No announcement yet.

auxilary fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got the car nice and hot and viscos was moving at same speed and resistance as was when cold so i removed it to find a loose back plate which pushes a rod in the centre.this was also weaping oil..new one ordered.i am still concearned that the auxilary fan did not start when temp gauge went to 3/4.i have tried shorting out number 30 and 87 in relay which i am told should run auxilary on slow as a back up if viscos breaks but still only works when aircon on .thank you all for help,

Comment

Jess have you got a copy of the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual? I have an electronic PDF copy on my laptop, I've just looked on the section which contains the auxiliary fan, I'm no auto electrian so not sure what to make of it all. If you want a copy let me know, it may assist in fathoming out your problem.
      Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
      2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
      1986 M635
      1985 E28 M5
      1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

cheers pete i have ordered a resistor which should sort auxilary so will be ready for corbridge,hopefully see you there.

Comment

If you disconnect the thermo temp sensor on the radiator (driver's side), there are three pins, one will be a common pin so grounding the other two one at a time to it should give slow and fast speed aux fan.

You'd be suprised how high the aux fan waits to kick in on the thermoswitch, I saw well over 3/4 once (this was because of an air lock when I'd changed the coolant). You can get a 1.9 Z3 thermoswtich which is a much lower temp switch.

The Coupe temp switch is set at 91deg/99deg but the early 1.9 Z3/E36s had an 80/88 which means they kick in much earlier (remember this is the radiator temp - not the engine temp which can be hotter).

Part number 61318376440 should be 80/88 temp and the right connector for a straight swap. Can be done without draining the coolant, jsut be quick and you'll only loose a small amount.

Comment

Originally posted by jess robson View Post
            cheers pete i have ordered a resistor which should sort auxilary so will be ready for corbridge,hopefully see you there.
            Hope you get sorted with the new resistor. See you at Corbridge on Sunday, pray for good weather!!

Do you need a copy of that Electrical Manual? If so bring a memory stick along on Sunday and I copy it for you from my laptop.
            Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
            2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
            1986 M635
            1985 E28 M5
            1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

i have shorted out at temp switch on rad and slow speed is not working.when auxilary comes on at 3/4 is it at high speed or low speed,thank you all for replies.

Comment

3/4 hot points to a problem,hopefully it is the viscous fan.

Comment

Originally posted by jess robson View Post
                  i have shorted out at temp switch on rad and slow speed is not working.when auxilary comes on at 3/4 is it at high speed or low speed,thank you all for replies.
                  Not sure, one way would be two bridge the two low and high speed wires together, so that whichever is triggered it will switch the fan on?

Comment

Working...
                  X