New owner. Silver 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris W View Post
    Thanks for your help and advice. After having a good look around the car we have a game plan.
    For the last 2 years I have been restoring a 71 BMW 2002tii and any spare funds will be going to finishing that. (Believe it or not, new parts for Z3's are so cheap in comparison!)

Going to give the car a good service next week, sort out the oil leak which turns out to be small and likely to be what you guys where talking about.
    Then leave the car as is until the 02 is finished, hopefully January/Febuary.
    Then the fun will begin. We plan to get the car back to original spec.
    So sort the top mounts.
    Get rid of the Remus exhaust, BMW ones are pricey so probably get one that looks just the same, a local place 'Street Racer' custom makes them. Apparently they do a great job.
    Get rid of the hard suspension. It has Bilstein shocks which I suspect are sports plus one, will go to either softer Bilsteins or get new BMW stock ones.
    The car has Poly bushes fitted all round. Again I suspect these are the firm racing type and not the softer ones. So it would be good the swap these.
    Get rid of the short shifter, I'm not a fan of the way it feels or looks.
    New clutch, Its making a slight noise, although feels ok.
    And then get a respray and get the wheels restored.
    After all that, it should cost around £5k. Then the car will be A1.
    Once I get the ball rolling I'll start a build thread in the Journal group and keep you all up to speed on how its all going.
    Looks like you're the perfect new owner for the car - just what it needs! Hope the restoration doesn't throw up anything untoward and I look forward to following (and hopefully learning from) your journal.

Comment

Enjoy the new toy Chris
      Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
      ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
      Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Sounds like a good plan. Although returning to stock may be appealing (and it might be a long term aim maybe for resaleability I'm not sure), but as an owner of mine for 12yrs or so, the stock suspension is a little too soft IMO for the car and the main reason most of us have changed it.

There's no need for polybushes though, especially on the front wishbones and trailing arms. The popular play to fit them is the two big subframe bushes, but apart from that the stock bushes are fine, and may give some comfort back whilst keeping the uprated dampers. I run Bilstein Sprintline and Spax adjust able rear and ride is fine IMO.

Stock Z3M exhausts come up from time to time and usually quite cheap because they will last the lifetime of the car being stainless so unless someone has gone aftermarket there is generally never a need to buy another OE set; I'd try and hunt some of these out as custom exhausts IME tend to be a bit boomy or never look/fit quite right.

Comment

I agree with CW about the exhausts. Chris and I don't have the same view about mods in general. Mine is purely a road car I am very content with the OEM setup and have replaced almost all suspension and other wearing parts with OEM parts over the last 12 years.
          I accept that for a track vehicle some mods may be beneficial, also some will want mods for the road, but not me. Your car, your call obviously.
          S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post

Stock Z3M exhausts come up from time to time and usually quite cheap because they will last the lifetime of the car being stainless so unless someone has gone aftermarket there is generally never a need to buy another OE set; I'd try and hunt some of these out as custom exhausts IME tend to be a bit boomy or never look/fit quite right.
            Good tip. I'll keep an eye out. I have already seen a couple on a German classified website but I doubt the shipping costs would make it cost effective.
            Quick question, do the roadster and coupe come with the same exhaust?
            2000 Z3M coupe, Titansilber Silver with Kyalami/Black seats
            2001 e39 540i, Topaz Blue
            1971 2002tii, Bristol Grey

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

Good tip. I'll keep an eye out. I have already seen a couple on a German classified website but I doubt the shipping costs would make it cost effective.
              Quick question, do the roadster and coupe come with the same exhaust?

Roadster and Coupe S50 and S54 use the same back boxes

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                Roadster and Coupe S50 and S54 use the same back boxes
                Thanks, just messaged 2 sellers in Germany to see if their willing to ship to the UK.

