aux fan noise? do you have it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aux fan noise? do you have it?

Recently I've noticed I have some slight 'fan' noise from interior, even if I manually set fan to off. It is coming from right side (passenger on LHD), somewhere around the speaker, and it hears as if speaker noise (thats what I tought of first). It can also be heard from engine bay with hood up.

I've asked my mechanic about it and he was unsure whether it is normal or not, or even what it is of. He said maybe it is coming from secondary fan for venting the interior.

Can someone check with their car, if this noise is present event with fan switched off? Or if someone knows the explanation, please share it :)

Hi There. It's normal (unfortunately). The ECU fan, for some reason, vents into the cabin down by your right foot...

It is said that you can disconnect it with no ill-effects, but I've never done it so couldn't comment.

I found it bloody annoying when I first bought the car because otherwise MCs are remarkably quiet for what they are. Why BMW would do this is beyond me, but don't worry, it's not a fault. I know this because I was so convinced it was a poorly earthed speaker or something that I had almost the entire car in pieces trying to identify the source! I think C_W saved my sanity in the end.....

Comment

I have a similar noise which sounds like the heater blower is still on, as said could be the ecu fan.

Comment

It's def the ECU fan, it's like a PC fan in the ECU box but it's vent is into the cabin so the sound is transmitted too. If you open the ecu box the fan is at the bottom, I'm sure there's just a plug you can disconnect. I doubt the ECU would ever overheat in the UK, but I don't mind fan noises anyway, I generally have the blowers on 3 all the time!!!

Comment

Thanks guys for clarifying. It doesnt sound very normal, but I guess it is :)

Comment

It should come on all the time on ignition on so if it switches on and off then it's definintely the normal ECU fan in the RHS footwell.

Comment

Excellent, another 'is it supposed to make that sound?' question answered. Just leaves me one more to trace... for now
              Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
              ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
              Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Working...
              X