Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aargghhh - why is choosing new suspension so difficult?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aargghhh - why is choosing new suspension so difficult?!

As the title says really! KWV3s are just so damn expensive and can standard droplinks work or not with them?!

Not many other complete kits out there that are made specifically for the MC so it's a case of picking and choosing bits - but which are best?!

Obviously a lot comes down to the scope of adjustment required and £ you have to spend but it still seems too hard!

I think the specifically tuned ACS Road or Race kit is what I need but guess what, you can't buy them anymore!

Not sure what the point of this rant is but getting sick of looking now!
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

What about this kit?

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap...sk/ssk239.html

edit - I have no idea if its any good
    Last edited by Dave P; 11-02-2013, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I think i spotted those, certainly a good price. As with these things, a lot goes on recommendation and with so many kits not just being a direct fit, needing spaces, different links etc, its always a risk buying something different as it turns into a leap into the unknown!

I am sure if ACS still made their kit at a decent price it would sell.
      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Nearly every set of coilovers I have fitted needed spacers on he front as the locking ring for the springs sits lower than the OEM spring hat and rubs the rim.

Also drop links are easy to source in alternate lengths I just use universal turnbuckles on mine.

I had BC racing Z3m coupe spec coilovers on my m3 compact okay for the money as they also come with new front and rear topmounts, but they are a lot firmer than OEM.
        BMW e21 track car
        Z3M (S62)
        2.8 Z3 Coupe
        Ariel Atom
        GT86 race car
        Ferrari 348 Challenge
        Merc G500

Comment

I went through this for some time. In the end replaced all with oem parts.

My final logic was the BMW had designed a rounded road M car that was good enough for my needs and I didn't have the expertise to take the risk of spoiling the compromise (between handling and ride quality).

I'm happy with the decision.
          S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

I changed my rears over to "gaz" had already replaced OEM springs when i had the boot floor done! i could not afford anything on the large size due to hrmc! at the time,i find the gaz ones more than adequate for me...for sure there not adjustable..i just needed to replace mine as my oem ones just felt dead...i also run Hrs aswell...not a problem i no longer do that many miles so should last some time...gonna replace the fronts with the same..

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
              I went through this for some time. In the end replaced all with oem parts.

My final logic was the BMW had designed a rounded road M car that was good enough for my needs and I didn't have the expertise to take the risk of spoiling the compromise (between handling and ride quality).

I'm happy with the decision.
              Its certainly the easier way out!

Did it feel much different with it just being new?

Comment

What you need to do is find an MC owner with a spare set of ACS road suspension with just 18,000 miles on it, who is willing to sell. Unfortunately for you, I'll be keeping hole of mine

Sorry, couldn't resist
                Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

change suspension on m coupe is best money spent..
                  I go for gaz,some people tell is really good..
                  Or going to ast or kw v3
                  www.fastdrive.org
                  S50 black/black-red In Rome
                  Front BBK Stoptech Red+Eibach Sway Bars+Kw Clubsport Whit Camber plates+Weichers Strutbar+Agk Urethane front Silent Block & differential Bushing+Tuner Motorposrt Alluminium Rear Mount+Hamann Exaust

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
                    What you need to do is find an MC owner with a spare set of ACS road suspension with just 18,000 miles on it, who is willing to sell. Unfortunately for you, I'll be keeping hole of mine

Sorry, couldn't resist
                    Some people would call that greedy...!

Comment

Im going through the same thing at the moment . I must say i find the whole thing a bit of a mind field .
                      Having said that im either going with the koni kit that dave p posted a link too or some apex rdx coilovers , there very well priced and a friend of mine has them on his e46 m3 for over a year now and he's well pleased with them .
                      Just got to get some spacers and top mounts too .
                      2ND GEAR SIDEWAYS ///M

Comment

I've been looking as well,as I would like it to sit a little lower.

Larkspeed have a Koni Sport kit with H&R springs, but the front shocks are inserts only for £642.
                        Estoril blue S50 - 2000: Bilstien B8's, Spax adjustables, H&R springs, H&R anti-roll bars, Rogue top mounts, Tints, M5 alloys, Simota, Supersprint, ACS splitters.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                          Some people would call that greedy...!
                          I'd call it wise
                          Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                          ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                          Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

spooks, yes a huge difference, especially at the rear.
                            S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Does anyone have the H&R monotube kit fitted to their car or know what it's like?

Have found this kit...

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/fra...es.asp?code=84

But can't seem to find the more adjustable kit anywhere in the UK...

http://www.eurosportdesign.com/p-117...coilovers.aspx
                              Last edited by Spooks; 25-02-2013, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X