X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manifold fitted, then ready to drop in engine bay

Nearly there...

Comment

I also had the injectors cleaned, refurbished and flow checked prior to refitting. This turned out to be a bit of nightmare and why the car didn't start after hooking everything up and filling her with fluids. Anyway to cut a long story short, the car would not run and sounded as if it was only firing on two or three cylinders. I check the plugs and coils and all was ok, anyway Phil came round with the diagnostics kit and no faults came up... after a bit of faffing it turned out that 2 out the 6 newly refurbed injectors were jammed shut, not functioning. After a little gentle persuasion with a lump hammer we got the injectors freed up and the car idled fine, but with a slight misfire. The misfire was again traced to a faulty injector and after fitting a secondhand item to cylinder 1 yesterday the car runs sweet as a nut with near silent vanos chatter... just need to insure and tax it now so that I can run her in

Here are some final pics:

Hope you all enjoyed this little thread.

Paul
      Last edited by Wav; 31-10-2009, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Fantastic thread, incredible work.

this is where the bolts fail causing sudden loss of oil on S50 engines,

Found that out last week for myself.

Comment

Very impressive

Thanks for taking the effort to write it up!

Paul

Comment

Exellent thread..well done matie!

Comment

The reason i love wasting tooo much time on this forum is because of posts like these.....good work!!!
              Black S50

Comment

No 3 shell bearing

All, just as a matter of interest, my no 3 shell bearing failure necessitated an engine replacement, £5.5K later, sorted, surely a known fault of the S50 by now? And agreed, a superb article/thread, very informative and written in layman's terms, which suited me fine!
                James (JKE11Y)

Comment

Originally posted by jke11y View Post
                  All, just as a matter of interest, my no 3 shell bearing failure necessitated an engine replacement, £5.5K later, sorted, surely a known fault of the S50 by now? And agreed, a superb article/thread, very informative and written in layman's terms, which suited me fine!
                  James (JKE11Y)
                  It certainly looks to be that way, the main concerns are with shells 3 and 5 spinning. The tabs fail, so if I owned or was to buy an S50 and the mileage was aproaching 100k then I would definitely consider changing the shells and replacing the rod bolts with ARP items. It might not be a fatigue problem, but if it is then changing the shells would save you considerable money and hassle in the long term.

Paul

Comment

so what kind of time and money (roughly) would be involved for a garage to change these shells and bolts?

Would the garage still have to drop the engine etc?

Comment

Originally posted by issproking View Post
                      so what kind of time and money (roughly) would be involved for a garage to change these shells and bolts?

Would the garage still have to drop the engine etc?
                      Pretty much the same as an S54 shell swap, except you'd need to change the rod bolts for either new std ones or ARP items. Engine can stay in, just need the subframe removed in order to get enough room to remove the sump.

Time wise I would say 6 hours book time plus £150 for the shells and £80 for the ARP bolts, plus £70 for fresh oil and filter. So you'd probably be looking at £600+ from a good indy.

Paul

Comment

Very interesting post WAV - much appreciated.

My cars' "bottom end" is untouched at 140K and all is well (touch wood/famous last words etc).

I am aware of problems with US cars main bearings. Do we feel UK S54's should have shells replaced as a preventative measure?
                        S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
                          Very interesting post WAV - much appreciated.

My cars' "bottom end" is untouched at 140K and all is well (touch wood/famous last words etc).

I am aware of problems with US cars main bearings. Do we feel UK S54's should have shells replaced as a preventative measure?
                          For sure...just search the forum...several S54 owners had to replace them (myself included). Many US owners have done it to.
                          Last edited by don.juan; 09-11-2009, 10:36 AM.
                          ///M Coupe 2001 S54 Steel Grey - Paulo M.
                          -------------------------------------------
                          ----- Sporting Clube Portugal - Forever -----

Comment

Working...
                          X