No announcement yet.

Silver S50 Cat D 68k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So many poor examples out there. Quite sad really.

I spoke to the guy selling the Estoril Blue 44k S50 which is not described as Cat listed and he said he will get this removed by means of Condition Inspected.

Personally I find this new scheme a cover up for cars with sketchy history and which any old folk can sell a car which has effectively covered its chequered past.

IMO there is nothing to wrong with CAT cars but if buying I would want to see photos pre and post repair with inspection reports. I.E, transparency. So often it's all guess work combined with bulllshit which is just not right.

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

I didn't realise a category D or C could be removed, is this a new thing?

Comment

Lucky we have the forum to give the true condition and history of many of these cars appearing lately. "condition inspected" - buyer beware

Comment

There appear to be quite a few Cat D MCs around, considering the small number made. Maybe they are catching out "the front wheel drive generation".
          S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

A lot of these cars get written off due to over zealous assessors pricing up parts that take the repair bill to over 60-75% of the cars value.

Take for example a front end smash - a bonnet, headlights and front bumper alone are £5000 plus vat not to mention other costly parts.

I think car d cars are fine if the damage is known and the repair is professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Rags View Post
              A lot of these cars get written off due to over zealous assessors pricing up parts that take the repair bill to over 60-75% of the cars value.

Take for example a front end smash - a bonnet, headlights and front bumper alone are £5000 plus vat not to mention other costly parts.

I think car d cars are fine if the damage is known and the repair is professional.
              As an owner of a CAT C coupe which was written off in my ownership I would agree with this.

My car was written off due to interior fire damage when a boot floor repair was being carried out and the assessor put the damage at 19k for parts alone, but when you consider that a replacement front seat was priced at (I think) £3250, thats 7.5k from the get go and the fact that I had paid just over 10k for the car a few months earlier meant that it was going to be written off.

The damage to the seat was the passenger headrest a bit melted and molten drips from the headlining falling onto them, they were re-trimmed for £1100 including alcantara shells, alcantara on the A Pillars, gear and handbrake gators, and the door panels were re-trimmed to avoid any slight mismatch with the new seats. When removing the headlining even the speaker cables were completely untouched as the fire had been extinguished so quickly that it just spread across the surface and didn't actually burn through anything.

Looking back, and with the way prices have gone over the last 3 and a bit years maybe I should have tried to come to an agreement where it wasn't written off but I don't plan to sell anytime soon.

If a 50k car is written off in the first year I would steer well clear, but if a 50k car is written off 10 years later when its worth 5k then it could be very little damage that has caused it.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsG View Post
                So many poor examples out there. Quite sad really.

I spoke to the guy selling the Estoril Blue 44k S50 which is not described as Cat listed and he said he will get this removed by means of Condition Inspected.

Personally I find this new scheme a cover up for cars with sketchy history and which any old folk can sell a car which has effectively covered its chequered past.

IMO there is nothing to wrong with CAT cars but if buying I would want to see photos pre and post repair with inspection reports. I.E, transparency. So often it's all guess work combined with bulllshit which is just not right.
                Condition Inspected has been around for years. Car is still on the register and cannot be removed, it just means the CAT D or CAT C status is changed to 'Condition Inspected' which would bring some comfort to me if I was buying a damaged car as so many of them have sketchy repairs. Autolign (might have that wrong) are the only people who can do the inspection.

CAT D cars only need an MOT to get them back on the road. CAT C needs an extra check (VIC test, which is probably more focused on stopping 'ringers') and then an MOT. An extra check from someone looking for the work being done to a decent standard can't be a bad thing.

£18k for a written off and repaired Z3M? I'd think any buyer would also need their head inspected.

Comment

This particular car was repaired with wrong parts that are still fitted. For 18K I would have thought this should have been sorted, suppose its about profit!
                  Last edited by greenelekta; 05-05-2016, 07:01 PM.

Comment

But the way prices have gone of late, £18k is the cheapest way into a MC, which is only because it is a Cat D, if it wasn't, it would be £25k....
                    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                      But the way prices have gone of late, £18k is the cheapest way into a MC, which is only because it is a Cat D, if it wasn't, it would be £25k....
                      4K cheaper and correct

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3019307794...84.m1436.l2649

Comment

Originally posted by greenelekta View Post
                        Nearly double the mileage as well
                        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

...and been for sale months. Priced correctly they move in days.

Comment

Correct as in repaired parts

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                              Nearly double the mileage as well
                              If you believe mileage

Comment

Cheapest Coupe at the moment,

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1004135

Comment

Working...
                                X