X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you explain the market

Hi

As I intend to join you happy bunch of petrol heads in the not too distant

future I started looking and monitoring the for sale section a few months ago

and have found the market confusing.

Coming from a ten year background of RX 7's I'm used the there being a wide

swing in what ppl think there car is worth. However with RX 7's this is usually

attributed to the modifications carried out and the money spent, making their

car different from others.

This doesn't seem to apply to your cars, they are by and large to

manufacturers spec - so why the difference of up 10k for similar cars.

I am fully aware that you only get what you pay for but I'm struggling to find

reasons to justify up to 10k differences.

The stock answer is usually that the market is bad atm - I've never known it

good when trying to sell performance cars.

I've read through the common faults etc and most of the cars for sale have

them sorted.

Please don't read this in any other way than a general observation.

I don't know if the guy with the cad d for sale on ebay frequents the site but

I'd be interested to know why he thinks it hasn't been snapped up.

Even with the issue of the cat d it must still be cheap - unless..............

Thanks

John
    "I started with nothing and have most of it left"

S50 vs S54 I expect :) S54 has the higher price.

Comment

John, it boggles my mind too.

Prior to buying my silver S50 2 years ago, I was very tempted by the Phoenix Yellow S54 (a car previously owned by 2 forum members) that is now for sale at Hexagon. It was above my budget at the time and I decided against it. Ever since then I keep nipping on to the Hexagon website and the voices start up again, lol. I just love Phoenix Yellow MCs

I didn't get as far as going down to view the S54 (but I know it's very good condition) and neither did Hexagon get to see my S50 (though I'd consider it in good condition too) but the price difference between their modded S54 and my (fairly similarly modded) S50 with 20k miles more on the clock... £15k

Guess who walked away again
      Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
      ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
      Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Loads of reasons, with varying degrees of rationality.

(1) Servicing is everythnig. This is a very highly strung engine and has to be treated well.
        (2) S50 vs. S54 is a material difference. The changeover year was 2001.
        (3) Most people have these as spare cars, and so aren't in any rush to sell. that often means they'll start high and lower the price over time.
        (4) Some people aren't that keen on selling - yes, they might have been told to by their better half, but if nobody buys it, they can't sell it, right? ;)
        (5) It's a thinly traded market: there aren't many around, and so demand peaks and troughs can be bigger than with somethig more common.
        (5) Colour makes a big difference. e.g. There are only 45 Imola Reds in RHD, and about 2 Laguna Seca Blues, but hundreds of Estoril Blues.
        (6) These aren't cheap cars to run, and some people are determined to 'get what they're owed'. They forget it's a passion, not a business. ;)

Probably lots of factors I've missed, but someone else will fill you in.

Comment

I guarantee that if you buy almost anything! someone will tell you that "you should have told me,i could get that for..." same with anything really,prices seem to be a bit random,they always have been,some people just want rid of,some people need to get rid of,some dealers seem to trade on their name....if you find one thats in your budget then thats reduces your choices...high miles should not put you off,condition and history is important,with colour coming in last...

Comment

dont be scared of cat d , i bought one a few months ago and i use it every day , park it on a drive and fix it myself . Its not the best example and never will be but when im done with it ill sell it cheap because i bought it cheap and enjoyed it . Values depend on what your gonna use it for .

Comment

in a word NO you've got more chance of explaining a woman's mind.

Ive seen great cars on here both modded and standard that have struggled to sell

then not so good cars that have flown out the window

s54 will always get a premium undeservedly in my opinion

low miles .. well obviously worth a premium to a degree a few on here have turned up with altered mileage
              the problem with low miles is once you use it as an every day runner you loose money

i could go on and on but in reality I`m stumped
              [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Could it be that some of the sellers know that there's a deep recession going on, and others still think it's "business as usual"?
                /// Exdos ///
                "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
                  Could it be that some of the sellers know that there's a deep recession going on, and others still think it's "business as usual"?
                  For some it still is business as usual.
                  Markets are strange in that not all a set predictable formula.
                  Many markets have bucked the recession, high end london property for example.

Strong car with low miles and right colour will IMHO will always be in demand.

Missing history, anything but great bodywork and mechanicals, mods (sorry!) will detract from value.

For these good cars the market has been rising since 2009 as more cars pile on more miles and fall into the wrong hands, get crashed/abused.
                  Ex S50 99 Cosmos Black / Black interior

Comment

Originally posted by sday12 View Post
                    For some it still is business as usual.
                    Very true. But don't most of those presently doing well buy newer cars than 10+ year old used cars such as MCs? I would expect that the rich car collectors who want a MC for their collection probably bought their pristine examples years ago.
                    /// Exdos ///
                    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Disagree, it's not just the mega wealthy where it is business as usual.
                      Proffesional middle classes, still employed, same wage, same aspirations.
                      Ex S50 99 Cosmos Black / Black interior

Comment

A friend of mine owns Romans international,(take a look ) and i was in there the other day.and he has amongst other exotics two Verons..his words "i will be glad to see the back of them"!! something you dont hear every day !!! even he is having to work harder to sell stuff..but he is selling! i aggree with exdos that the big boys out there require a much higher priced car! even if its just to piss the neighbours off!

Comment

I have a feeling things will pick up when more of my cohort (I was doing GCSEs when the mc ended production) are in their 30s and have more disposable income and cheaper insurance.

Think what's happened to 80s cars when the kids who had posters of them growing up, got old and rich enough to buy them...

Comment

Originally posted by breezer View Post
                            I have a feeling things will pick up when more of my cohort (I was doing GCSEs when the mc ended production) are in their 30s and have more disposable income and cheaper insurance.

Think what's happened to 80s cars when the kids who had posters of them growing up, got old and rich enough to buy them...
                            Good point, never actually thought of that!
                            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

I suppose most has been said, but just a couple of points to make, standard cars don't always command the most money, not where the coupe is concerned, these cars were produced on a very tight budget, and therefore some of the components are probably not as they should have been.
                              Take the suspension set up for example, probably the Achilles heal of the car, drive a standard car, then drive one that's been properly sorted and you will not believe the difference it makes.
                              Exhausts are a personal thing, but again, have one fitted or indeed, modify the existing set up, to allow the engine to breathe properly, and again, one hell of a difference.
                              These are just a couple of mods that can be done to the coupe, without changing the outward appearance of the car, so you won't have a car that looks like it came straight out of halfords shop front, lol.
                              As for the Phoenix yellow car, well, what can I say, if you want a good one that's been looked after, and has all the mods that most owners are after then you won't go far wrong.
                              If you fancy going to have a look at it then give me a shout, I'm sure I can ask a contact down there to look after you.
                              Lastly, if you buy a standard car, you will then spend time and money improving it even further, so don't be put off buying a " modded" car, as long as its been done correctly.
                              I bet that's as clear as mud now.
                              2002 phoenix yellow. "V3RY M" lives on, but on another beast.

Comment

Working...
                              X