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

I have a pair of oem back boxes taken off my coupe in 2009 at 37k miles they have been sat in my shed ever since so will need a lick of paint but open to sensible offers

Comment

I have a pair of oem back boxes taken off my coupe in 2009 at 37k miles they have been sat in my shed ever since so will need a lick of paint but open to sensible offers
                    Thanks, I've already had one seller message me back straight away. 399 Euro total price. Came off at 20,000km. Looks like new in the photos. I'll hold off until the other guy gets back to me. As his is 280 euros (about £279 ), but don't know what the delivery charge is yet.
                    Are these sort of prices reasonable? Would you want less for yours?

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

Thanks, I've already had one seller message me back straight away. 399 Euro total price. Came off at 20,000km. Looks like new in the photos. I'll hold off until the other guy gets back to me. As his is 280 euros (about £279 ), but don't know what the delivery charge is yet.
                      Are these sort of prices reasonable? Would you want less for yours?

Need the weight to confirm the delivery price but could do mine for around £300 all in , if you are interested I will take some pictures this weekend of the condition.
                      Last edited by Dave P; 29-09-2017, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Need the weight to confirm the delivery price but could do mine for around £300 all in , if you are interested I will take some pictures this weekend of the condition.
                        Yeah some pics would be great. Thanks.

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

Got the car back yesterday.
                          Turns out the subframe wasn't too bad at all. There was one or two suspect hair line possible cracks around the diff bracket. No spot welds had gone.
                          I had the strenghtening kit installed all the same. Thought it was best to prevent it happenening in the future.
                          The reason for the squeaks where put down to the hard poly bushes and the top mounts. I had the Rogue engineering top mounts installed and new BMW rubber bushes fitted all over including the diff bush.
                          The squeaks have all gone and the car feels far better with the softer bushes. The rock hard bushes where a nightmare.

Next thing to do will be to have the oil leak sorted and a few other little issues. Then off to the body shop for a respray. Should be finished before the spring with a bit of luck.
                          Attached Files

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

Ok, quick update on what I've done to the car so far.

Full service.

Welded in a reinforcment kit from Randy Forbes.

Replaced all the rear bushes including the diff bush from rock hard poly ones, back to BMW rubber ones.

Replaced the rear top mounts for Rouge engineering ones.

Replaced the Remus exhaust back to a stock exhaust.

Fixed the heated rear screen and rear wiper by cleaning up the wiring loom and replacing the broken motor with one from an e36 compact.

Changed the clutch hose for a s/s one.

Replaced the AC Schnitzer short shifter to a new standard shifter and gear stick.

Replaced the gearbox oil.

Replaced the rocker cover with a restored one.

Next up;
                            Full respray and wheel refurb. With all new trim and windscreen. Booked in this month.

Sort out the slipping clutch.

Then hopefully after all that, I'll have a sorted car.

I have the car booked into the BMW club National show in August. Hoping to go over on the ferry with my Dad. Bringing the 2002tii as well if its ready.

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

Congrats on your refurb and your New M Coupé !

Full service.

Replaced all the rear bushes including the diff bush from rock hard poly ones, back to BMW rubber ones.

Fixed the heated rear screen and rear wiper by cleaning up the wiring loom and replacing the broken motor with one from an e36 compact.

Replaced the AC Schnitzer short shifter to a new standard shifter and gear stick.

Next up;
                              Full respray and wheel refurb. With all new trim and windscreen. Booked in this month.

I have the car booked into the BMW club National show in August. Hoping to go over on the ferry with my Dad. Bringing the 2002tii as well if its ready.
                              I'm not a clown but the shoe is ///Mine
                              sigpic

Estoril/Estoril/black, B&M SSK, 6Spd S6S-420G, Strong Strut, R.Forbes sub-frame kit & RE dual ear diff cover, Supersprint Race Headers & Resonators & DTM Cat-backs, Bilstein B6 Sport, BBS RC 301 & 303 8.5/10x18" wheels, Alcon Mono6 355mm Front & Mono4 332mm Rear Full Floating BBK, Pro Ramp Variable Lock %75 LSD

Comment

Full service.

Next up;

You've been busy

Comment

Working...
                                X