Lack of topics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of topics

Hoping to get a back up of the database sorted.

Simon.

Is there anything any of us can do to help?
    /// Exdos ///
    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

It's a bit buggered.

Comment

does that mean that all we have is whats on now?

Comment

Could be the case Ben.

Time to get FAQ set up if there ever was one.

Comment

So I need to make a new FS post then? That is if the current two don't like it.

That'll mean I'll have the car for another year whilst I get around to it
            Rob

My car NOT for sale

Comment

Rob, I told you were not serious

Not that I can prove that now

Seriously Simon, as Exdos said if there is anything we can do to help...

Comment

Simon,

I can see how you could have accidentally deleted the posts of a member, a topic, a complete section in the index, but there seems to be no particular systematic loss of topics. There are still some messages which originated as far back as 2004.

:idea: If you look on the page of one of the sections, as a Moderator, there is a a part where it says "Display Topics from previous" then there is a selection giving: "All Topics; 1 Day; 2 days; 7 days; 2 weeks etc." If you were to select say, "1 year" (or the maximum allowed) do the missing topics not reappear :?:

:idea: If you change the profile of your browser options for the forum, from, say, Morpheus Blue to any of the others, do you get any different moderator options that appear which might allow you to find the missing files :?:

:idea: Can the web-hosting company not give you any assistance in resurrecting any files which might have been accidentally deleted :?:
                /// Exdos ///
                "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

''

Comment

If the DB is corrupted then you should be able to get back a copy from the hosting company, but the problem will then be merging that with the latest updates.

However, the phpBB forum is the place to look for help - they'll sort you out - so long as you can get an old version of the DB :)
                    Rob

My car NOT for sale

Comment

any reputable hosting company should have redundancy and this should mean that the data is held in more than one place!
                      Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
                      New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Speaking to the hosting company and they cant help as everything is 'mirrored' whatever that means. Mike is on the case with them anyhow.

We have our own backup from when the new style board went live which is only a whole year out of date ........ if anyone knows how to merge that with the current db then that would help loads.

Sorry about this guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Broccers
                          Speaking to the hosting company and they cant help as everything is 'mirrored' whatever that means. Mike is on the case with them anyhow.

We have our own backup from when the new style board went live which is only a whole year out of date ........ if anyone knows how to merge that with the current db then that would help loads.

Sorry about this guys.
                          Hi Simon

the fact that it is mirrored should mean that they have an up to date copy.

Give me a call if you want any help or want to move away from this company.

we have our equipment hosted in tele house, docklands and also in Heathrow and there is not a chance this sort of thing could happen barring an 25 megaton nuclear device dropping on both locations at the same time!

(I doubt I would be here to argue the case if that happened!)
                          Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
                          New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

They're just saying that the disks are mirrorred - so if one drive fails in the server, another has an exact copy. If the DB corrupted then the mirroring would copy the corrupted version over to the other disk.

However, any company of good reputation should have an overnight backup policy either to another online storage device or a backup tape held offsite. This should have one or more versions of a working copy of the DB - depending on how quickly it was noticed.

My guess is that they don't backup at all so we are where we are - I wonder how many other independently hosted forums are in the same boat!
                            Rob

My car NOT for sale

Comment

Let me know if I can do anything as well, if you need data merges over MYSQL or the like I may be able to help/or source a man that can ... I head up a technical team for a large company. So let me know.
                              Cheers
                              kiddle
                              Need help setting up a CMMS/EAMS system?
                              S54: P*** Yellow ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X