Drivers seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers seat

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out as I've searched through previous posts and can't find anything... Basically my drivers seat is rocking, now before anyone suggests seat bushes, I can confirm I have changed them twice.

I have had the seat out again today, the movement seems to be coming from under the seat, where the circular bars that run across from left to right meet the bottom rails that contain the new bushes. These circular bars cannot be tightened as they are held in position by circlips.

I have tried a large socket over the circlip and a tap with a hammer but it doesn't do much.

Any ideas anybody?

It's hard to say from the description, but if it's a joint that is supposed to be fixed and doesn't move (ie not part of the electrical mechanism), then it might be a case of retensioning it like you tried?

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
      It's hard to say from the description, but if it's a joint that is supposed to be fixed and doesn't move (ie not part of the electrical mechanism), then it might be a case of retensioning it like you tried?
      I've left it in the hands of my auto electrician, failing that I'll it take to my mechanic.... Rocking car seats are a PITA.

My mission in life at the moment is to get the drivers seat rock solid !

The replacement bushes worked a treat on the passenger side by the way.

Comment

Right had the seat out again today, turns out the seat frame has become loose and the replacement parts from BMW consist of an entire new seat frame!

My mechanic will now attempt to refresh the worn circlips etc... To make matters worse I missed out on a pair of blue black leather seats from the owner of a local scrap yards car which he sold yesterday for £195 on eBay!!!!

Comment

A new seat base is £795 from BMW

Comment

Also worth looking out for used seats on eBay as the bases can be swapped. Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3608184309...906%26_rdc%3D1
            Take a look at my roadster journal to see how to swap the bases over http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewt...urnal&start=58

If you can find a set of cloth seats then even better as they tend to go for peanuts
            Last edited by Ian_C; 19-03-2014, 09:28 PM.
            1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Cheers dave! Hopefully I can get it tightened for a bit less.

Can't believe I missed z3m seats for £195 yesterday. I would have bought them for garden chairs at that price

Comment

Originally posted by Ian_C View Post
                Also worth looking out for used seats on eBay as the bases can be swapped. Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3608184309...906%26_rdc%3D1
                Take a look at my roadster journal to see how to swap the bases over http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewt...urnal&start=58

If you can find a set of cloth seats then even better as they tend to go for peanuts
                Cheers Ian... So any e36 seat base is good? I thought it would need to be an electric seat base? Or are the manual seats basically the same without the electrics

Comment

He means any Z3 base (e36 unlikely to fit as the Z3 cabin is pretty narrow and the seats are heavily offset) - that listing is just referring to Z3 as E36. All Z3s are electric, even the cloth ones (I looked in to getting some 1.9 cloth ones thinking they'd be manual, and therefore lighter and potentially lower but turns out every one has electric sliding).

Comment

He means any Z3 base (e36 unlikely to fit as the Z3 cabin is pretty narrow and the seats are heavily offset) - that listing is just referring to Z3 as E36. All Z3s are electric, even the cloth ones (I looked in to getting some 1.9 cloth ones thinking they'd be manual, and therefore lighter and potentially lower but turns out every one has electric sliding).
                    Managed to get 3 out of 4 circlips tightened using a hammer and 22mm stainless
                    Steel pipe. Couldn't get at the circlip behind the seatbelt anchor post as it would require the seat base to be dismantled which isn't possible.

It's far better than it was so it'll do for the time being. I'll keep my eyes open for a z3 seat base

Comment

Yep, that's what I meant. All have electric back & fwd movement, some have height adjust too (///m and sports seats only I think)
                      1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

I have never looked at the seat frames but how difficult would it be to fashion a new frame to lower and lighten (have I asked this before?! )?
                        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Not so sure its the frames that are heavy..but with all the other stuff under there they are heavy!

Comment

I should have been clearer! To dump the heavy electric motor etc, really isn't needed in a car like ours anyway!
                            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Agreed. The seats must weigh in at 50kg for the pair!

Comment

Working...
                              X