Dad car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad car!

So, with my Coupe soon to be moving on I need to sort out a Dad car for the imminent arrival of twins, to go with the two dogs and me and the wife. So I'm looking at BMW Tourings.

Has anyone had a 320D/520D or 330D/530D? I'm reading tons of horror stories regarding the turbo dying. I really dont want to invest in a car that I'm then listening for any signs of the turbo blowing. It sounds like this could be a common problem with both cars. Has anyone owned either?

Other than that I'm looking at the Volvo V70 or A6 Avant. Really not sure, but my heart's still with BMW. Maybe a petrol Touring.

If anyone's had any experience with any of the above I'd be very grateful to hear your feedback.

Originally posted by wefail View Post
    So, with my Coupe soon to be moving on I need to sort out a Dad car for the imminent arrival of twins, to go with the two dogs and me and the wife. So I'm looking at BMW Tourings.

Has anyone had a 320D/520D or 330D/530D? I'm reading tons of horror stories regarding the turbo dying. I really dont want to invest in a car that I'm then listening for any signs of the turbo blowing. It sounds like this could be a common problem with both cars. Has anyone owned either?

Other than that I'm looking at the Volvo V70 or A6 Avant. Really not sure, but my heart's still with BMW. Maybe a petrol Touring.

If anyone's had any experience with any of the above I'd be very grateful to hear your feedback.
    I've been running an E61 520D M Sport '06 for the last two years, now on 105K. Only problem I've had is with the suspension, the self levelling compressor went on it, very common on 3 & 5 series estates. Part alone costs approx £600 from BMW, £450 from eBay. Apart from that brilliant car.

Comment

I have an E91 325i Touring - very good, but max of one medium sized dog and a small dog in back.

Great 6 cylinder, non turbo engine, 35 mpg overall.

An excellent family/business car.

Ian
      S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Thanks for the info, gents.

That's one worry with the 3, that it wont be big enough. We've only got 2 small terriers but the bloody double pram has to go in there, too!

There's a couple of very low mileage 2007 520Ds on the market at the moment, tempted but my only concern is that expensive turbo issue. Might try and find a petrol 5 Touring of some kind.

Thanks again!

Comment

3-series touring is not that big in the boot, also my brothers A4 Avant won't fit my pram base frame in flat either!!

If you're only doing low miles might be better to look at petrol which will be cheaper to buy initially and probabnly lower miles on it too?

Comment

Agh. Is the 3 really that small, Chris? I'm going to need to get a ton of stuff in the back. Including the dogs. I think it's going to have to be a 5.

Stumbled on this tonight, some awesome old estates in there. Even got me looking at the E30.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...tate+car&mid=0

Comment

I agree with the above, the 3 series estate is not worth having IMHO. The 520d estate is probably the best all round estate you can get to me.

I've ran a 320d saloon (56 plate) for 50k and now a 535d saloon. The 3 series is a great car but feels a lot smaller than the 5 series for a family. None of mine have every missed a beat and have taken some real stick. My 5 series is really abused, dents scratches everywhere but apart from a dodgy rear parking sensor has been brilliant.

Top of my list for a change is a 5 series tourer as you can't believe how much room you need from a daily driver for the kids stuff

ps the only really expensive bit is the bloody runflats if you are running low profile wheels (glad I don't have to pay for them).
              Last edited by Jonttt; 08-07-2012, 10:40 PM.
              VIDEO or Journal

Comment

BMW X3 maybe?
                2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

I had two E91s (320d Touring) from new and done about 130k with them, no problems at all except for a blown central locking fuse and a smaller gearbox oil leak on my second one.

Great cars but way too small for two kids and two dogs, honestly. Definitely get a 5 series which is much bigger.

Comment

Thanks all. 5 Series it is. Shame they're all in London at the moment.

Comment

Thanks all. 5 Series it is. Shame they're all in London at the moment.
                      535d touring then?!
                      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Ahh, well you see in the week I'll only be using it for super short runs. It's only going to get a good run on a weekend. So I'm a bit worried about going diesel.

Might go for petrol.

Comment

Might go for petrol.
                          Good. M5 tourer, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                            BMW X3 maybe?
                            you can get an X3 SD! which has the 3.0 twin turbo diesel

the insides of them dont look very big though ?
                            so might be better off sticking to a regular car than any kind of 4x4 (just heavier and more fuel, with not a lot more room)

Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by sk8flex View Post
                              Good. M5 tourer, then.
                              Good call indeed!

Comment

Working...
                              X