got a wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got a wobble

recently had wheels refurbed and came back with steering wheel judder and also noticeable through seat.i have had all wheels re ballanced and still there 70-90.if they have been ballanced correctly could it be prop shaft or boot floor.i have just been on a 400m trip and seems to be getting worse.brakes are good and shocks recently refurbed and bearings seem fine,any advice welcome,cheers

Are they standard wheels? If not then maybe hubcentric spigot rings went missing during refurb?
    1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

i have 18 inch rondells with 20mm hubcentric spacers so should be ok.

Comment

If your car was alright before the wheel refurb,just get the wheels balaced again,they dont always get it right.

Comment

Worth checking the wheel face where it meets the spacer and also the spacers themselves ?

Comment

There shouldn't be any paint on the wheel face that meets the hub or where the wheel bolts seat. Often refurb outfits will leave paint on these areas.

Comment

Have you used the wheels before with the same spacers and it's been smooth?

Comment

thank you all for replies,i am going to remove wheels to inspect surfaces and purchase some spigots which it did not have from the start.i am going to have them re ballanced to due to the amount of lead stuck to them and on two of the wheels there are weights directly opposite each other which didnt look rite.

Comment

The rears will likely need spigot rings but the fronts might not (but not sure what wheels/offset they are though as you haven't said).

Did you run spigot rings before and decided not to this time?

First steps would be to rebalance them properly and fit spigot rings where needed. Even with that you can get vibration as the spigot rings are often not thick enough because they allow too much tolerance. You may be ok if they have put paint on the centre bore though to make things tighter.

Comment

All sorted,i took it to a well recomended tyre and wheel centre and after inspection realised that the front wheel inner diameter is smaller than the rear so the hubcentric spacers on fronts were good but on the rears they needed spigots to centre correctly.i dont know why the rondells are like this but lesson learnt,get the right spacers.
                    Last edited by jess robson; 23-11-2017, 06:50 PM.

Comment

It's because the rears are E39 5-series fitment/offset and the centre bore is larger.

Comment

thank you all for help .yes c-w you are rite about the rears i have alloy spigots now and what a difference,i must have been lucky centering wheels when fitting in the past as hadnt noticed before but is now like a different car at certain speeds.cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X