Air Con plumbing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Con plumbing...

Went to KwikFit last time I was on the mainland and tried to get the zircon regassed - turns out there is a small leak at the front lower, behind the front bumper...

Can anyone give me any ideas on what part of the system is in the area and potential replacement costs?

Cheers!
    BMW /// M3 Coupe 08, Silverstone II
    ex BMW /// M Coupe 00, Estoril, exdos exhausts , KWV3..

'zircon' Cool

Must look at getting mine down to Kwik Fit for a regass - it currently appears to do buggar all
    Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
    ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
    Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

It's probably the condensor radiator. I've had mine replaced a couple of times (typically a stone through the front grille).

Go for a BMW one, rather than a euro car parts one, as i got stung with a faulty part.

My mechanic charged me about 400 all inc to replace the rad with a BMW one and regas last time.

cheers
      andrew

2005, E46 M3 Carbon Black
      2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

Is the condenser not right in the middle? This leak was definitely coming from the front passenger side...

Only concern is getting a new condenser etc only to discover that it isn't that which is leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewturner View Post
          It's probably the condensor radiator. I've had mine replaced a couple of times (typically a stone through the front grille).

Go for a BMW one, rather than a euro car parts one, as i got stung with a faulty part.

My mechanic charged me about 400 all inc to replace the rad with a BMW one and regas last time.

cheers
          andrew
          What??? £400 are you having a laugh. The radiator is the same as the E46. Think I paid 85 quid for rad and 50 for re gassing with die in. Works mint.

The rads don't last long even if they are original or not. Like you say a stone or just salt gets in and sits there.

You can fit it yourself easily in less than an hour. Doddle

David
          BMW 335d 2008 soon to be chipped cause I got spanked by the same car on the motorway. 2000w reg zm3 Estoril.

Comment

Originally posted by oo 1005 View Post
            Is the condenser not right in the middle? This leak was definitely coming from the front passenger side...

Only concern is getting a new condenser etc only to discover that it isn't that which is leaking.
            You have it checked to see where it's leaking with Nitrogen gas like I did and mine was coming from front passenger side. It's stuff getting flicked up from out of the kerbside.
            BMW 335d 2008 soon to be chipped cause I got spanked by the same car on the motorway. 2000w reg zm3 Estoril.

Comment

Not seen any condensers at £85!? Most around £130+ AFAIK it's the same as the E36 M3? (shows same part no. on realoem, but I know it's not clear with condensors as ECP weren't sure and the diagram on realoem is nothing like the Z3M condensor).

Fitting isn't too bad, I always though it dropped down from underneath, but the latest one I got I had to fit from the top due to side brackets that sit on the same mounting points as the coolant radiator (remove the engine fan and shroud, unclip the radiator and push it towards the engine).

There's nothing on the front passenger side to do with the aircon, but there is the dryer(?) behind the bumper on the driver's side.
              Last edited by c_w; 06-10-2011, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Hmm - sounds like it must be the condenser then if there's nothing down on the pass side..
                Its going in for Insp II next week and they do full AC repair/diags so going to ask them to look..

Cheers all!

Comment

[QUOTE=oo 1005;109637]Hmm - sounds like it must be the condenser then if there's nothing down on the pass side..
                  Its going in for Insp II next week and they do full AC repair/diags so going to ask them to look..

Cheers
                  Yeah mine definitely went in from underneath. The e46 one has extra brackets on at each side. But if your careful you can drill the rivets out and get em off. We managed to get it in without doing that.

Regards David.

I had a look at my bill last night. 78+vat.

I have just called him and he is getting me the price on one now. I'll post it up. He did have that one on the shelf a while. Might have done me a cheap deal. First one was wrong. Was for a standard z3. Not an M.

Regards David.

Comment

I've changed mine twice now. It is very strange as I'm positive my original one came out from underneath once the two bolts on the slam panel were undone (and the others attached to the radiator fan bracket), and that with my first new one I must have cut the brackets off as that's how it looked when I took it off (but couldn't remember). However the brackets do fit the car as they sit in rubber seats next to where the coolant radiator feet sit, so with my second new one I fitted it from above with the radiator pushed forwards; much easier!

Comment

The rads are still available for £78 plus vat. I've just had confirmation.

So don't be paying daft money. Mine is spot on and quality is just as per original.

Up to you if you want to line bmw's pockets.

Regards David.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravydavy View Post
                        The rads are still available for £78 plus vat. I've just had confirmation.

So don't be paying daft money. Mine is spot on and quality is just as per original.

Up to you if you want to line bmw's pockets.

Regards David.
                        Where's this from?

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                          Where's this from?
                          They are available from Autorads in Sheffield. Right next to where I work.

Regards David.

Comment

Well, official verdict is indeed condenser is boogered...

David, are they straight fit for the Coupe or do they need adjustment? Will they post out?

Cheers

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by oo 1005 View Post
                              Well, official verdict is indeed condenser is boogered...

David, are they straight fit for the Coupe or do they need adjustment? Will they post out?

Cheers

Phil
                              Mine went in from underneath with a bit of giggery pokery. Lol

I will ask if they post tomorrow for ya. I would imagine so. If not I'll post it ya.
                              Regards David.

Comment

Working...
                              X