Throttle Cable replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Cable replacement

Picking up a new Throttle cable tomorrow from BMW but not sure how to fit it? have looked in my Bentley manual from my old M3 evo and it just skips that bit completely, nothing of any use on the web either, is this because its so easy it requires no explanation or because its a real bitch and everyone just gets BM to fit them.

If any of you guys have replaced your cables any info would be very appreciated, Thanks.

A very easy 30 min max job! just follow the route of the old one.

Comment

I "may" take longer than 30mins in reality . It's not really hard just faffy and awkward at the pedal end (and locating through the bulkhead properly as it's really tight at this point), then following the original route over the engine. The throttle end is the easiest bit though!

Comment

Throttle cable replacement

I Completed this at the weekend and allow an hour. Getting the old cable released from the bulkhead is a pain as stated the access is tight and brute force was required.

Other than that it's easy and has transformed the car. Best 21 quid i have ever spent.

Regards
        Matt

Comment

Double post
          Last edited by freelandm; 05-04-2011, 04:19 PM. Reason: double post

Comment

Does anybody have the part number?

Comment

If you release the cable from the engine end first,there is plenty of inner cable to take off the pedal end,then route the new cable back down,....simples!you may need another person to press the peddle down to adjust the throttle opening.

Comment

The real OEM part number is 35412228373

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys.
                  Fitted it today, was a breeze and really satisfying as its made such a diffrence to the throttle which used to feel so tight and jerky, but with the new one on its silky smooth

Part number on bag?

Access was not as bad as expected as once the plastic trim was of I was able to see every thing, just disconnected the cable from the back of the pedal and then squeezed and pushed the grey plastic clip that sits in the bulk head.

So that the new one could be more easily routed through the bulk head I removed the cover of the box with all wiring.

All fitted

Didnt even have to adjust it at all, no slack and hit the throttle stop first time.

Comment

Wonderful old fashioned technology!!
                    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Just collected a new cable from Hexagon. Called up and ordered the part this morning as it was not in stock, and got a call at lunchtine saying it had been delivered and was ready to collect, impressive!

Useful pics Tuesday. I will replace it the weekend. Fingers crossed I'll notice the benefits as much as you.

Comment

In the immortal words of Bolckbusters... "Oh, what a difference".

About an hours work, very worthwhile. Also lubricated the pedal spring. The pedal's now very light and responsive.

Would recommend to any S50 owners with the original throttle cable still in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuesday View Post
                          Thanks for all the advice guys.
                          Fitted it today, was a breeze and really satisfying as its made such a diffrence to the throttle which used to feel so tight and jerky, but with the new one on its silky smooth

Part number on bag?

Access was not as bad as expected as once the plastic trim was of I was able to see every thing, just disconnected the cable from the back of the pedal and then squeezed and pushed the grey plastic clip that sits in the bulk head.

So that the new one could be more easily routed through the bulk head I removed the cover of the box with all wiring.

All fitted

Didnt even have to adjust it at all, no slack and hit the throttle stop first time.
                          I know this is not really part of this thread but does anyone know where to get those silver large extended hexagonal nuts from? The ones located on the throttle cable support and on the inlet trumpets.

Cheers

Comment

You used to be able to get them from BMW but I heard somewhere they stopped selling them, think they where about 5 pounds each so gets expensive if looking to replace them all. PM Keith he changed his a while ago.

Comment

I purchased from leatherz in the USA.

They are the same as the S54 engine cover bolts and can be used in varous locations around the engine bay.
                              S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Working...
                              X