My Imola Red S50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovely

Lovely Car Allan, I chased this too but believe you got there just before me!! lol, if you get bored drop me a line

Comment

welcome to the forum

Comment

Alan welcome to the forum! the gear changing i can share with you,when i bought mine i thought i was driving a very quick tractor! you will find that the Storm knob will make a vast difference,ive used one for a few years now,and couldn't believe what a difference it made and also looks very nice,very cold in the morning tho!i had my steering wheel re-worked,made thicker and that also made a difference immediately.enjoy the car be carefull in the wet don;t be too keen to exit!

Comment

Well, fitted my stormwerks gear knob the other day. Quite surprised at how much a difference just a gear knob can make, seemed to make the changes a lot easier although it still feels quite notchy and doesn't seem to spring back so I'm getting the oil changed next week along with a few other jobs.

Today I freed up the boot lock that was sticking and while I was at it took the number plate up which looked like it had quite a mess behind it. I don't have the plate holder on the rear but was wondering how it attaches, I have 4 holes in the bootlid, 2 that have rubber washers and 2 that look like someone has drilled at some point to attach the number plate and the number plate must have been rubbing on this area as a lot of the paint had been taken and i don't want to attach it like that again for too long.

Also gave it a policy and started to notice a few marks in the paint that I hadn't seen before, it's amazing how much more you notice when it's properly clean, worst areas being the rear arches but I think most of that might have been done in the last couple of weeks as I'm sure it wasn't as bad when I bought the car.

Comment

Here's a couple of pictures of the boot and plate holder, it fixes with a couple of "blind nuts" and bolts,

Comment

Yeah, thats what I thought, someone has drilled 2 more holes in the tailgate at some point.

This is what mine looked like:

and the rubbing around the holes:

After a rough touch up to try and give it a bit of protection

Also £130 for the plate holder seems a bit steep?

Comment

Originally posted by alanw89 View Post

Also £130 for the plate holder seems a bit steep?
                Got mine from bmminiparts for around £30. Comes in primer.

P/N 51 13 8411033
                Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
                2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
                1986 M635
                1985 E28 M5
                1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

There's two part numbers listed for the rear plate holder as Pete says the first is only £30ish as this is in primer the second is painted I think

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&fg=60&hl=53

Comment

Thanks, will be adding one of those to my list of things to buy in the future as I've spent a bit much this first month already.

Picking the car up from the garage tomorrow after getting a few things done.
                    • Gearbox oil changed
                      Brake fluid change
                      Braided brake hoses
                      Brake pipes cleaned up and protected
                      Braided clutch hose
                      2 of the exhaust hangers changed
                      Front wishbone bushes changed
                      Diff hanger bush changed
                      Oil leak from engine to be fixed (looked to be CPV when we looked at it before putting the car in)
                      Droplinks
                      30mm lowering springs fitted

I think that's everything although they might not be doing the diff bush, cant remember if i definitely asked them to do that.

I supplied some of the parts so hoping the bill wont be too big and after this I think that should it be pretty much sound mechanically bar getting the Vanos seals etc changed as a precaution.

Comment

Before

After

What do we think? Personally i think it looks a lot better in person, a couple of mm higher at the back would be perfect for me. Still have spacers to arrive to see what difference they make but don't think it even really needs them.

Driving wise the gearbox feels a lot better, the oil change seems to have taken away a lot of the notchiness that was there before and the clutch feels better aswell.

Oil leak was the o-ring for the CVP, they showed me the old o ring and it felt like hard plastic so obviously had never been changed.

All in all pretty happy with the peace of mind that everything should be OK for now, even though the bill was a bit bigger than i was expecting.

Comment

looks much better! you may be able to high'er the rear a bit by using thicker spring pads?

Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by indy View Post
                          looks much better! you may be able to high'er the rear a bit by using thicker spring pads?
                          Looking good!

I do agree though, rear needs raising to level it out.
                          2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Guess you'll get more "speedboat" nose lift with the lower rear end?

I like that!
                            S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Had a look at the car today and think that photo exaggerates how low it is at the rear as it looks pretty much level. The car also seems to roll a bit less in the corners which is good but is a bit crashy over potholes and rough surfaces.

Anyway will be staying as it is for now as ive already spent too much this month.....

Comment

I'd go with raising the rear a bit with thicker spring pads - remember that you sit more rearwards in these so just a driver or with passenger and the rear sits lower, that plus acceleartion and the tendency for the rear suspension design to squat means you can end up with nose-high stance most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X