X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icing on the inside of windscreen

Hi all
    Another noddy question from me.
    Having just had the first frost of the winter, I scraped the ice off the windscreen only to find it had iced up on the inside too.
    Is the a common occurrence? Any idea what might be causing it as no other car I've ever had has had this before.

Any help gratefully received.

obviously you have a lot of moisture in your car...check the carpets,make sure your screen is clean inside...if you can run a dehumidifier in your car too, for an afternoon,keep your windows closed when its raining!!run your aircon occasionally,...

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
      keep your windows closed when its raining!!thumbsup:
      Brilliant.
      S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

As Kwoffa says and check for any leaks (new screen fitted?)

Comment

Thanks guys
          No obvious signs of leaks but I did have to have a new screen recently
          I'll give the dehumidifier a go too.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZ View Post
            Thanks guys
            No obvious signs of leaks but I did have to have a new screen recently
            I'll give the dehumidifier a go too.

Cheers
            Suspect ! there is a difference between Roadster surrounds and Coupe!

Comment

Update on the leaky Z
              I have now found the patch of carpet that is definitely damp. It's driver's footwell between the door and the accelerator. Right up against the side. As it's usually parked slightly downhill it could be a door seal issue. Will do some testing this weekend with a jet spray to see if I can find where it's coming in.
              Anyone had anything similar?

Comment

Is that the same area that might be affected when the screenwash tube passes through the bulkhead starts to leak?

Sorry, just re-read your post and realised you said between accelerator and door, so probably further right than I had in mind
                Last edited by Fat Tony; 14-04-2014, 08:24 PM.
                Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Sort of linked to this. Does anyone know where the washer tube to the rear screen routes. Just that washer fluid was leaking from the bottle and I find that it is leaking out the front sill where it meets the front wing. I assume it is split and siphoning it out. It's Ok until I see it vanishing down the back of the engine bay. Where does it go from there. My next thought was take off the lower front wing. Do I need to do this?

Comment

This connection is known to detach so well worth checking,

Comment

Mate,i have mentioned this so many times before!!! buy a long length of washer hose...strip out the old one and run from the washer pump to the inside of the car(see old thread) this does away with the various bit of connectors that are in that run...join inside the car with a straight connector,the hose goes into the cabin near to the brake servo!

Comment

The next update that you have all been eagerly awaiting.....

So, with careful experimentation and skilful hosework, I have found how the water is getting in.
                        It's seeping out of the underside of the drivers door trim right at the front. I don't know how it's getting in there but a fair old bit is coming out.

Given that I have the mechanical competence of a primate, I'm not even going to try to get the trim off as ill break it but at least I have a step forward.

Question: if I just sealed this would the water drain out the door or just build up and rot it slowly? Any advice. Any idea where it might be coming in?

Anyway, to make me feel better, I have bought one of Bilal's gear knob and handbrake kits. If I ever solve the leak I have promised myself AC Schnitzer pedals

Keep you posted on (slow) progress

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZ View Post
                          The next update that you have all been eagerly awaiting.....

So, with careful experimentation and skilful hosework, I have found how the water is getting in.
                          It's seeping out of the underside of the drivers door trim right at the front. I don't know how it's getting in there but a fair old bit is coming out.

Given that I have the mechanical competence of a primate, I'm not even going to try to get the trim off as ill break it but at least I have a step forward.

Question: if I just sealed this would the water drain out the door or just build up and rot it slowly? Any advice. Any idea where it might be coming in?

Anyway, to make me feel better, I have bought one of Bilal's gear knob and handbrake kits. If I ever solve the leak I have promised myself AC Schnitzer pedals

Keep you posted on (slow) progress

Could be coming in from a few places but I would check the seating/condition of the door seals especially the lower front of part #10

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...CE/41/41_1629/

Comment

Very helpful, Dave. Thanks
                            It's p***ing with rain now so no chance of identifying the source!
                            I'll get onto it tomorrow/ next weekend. I now have kitchen towels strategically placed to absorb incoming water- and parked it uphill, which might help keep it a bit drier

Comment

Another dumb question to help me in my leak quest.
                              What are the two black circular caps on the underside of the doors ? I am working on the theory that the door is filling with water, hence the leak coming in from the underside of the trim. I am rubbish mechanically so don't want to pull these things off to investigate without understanding the consequences!
                              All help gratefully received, as ever

Comment

Working...
                              X