Windscreen cracked!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen cracked!!

Haven't had the car out for a few weeks due to all the snow. As I was getting settled in the car to start it noticed crack in the windscreen, B****R!!!
    Got it out of the garage and you could see where it has been impacted just inside of the O/S windscreen pillar. There was no crack evident when I put it in the garage so I can only assume that due the cold weather the cracks have propagated even though it was under cover. I do remember hearing a stone hitting the windscreen last time I drove it but didn't see any point of impact.
    I'll be on to insurance company tomorrow - ManningUK - to see about a replacement. There is £60 windscreen excess providing you use the approved repairer or £100 excess if you do not.
    Anyone got experience of going through this exercise and what to watch for, as I want the proper OEM style windscreen with the green band across the top. I have hear on other forums that the windscreen replacement companies sometimes get the roadsters and coupe screens/seals mixed up.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
    2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
    1986 M635
    1985 E28 M5
    1983 E28 528i Alpina

I had a similar problem with a stone chipped screen which varied in size depending on the temperature ending up getting it replaced by my insurance company

but they wanted to supply a Pilkington badged screen not BMW but after I explained the originality of the car they said they would supply a genuine BMW version even

though they thought Pilkington made they for BM. Fitter turned up with a roadster seal so ended up using the original which was in good condition.

Roadster and coupe screens are the same just the seal is different with the coupe seal having a sort of lip on the top - I think
    Last edited by Dave P; 22-03-2018, 07:33 PM.

Comment

i had mine replaced a year ago as it was delaminating around the edges.i recall it was £200 ish but they had to use the originall seal as the ones they had did not match even though i made a point of telling them what the car was whilst booking it in,mine is slightly tinted at the top to,

Comment

I have a spare if you want it, replaced last year and in reasonable condition.
        I went through my insurers and stipulated it had to be replaced with a genuine BMW screen, if I remember correctly there was a small surcharge for having it over a non genuine screen which would have been covered FOC. When it came to fitting the chap turned up with a non genuine item but with the correct seal...after making a complaint the correct one arrived and was fitted 4 days later. I think using the 'cheese wire' approach is the best way to get the old screen out, it saves the possibility of a sharp blade cutting into the paintwork - which may lead to rust.

Comment

Guido,
          Many thanks for the offer of your spare screen, but I'll see how it goes with insurance company tomorrow. With the money I've spent over the time I've owned the car with full respray etc I'd really want a new OEM item installed.
          With the insurance company I have an agreed value which I will put forward as one reason to maintain originality by going for a OEM windscreen.
          Pete C

Previous BMWs

1986 M635
          1985 E28 M5
          1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Screen seal

Get them to order a genuine seal with the screen. I found this was the only way to get the correct one. May take a few days but least it will be right & done in one visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ady View Post
              Get them to order a genuine seal with the screen. I found this was the only way to get the correct one. May take a few days but least it will be right & done in one visit.
              Will do as the car is driveable, doesn't matter if I have to wait a week or so.
              Pete C

Previous BMWs

1986 M635
              1985 E28 M5
              1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

All went well this morning with ManningUK, they have given me the go ahead to get an OEM screen fitted by my own resources. They went along with my reasoning that with my agreed value level I should definitely go for an OEM windscreen.
                So on Monday I'll go to local BMW dealer to order new screen and seal, I just have to send invoice to ManningUK and they will refund less my £100 excess.

I'll keep you updated.
                Pete C

Previous BMWs

1986 M635
                1985 E28 M5
                1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Good luck Pete hopefully you have that in writing !

Comment

Originally posted by Rags View Post
                    Good luck Pete hopefully you have that in writing !
                    Yes I have an email to cover it. Going to BMW dealer later this morning.
                    Pete C

Previous BMWs

1986 M635
                    1985 E28 M5
                    1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Update - Took car in to get new windscreen fitted this morning only to find that wrong screen ordered. My car has the optional extra green band at the top, the screen supplied is clear standard screen. Seems when parts guy checked stock the optional screen was on back order from Germany so he elected to get the in stock standard screen. They informed me that it could take a few days or a few weeks, I said I’ll wait for the back ordered screen as the car is still driveable.
                      Pete C

Previous BMWs

1986 M635
                      1985 E28 M5
                      1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Latest update.
                        Replacement screen arriving today at Coopers Teesside from Germany and car booked in next week for fitting.
                        So allow approximately 4 weeks delivery of OEM green tinted screen if on back order.
                        Pete C

Previous BMWs

1986 M635
                        1985 E28 M5
                        1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Job all done.

Definitely the correct seal with contours to align with the roof rails. The alignment window for the VIN number was OK. The new screen has a narrower green band than the original (correct part number on new estimate). Coopers Teesside did a good job, even gave the car a wash/clean inside and out.
                          Cost in total - £831, I've got £100 excess to pay.
                          I'll put up list of parts with P/Ns and cost in next day or so.
                          Pete C

Previous BMWs

1986 M635
                          1985 E28 M5
                          1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

All sorted?
                            I’m having the same fun, auto glass are the slowest company in the world.

Comment

Yes, all done just waiting for refund from ManningUK.

It was apparent that the car had been fitted with a replacement OEM windscreen in the past with the wrong seal (roadster) having been used.
                              I've looked through all the bills and maintenance records compiled by previous owner(s) and nothing noted about it. Suspect it may have been done very early in is life when I suspect it was dealer demonstrator.

Still got to do the parts list, which I will do shortly.
                              Pete C

Previous BMWs

1986 M635
                              1985 E28 M5
                              1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Working...
                              X