S50 Which oil to use??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ian View Post
    There is something very wrong there. Have driven my car, always using Castrol edge 10/60, for over 200K miles and its as clean as anything internally.
    Nope, the question is, how you use the car. If you go fast on track and the oil is always hot youll be fine. If you drive it normal (i know different for every one) you can get possably that problems.

I will aks the guy which repairs and modify a lot of S50 and S54 engine here in germany. He is a maniac in vanos, too. Keep you updated.
    Last edited by Olified; 11-05-2017, 03:37 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but it might be worth getting in touch with Opie Oils?
      It's obviously a good way of marketing their services but they've been happy to offer advice on PH to owners since 2006. Can't be a bad thing? They've always been very helpful when seeking advice.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...&f=23&t=237642

Noted here:
      Originally posted by MattH3764 View Post
      Oil is a very personal thing, some people research it tp death. Regular changes are probably as important as the brand used.

I have always found the advice of Opie Oils to be excellent. FWIW they pointed me at Fuchs Pro S 5w40. BMWs advice will often be influenced by who they have a corporate tie up with at the time.

From what I have seen the correct specification oil to use (non track use) is:

BMW Z3 M Coupe - S50 engine derivative = 5w-40
      BMW Z3 M Coupe - S54 engine derivative = 10w-60
      Last edited by guido; 11-05-2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Olified View Post
        Not my car, but for example

looks like it's been running on diesel!

Comment

Nope, the question is, how you use the car. If you go fast on track and the oil is always hot youll be fine. If you drive it normal (i know different for every one) you can get possably that problems.

I will aks the guy which repairs and modify a lot of S50 and S54 engine here in germany. He is a maniac in vanos, too. Keep you updated.
          My car doesn't go on track, I repeat, there is something very wrong with that.
          S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Not my car, but for example

I can't believe that. That's from years and years of never changing the oil. Not seen sludge like this since the 1990s in old cars with £5 no-name oil!! I've always run my engine on 10/60 and it's spotless clean inside. Even a turbodiesel would resist sludging like that with modern oils.

Where's the quote from? Interesting it says total mileage 11k. 4-5k OCI (whatever that means!). What's the top photo of a cam? It's not from an S50. I think it's a bullshit story, something else to it.
            Last edited by c_w; 11-05-2017, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X