Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front adjustable top mounts/camber plates

Hi,

I thought I had already raised a post about this some time ago but cannot find it.

Having fitted some new tyres to the MC the other week, the additional tread depth has exacerbated the rubbing issue I have from running KW V3 and wider front rims, hence my thoughts coming back to needing to get some camber adjustable front top mounts (as well as needing to trim the plastic arch liners back).

Can anyone recommend any, either through experience or through prior endorsements?

I don't want to go for the cheap EBay options hence seem to be down to Turner Motorsport options at ~£400.

Cheers
    Ian
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Ian
    I posted on the other thread.

I have the same setup on my m3 - kw v3, turner adj camber plates, eibach adj rear arms etc blah blah

Some theories are that the el cheapo ones should be as functional as turners.

But as you say, the cheap ones may be ultimately a false economy!

Maybe call driftworks and see what they say?

I Set them up once with WIM and left it at that - the geometry was setup with track in mind so the camber plates helped with the lowered car to get the tyre contact angles correct but adjustable is almost 'one' time only unless you want a trip to your hunter alignment tool consistently

Setup is tiresome for road but beautiful on track.

Rags

Comment

When you say the setup is tiresome on the road, how do you mean? Do you know what sort of negative camber it's now running?

I'm assuming trimming the arch liners will remove my rubbing issue, but the way the wheel/tyre protrudes out has annoyed me for a long time now, as I've said in posts before

Other option is ditching the KWs, but that's quite expensive!!
      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Please note I am referring to an e36 m3 here as my z3m has BC.

My e36 m3 has just too much of a hard ride for road driving but that could be the lack of consideration for our sh1t roads.

In terms of arch lines etc - I replaced the front wings on the m3 and did away with them - due to the strut fouling the wheel, I am running 12mm spacers and a square set up.

What wheels and spacers are you running - include offsets - they must be seriously wide.

My z3m has 15 mm up front and I can still fit fingers in, maybe 2 or 3

Comment

Hey Ian,

I run the swapped front top mounts which gives around -3 deg camber, KW V3s set up lower at the front to the back (I will send you a photo of the height on watts ap to compare) and 235/40/18 MPC2 tyres without any issues.

Also the steering rack has been changed to a NON M rack which may aid the lack of rubbing...

Which tyres do you have?

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

Steering rack won't make any difference, just a different ratio but with same max turning angles.

Where's it rubbing? The arch line at the top or the front of the wheel well?

Comment

I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, 235/40/18 on the front. I've had tyres rub in the past at the front of the wheel well but now I think it's along the top of the arch liner, especially as it feels rough and the tyre has a few marks on it.

It's fine in a straight line, just when going around fairly small islands that's the issue......maybe I should just steer with the rear more (apart the Michelins don't like to break traction!)!

As for offsets I can't recall, but without the 10mm spacer the wheels fowl the KWs so have to be fitted.

Russ - I've read about swapping the top mounts over but several of the guys have said this gives really bad inner tyre wear, which is why I wanted the adjustable setup to get it somewhere in between. Do you see this wear on yours, or not as it's a track weapon?

Cheers

Comment

It's normal to rub the liner, I think a few of us have trimmed them (or let them wear away!).

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                  As for offsets I can't recall, but without the 10mm spacer the wheels fowl the KWs so have to be fitted.

Russ - I've read about swapping the top mounts over but several of the guys have said this gives really bad inner tyre wear, which is why I wanted the adjustable setup to get it somewhere in between. Do you see this wear on yours, or not as it's a track weapon?

Cheers
                  I have run swapped top mounts for years on my car; yes the inners wear but not stupidly fast, and if you make sure your tracking is set to parallel to reduce scrub it means wear is at a minimum. Using R888s etc tyre wear on track was good. My road wheels wore more on the inside (as you'd expect), but I can either swap the tyres over on the rim (as they're directional), or just keep an eye on them. In any case, I've never been concerned about the tyre; if it was a daily driver I probably wouldn't run it like this, but for fast road drives and trackdays it's fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X