Spare key advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare key advice

I only have one key for my car and have had an eye watering quote of £172 from BMW for a spare.

Has anyone got any advice on getting a spare key done for a more reasonable sum and any recommended places to source them?

Thanks.

Nick

Pete posted this recently,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...highlight=keys

Comment

Yup they are expensive,i had a convo with a car dealer about Insurances and it was mentioned that some company's will ask for your spare key if your unfortunate enough to have your car stolen! and then there might be problem's as you dont know who has the spare.

Comment

Originally posted by 4xhausts View Post
        I only have one key for my car and have had an eye watering quote of £172 from BMW for a spare.

Has anyone got any advice on getting a spare key done for a more reasonable sum and any recommended places to source them?

Thanks.

Nick
        Nick the problem I had was different to you in that I had both keys but they were in poor condition as regards the buttons which had worn away on one of the keys. The key I got from Spurs fan in a coupe was a fully functioning key from the car he was scrapping. All I needed was the button inserts, the rest I scrapped. I'll have a look in the garage rubbish bin to see if its still there.
        Question is if you got a key from him could you get the electronic internals reprogrammed to match your car, with these internals refitted into one of the cheap Chinese bodies, having had the blank blade recut to match your existing key. Does that make sense?
        I'm not sure if I'm correct but I seem to recall there is a little chip which is matched to your cars ECU which could be the stumbling block.
        Perhaps someone who is more familiar with the electronics side of things can provide more insight to this subject.
        Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
        2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
        1986 M635
        1985 E28 M5
        1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

My only key has worn buttons too, but it's more the fact that if I lose it (unlikely as I've lost one set of keys in about 25 years) I'd be completely stumped, but it's Sod's law so I was looking at getting a second one just in case.

I just ordered a load of parts from Harry Fairbairn BMW and asked out of interest what the key would be and was shocked at £172.

not sure what my options are....on a positive note, the car is coming along nicely.....Sills done, engine cleaned, new badges, gear box oil, tyres, gear stick, seats no longer rocking, wing mirrors painted, and new cam and plenum covers hopefully on order from aceman, as well as new bonnet latches. All I need is a key! (And alloy refurb....leather treated...the list goes on!)

Comment

Working...
          X