X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan Coupe - bushings replaced

Saw this Japanese Coupe getting some TLC

http://www.autofine.com/archives/147

Surprising how bad some of the rubber parts are considering the low mileage of this coupe?

Comment

I need to do mine I reckon as have some slack in the drive train

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Splits in that propshaft bush are common, probably on all used cars to some degree. Some can be just superficial surface splits like on that car, others much deeper. Owner of the car must be Dave P's Japanese counterpart

Mine has some deep splits, changed it at around 125k after many trackdays. New one fitted and noticed no difference in the drive/slack!
        Last edited by c_w; 05-09-2015, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
          Splits in that propshaft bush are common, probably on all used cars to some degree. Some can be just superficial surface splits like on that car, others much deeper. Owner of the car must be Dave P's Japanese counterpart

Mine has some deep splits, changed it at around 125k after many trackdays. New one fitted and noticed no difference in the drive/slack!
          While I have my car in bits is it a DIY job to replace the doughnut ?

Comment

It's not to difficult, but it's quite involved. You have to remove the exhausts which for me took the longest, as I only had the car on axle stands so had hardly any height. Then need to remove the gearbox support as if I recall access was tight with it fitted, so need to support the gearbox.

Heatshields cover the propershaft so they'll need dropping.

Propshaft needs removing too as it's telescopic range didn't allow it to release the donut/guibo. Just needs unbolting at both ends and the centre support bearing. You may as well replace the centre support bearing. I didn't and should have for the sake of the effort to get to it and cost of the part.

It would probably be a nice job on a ramp though, as most underbody jobs are.

IMO yours won't need doing, I replaced mine as I expected it to be splitting in half based on loads of US forums whose were doing just that. But after many trackdays it was still working ok, albiet with some splits but not anywhere nears as a bad as those I'd seen. I think hard launches, quarter mileing may be the killer. You know your car from almost new and it's not had too hard a life so, ageing apart, I would expect it to be good for a while yet.
            Last edited by c_w; 05-09-2015, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
              It's not to difficult, but it's quite involved. You have to remove the exhausts which for me took the longest, as I only had the car on axle stands so had hardly any height. Then need to remove the gearbox support as if I recall access was tight with it fitted, so need to support the gearbox.

Heatshields cover the propershaft so they'll need dropping.

Propshaft needs removing too as it's telescopic range didn't allow it to release the donut/guibo. Just needs unbolting at both ends and the centre support bearing. You may as well replace the centre support bearing. I didn't and should have for the sake of the effort to get to it and cost of the part.

It would probably be a nice job on a ramp though, as most underbody jobs are.

IMO yours won't need doing, I replaced mine as I expected it to be splitting in half based on loads of US forums whose were doing just that. But after many trackdays it was still working ok, albiet with some splits but not anywhere nears as a bad as those I'd seen. I think hard launches, quarter mileing may be the killer. You know your car from almost new and it's not had too hard a life so, ageing apart, I would expect it to be good for a while yet.

Ok thanks - I will inspect it for any splits before going any further

Comment

A lot of money in new parts alone £500 in this picture for OEM parts

Comment

Guibo

Might anyone have any ideas why the shift rod when in 2nd gear rubs the guibo causing the shift lever to vibrate, This is after installing a new guibo and shifter bushings.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by EHGVETTE View Post
                    Might anyone have any ideas why the shift rod when in 2nd gear rubs the guibo causing the shift lever to vibrate, This is after installing a new guibo and shifter bushings.

Thanks,
                    Welcome to the forum , never read about this problem before has anyone got any idea's?

Comment

Working...
                    X