No announcement yet.

Silver S50 Cat D 68k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, agreed... Going into this with my eyes open... to clarify my earlier point regarding non M parts was in reference to the bumper and headlights, but need to clarify whether the internal components were correct spec... from the conversations I've had I don't have any reason to believe this part would have needed replacing but it is good advice and I'll check it out.

Comment

Hi Paul, good advice... should clarify my intention is to purchase for a road trip across Europe later this year taking in 4 of the top 10 driving roads in Europe and sell it on. I've had the money virtually already spent on a boxster s but, in honesty, it's never floated my boat but is well regarded as a driving car. We'll see on this one, it well spec'd and appears to have been repaired well and maintained by an enthusiastic owner.

Fingers crossed this thorough cat d inspection is in line with what I have been told and the car... also in and years time shouldn't lose too much on my outlay.

Comment

Originally posted by paulwirral View Post
        I had a cat d for 18 month or so and had a hoot with it , this investment lark is boring , get into buy to let property if your looking for financial returns , then keep your fingers crossed
        I'm not talking about investment and I'm not against cat d, I've bought cat d cars repaired with correct parts and had no problems but the black paint and none M parts on this one + price?
        Last edited by greenelekta; 05-03-2015, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by greenelekta View Post
          I'm not talking about investment and I'm not against cat d, I've bought cat d cars repaired with correct parts and had no problems but the black paint and none M parts on this one + price?
          Looking at the other insurance repaired cars on the market this one doesn't seem too out of the ordinary... what price do you think would make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by ed_d82 View Post
            Looking at the other insurance repaired cars on the market this one doesn't seem too out of the ordinary... what price do you think would make sense?
            Its not insurance repaired, if it was it wouldn't be cat d.

Best you look at it and pay what it is worth to you.

Good luck
            Last edited by greenelekta; 01-03-2015, 10:41 PM.

Comment

It doesn't matter who repaired it. It will always be category D.

The more these become collectable the less that means though.

Comment

Originally posted by itsdashy View Post
                It doesn't matter who repaired it. It will always be category D.

The more these become collectable the less that means though.
                That's in line with my thinking to be honest... There is a shrinking pool of cars and the top end of the market will obviously be charging a premium for low mileage, original spec and dealer maintained cars. The middle bracket will be taken by high mileage well maintained and the bottom (which I think this is priced within) will be the cat d, low mileage well repaired cars and for those who are looking to have a usable drivers car for what is becoming a pretty rare sight.

Out of interest - has anyone on here viewed the cat d, Estoril blue for sale on target?

Comment

Spoke to the repairing garage... engine bay painted black as he thinks it looks better, not to cover up anything untoward. Seems like an unusual mod but if I remember correctly matt black is a popular 'old school' mechanic update to make things look better. He has been repairing cars for 32 years he informs me... If I remember correctly this is also a popular choice with the TV mechanic Edd China...

Comment

Insurance write offs usually attract the less desirable members of society to be involved somewhere along the line. They see it as a prime opportunity to either buy it knowing it is CAT C/D and sell it on not claiming that marker. That normally gets picked up with a HPI check though. They also quite often get haircuts, with the brilliant cover story of "the insurance company never returned the service book etc etc."

By the way, this is an industry norm, not specifically Z3Ms and I am certainly not insinuating that this has happened on this vehicle.

A lot of things don't quite stack up that previous members have posted. A write off in 2004 would be for fairly serious damage, not a bumper scuff. You seem pretty made up on this one so I don't think anything I write or anyone else will change your mind though.

Comment

No appreciate what you're saying, I'm being rational and thinking that a lot of the story I have been told through the previous owners seems to add up (along with the mileage).

The jury is split on the Cat D/insurance write off camps... I've never owned or considered one in the past but the rarity of the M coupe means that the ones within my budget seem to fall within this category.

I believe that this car would have been worth c. £20k when it was in an accident (some forums indicate that insurance companies always put a lower figure than market due to the pay out - so possibly from an insurers perspective £18k). Cat d by definition is where the repairs cost less than the value of the vehicle and I believe that anything greater than 60% of value results in a w/o so between 11 - 12k... as this was an expensive car at the time the damage wouldn't necessarily needed to have been severe, just severe enough for the insurer to view it as not worth it financially and get salvage money for it.

Of course I could be wrong but we'll see what the cat d inspection throws out.

Comment

Ed

Be patient....... I'm sure something less risky will come up soon.

The car has been off the road for 7 years ( not good for any car).

The repair has been made on the cheap using non M parts, what other corners have been cut?

Under the bonnet has been painted black, why.

The seller will always tell you what you want to hear with regards to the repair.

I don't know anything about this car but for me there are too many questions to take a 'punt'. If you were looking to strip out as a track car then yeah maybe, but I think there is a real risk of ending up with a lemon with this one.

Just my thoughts.......

Comment

Had the same thoughts !

Comment

All you can do is get it inspected and decide when you have all the facts

Comment

Thanks... appreciate the advice, believe me I'm not one to hand over cash for something I don't think is worth it (my Mrs will attest to this) so will only be agreeing the sale pending the review by a qualified assessor and at the right price.

If it's safe and the repairs have been completed to a high standard, the dossier from the garage is in place only then will the remaining balance be transferred.

The usage of a non M bumper and headlight do not put me off if I'm honest as these are replaceable. The car is in really good nick, the interior, body work, wheels are all mint and it runs good, sounds good, steers stragiht and the brakes have been done as part of the recommissioning.

Regarding the SORN, the advert posted on Piston Heads was completed by a friend of the seller in the trade. He made a couple of errors when posting, notably that the car has been intermittently SORN (the VOSA print out shows the mileage increasing at the relevant MOTs) the current owner is the 3rd owner not the second (lease company/garage owner/now current), the mileage is 66k (not 68k) and that the damage was n/f/s when in fact it was front end.

I'm hoping that these errors probably put most off viewing it! Anyway, as above I'll only be transferring the cash if I'm happy with the car and the owner is fine with this.

If there are any forum members in Hull this Thursday who fancy coming with me you're welcome!

Comment

Ed, I know nothing of the car or seller other than what I have read in this thread but I'll just express one point.....

Stand back and remove yourself from the position that you want to buy this car to get into M Coupe ownership... imagine it was a mate of yours who was buying a car where...

It was fitted with lots of incorrect, expensive to replace parts, the parts that make it what it is
                                Its painted the wrong colour
                                It has lots of important items incorrectly detailed "as his mate completed it for him"
                                It's not been used for years

What would you say to him?

Just make sure your heart doesn't rule your head for the money you're going to spend
                                2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Working...
                                X