential action) he could barely attain 200*F. Interstate Hwy @ 80-90 MPH would yield temps around 180*F.

But there's always this option: http://www.rogueengineering.com/Rogu...over_p_75.html
              Randy Forbes
              Sports Cars Plus, LLC
              Parrish, Florida, USA
              http://spcarsplus.com/piwigo/

Comment

• That cover would look nice and retain the M Coupe's rear look! Re temps, it might only be a concern in longer track sessions (I have seen diffs that look like they've been baked but it might just be the oil's been in there too long - I'd just increase oil change intervals).

Comment

• Why you can't just reweld it...

The car I'm currently working on, a 1999 M Rdstr (US S-52 engine) was previously repaired by some partial seam welding, and the addition of some scrap metal welded in. To say it's complicating an effective repair is an understatement of great magnitude, not to mention a complete failure, as a few of the following pictures show.

Bottom Line: These are still great cars, and the passage of time will continue to prove how special they really are; please show some compassion and give them the care they deserve. IF your car develops problems with the spotwelds fracturing and you can't immediately have it repaired/reinforced, then it is far better__and cheaper in the long run__to DO NOTHING in the interim, than to do a hack repair. I'm only guesstimating at this point, but the owner of this car would've probably saved up to twenty (<20) hours of my labor if I only had to repair the original damage, than to be forced to cut out "the fix" done by a previous owner.**

** SO BUYER BEWARE, if the seller of a potential purchase tells you "yes, it has been repaired and reinforced!" If you're not in a position to do a thorough inspection yourself, then get a TRUSTED & KNOWLEDGEABLE 3rd Party to perform a pre-purchase inspection.

Only WE can put an end to these sad stories
                  Randy Forbes
                  Sports Cars Plus, LLC
                  Parrish, Florida, USA

Comment

• Sound advice.
                    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

• OMG!!

That has got to be the worst I have ever seen.
                      Aceman

Arctic Silver Z3MR

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
                      ///M Badge Refurb available HERE

Comment

• Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        OMG!!

Thought the same thing .

Comment

• Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          OMG!!

+1

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
                          Thought the same thing .
                          So did I!

I actually had another car with equal, if not more damage, but it was easier/faster to fix by nature of not having to cut out the hack-job first.
                          Randy Forbes
                          Sports Cars Plus, LLC
                          Parrish, Florida, USA

Comment

• Originally posted by Randy Forbes View Post
                            +1

So did I!

I actually had another car with equal, if not more damage, but it was easier/faster to fix by nature of not having to cut out the hack-job first.
                            Hey Randy,
                            I've sent you a pm about possibly buying a kit from you.
                            Thanks, Chris.
                            2000 Z3M coupe, Titansilber Silver with Kyalami/Black seats
                            2001 e39 540i, Topaz Blue
                            1971 2002tii, Bristol Grey

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

• Originally posted by ktm400 View Post
                              So I finally got the kit from Randy (took 3 days to get from California and then 8 days sitting in UK customs!).
                              The first two welders i approached refused to touch the car - but I found a good indy classic car / rally car garage who were happy to take on the job. Once the car was on a ramp and the exhaust removed it showed the extent of the damage. What a mess! Looks like it had been cracked for a while and the cracked metal had been rubbing against each other weakening it further so the patch up welding was quite extensive.
                              All done now and feels sooooo much better and solid with no rattling and banging. Pictures below.... and hopefully a good job done for the life of the car!!
                              Hey ktm400. I am looking for someone to carry out this work in Northern Ireland. Can I ask where you went to have it done?
                              Thanks, Chris.

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris W View Post
                                Hey ktm400. I am looking for someone to carry out this work in Northern Ireland. Can I ask where you went to have it done?
                                Thanks, Chris.
                                It's all good. Thanks to some detective work from members on a local car forum we found the garage from the pictures. It's a place called Classic Marques. Already phoned them and I'm gonna get the car booked in at the end of the month!
                                Also, I've got the Randy Forbes kit ordered and hopefully on the way.

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

Working...
                                X