Another exciting tyre thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another exciting tyre thread..

I'm just about to change the lot and wanted see what the current thoughts are on widths as a few of you run ones that are quite a bit wider.

I'm using OEM wheels and 225/45/ZR17 up front and 245/40 ZR17 at the back. Was just considering adding say 5mil all around, purely for cosmetics really. I've already decided on PS4's so don't have to think about that bit of it.
    Don't you go for a lower profile if you go wider? I don't want to make the gap in the arch any bigger.

Cheers,

D.
    Last edited by Seca Blue; 12-05-2018, 07:48 AM.
    S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Stick with stock IMO. Or the only change I would make is to change up to a 255/40 on the back. This actually better matches the front 225/45 in terms of sidewall height. Each tyre model with vary slightly in fit though, with some 245s (some Continentals) are quite small and can look stretched on the 9" rim, others fit square. Good Eagle Asy 3 are quite good widths; I have the 245/40 on mine and it's visually as wide as a 255 I had.

I run 235/40 and 245/40 but 235/40 is difficult to get hold of now.

Comment

Originally posted by Seca Blue View Post
      I'm just about to change the lot and wanted see what the current thoughts are on widths as a few of you run ones that are quite a bit wider.

I'm using OEM wheels and 225/45/ZR17 up front and 245/40 ZR17 at the back. Was just considering adding say 5mil all around, purely for cosmetics really. I've already decided on PS4's so don't have to think about that bit of it.
      Don't you go for a lower profile if you go wider? I don't want to make the gap in the arch any bigger.

Cheers,

D.

they look better wider in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
        they look better wider in my opinion

I've had 235/45/ZR17 front and 255/40 ZR17 Falken tyres on both MCs that I've owned. No issues with them on the road, clearance at the front with suspension is something to check.
        Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
        2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
        1986 M635
        1985 E28 M5
        1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Originally posted by petecossie View Post

I've had 235/45/ZR17 front and 255/40 ZR17 Falken tyres on both MCs that I've owned. No issues with them on the road, clearance at the front with suspension is something to check.
          I'm on stock springs and b6's. Really not into tinkering with set up etc, just curious about a small increase in diameter and if you can do it with no implications beyond a better look.

Comment

Checking the rolling circumference of the standard tyres and the oversize ones the increase is minimal. I declared the mod to my insurance company and they were happy enough.
            Check the clearance between tyre should and coil spring, if I remember correctly I have a around 5mm and no evidence of it touching last time I looked.
            Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
            2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
            1986 M635
            1985 E28 M5
            1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Wider tyres may increase tramlining, but I doubt you'll notice much of a difference with just a 5mm increase. Jump to the 285s I have on the back of mine and you might
              Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
              ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
              Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
                Wider tyres may increase tramlining, but I doubt you'll notice much of a difference with just a 5mm increase. Jump to the 285s I have on the back of mine and you might
                Ha - 285's - you nutter.

Comment

Originally posted by Seca Blue View Post
                  Ha - 285's - you nutter.
                  One of the recommended tyre sizes from ACS. I’m not a complete nutter. Just an amateur
                  Last edited by Fat Tony; 13-05-2018, 06:52 PM.
                  Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                  ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                  Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Keeping the fire burning - what about load ratings? Ps4’s come in 91 and 94 XL? Only worth getting the 94s If I was moving paving stones around right?

Comment

91Y is fine

Comment

Cheers - we’ll it didn’t matter in the end. PS4’s only come in the XL load rating for our size anyway(well the rears at least) - so they are going on tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                        X