Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S50 versus S54......again!

Hi guys,

Sorry to go over old ground, but I've scoured the threads and thought I'd ask the question.

I know the differences between spec, engine and rarity etc. But what is the actual difference on a day to day?

Higher revs, but less bhp. For blasting down your favourite road, where sometimes you can't reach the redline, would you notice the difference?

I know Spooks has gone from S50 to S54 so wondered if anyone else had made the change and for what reasons?

My view (had both s50 in the coupe and an s54 in a z4m, a CSL and an e46).

Performance wise, very similar.

Sound - s54 wins, love the rasp....

Throttle and power delivery - I prefer the s50, find the fly by wire a bit funny tbh but there is not much to pick at.

What would I rather have in an mc? Probably an s54 overall if I had the choice, would love to whack an air box on there!

Comment

Interesting Rags.

S50 with air box and exhaust or is the S54 on a different level?

I'm used to V8's so probably comparing apples to pears

Comment

Having just bought gneville's S54 to accompany my S50 I'm looking forward to finding out myself...

I had a Z4MC with the full fat 343bhp S54 until earlier this year so it'll be interesting to see how the "detuned" version of the S54 compares to that too (despite it being a cracking car I just found the Z4MC lacking in character).

I've not had a chance to take the S54 out yet, but when I do (hopefully soon), I'll try to post my thoughts on how the two compare.
        S54 Black / Imola. S50 Titan / Black. And some bits from Stuttgart.

Comment

Thanks Westerby.

Will be good to get a back to back.

Comment

I don't understand why the S54 are said to more desirable.

I thought the whole attraction about the M Coupe was the fact it was a proper drivers car with no traction control etc. so how can the S54 be more desirable?

Please prove me wrong but is it not the case with every other "classic car" that the first original models demand the most money and the facelift less so?

Comment

Originally posted by Walk View Post

I thought the whole attraction about the M Coupe was the fact it was a proper drivers car with no traction control etc. so how can the S54 be more desirable?

Please prove me wrong but is it not the case with every other "classic car" that the first original models demand the most money and the facelift less so?
              I know what you mean,i run an S50 and its had its niggles much the same as an S54,boot floor,Vanos,dif,spinning bearings the list goes on,except of course the S50 has no driver aids,which in my mind is good,i know there is meant to be a handfull of more horses in the S54 however i doubt if any of our cars have the same as they did when new,except for the ones that have been got at.

Comment

There are a fraction of numbers with S54's though so they are much rarer - which is bound to be part of it. That's possibly the opposite of other limited run oddballs where once they started selling they made more. I didn't have a preference when I was buying mine.

A quick google gave me this:
                Version Registrations
                Clio V6 230 (Phase I) 256
                Clio V6 255 (Phase II) 354

Wasn't it the same with the Williams too?
                Last edited by Seca Blue; 01-08-2017, 05:34 AM.
                S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Couldn't care either way... I just know I love my S50 for what it is and I suspect I'd feel exactly the same if it was an S54

Nor do I care if either are appreciating or depreciating in value. Buy either and enjoy the experience.
                  Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                  ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                  Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

As above and above.

Just enjoy the cars while you can.
                      Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
                      2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
                      1986 M635
                      1985 E28 M5
                      1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Originally posted by Seca Blue View Post
                        There are a fraction of numbers with S54's though so they are much rarer - which is bound to be part of it. That's possibly the opposite of other limited run oddballs where once they started selling they made more. I didn't have a preference when I was buying mine.

A quick google gave me this:
                        Version Registrations
                        Clio V6 230 (Phase I) 256
                        Clio V6 255 (Phase II) 354

Wasn't it the same with the Williams too?
                        With the Clio V6, the Phase 2 is clearly the better car; more power, better chassis handling and looks much nicer so I would pay a premium for one over the phase 1.

The differences between the S50 and S54 Coupes is essentially just the engine, no real changes other than that (exactly same drivetrain, diff, brakes, suspension, interior bar grey dials etc). The S54 is technically the better engine as it's a progression of the S50 but not a lot in it.

Comment

S54

You can turn the traction off making it a "proper drivers car"!
                          The car that saved Aston Martin, the DB7 is cheaper as an early car compared to the later DB7 Vantage. In fact the final facelift GT & GTA command the highest premiums. Limited numbers & improvement is where the desire comes from.

Comment

I only swapped from the S50 to the S54 as I put the S50 down a ditch....

It's been such a long time since I had the S50 I can't recall any differences really. The one thing I would say would lean me towards the S54 is that it's apparently a lot closer to its quoted BHP than the S50 is, but then how often do you get to use it all anyway....
                            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Service intervals are greater with the S54
                              S54 M Coupe
                              D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

Working...
                              X