Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alloy wheel upgrade - good options anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    245 tyres on a 10" rim sounds awfully stretched to me!!!
    I know but sometimes they don't look too bad - I know on here we're usually trying to put the widest tyre possible on a rim though

Interestingly, all the tyre websites that display the "permitted rim widths" data show a 235/40/17 as ok for 8"-9.5" rim but a 245/40/17 the same 8"-9.5". However the 235/40/17 fits the factory 7.5" rim without looking too wide for the rim or bulging.

Conversely I figure that if a 235 is ok for up to 9.5" rim then a 245 tyre should just be ok for 10" rim given that 1/2" is around 12mm and the tyre is 10mm wider, so only 2mm "over". It must be that as the 245 just misses out on criteria by this 2mm it is still classed as 9.5" max. perhaps.
    Last edited by c_w; 10-11-2008, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by miketheman2k View Post
      Did the 20mm spacers on the front mean the tyres rubbed? Especially as you run 235's don't you? 7.5J is particularly skinny given the weight up front, I always thought it was 8J.
      I never actually drove it with 20mm spacers (I temporarily doubled up two 10mm eibach spacers which don't actually fit together properly but was just to drop it back on the ground to see what it looked like).

Comment

Just had a search on this site, and most posts suggest the rear wheel is 9J not 10. That would make more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by miketheman2k View Post
          Just had a search on this site, and most posts suggest the rear wheel is 9J not 10. That would make more sense.
          Yep, factory rear is 9J - I'm just wondering if a 245/40 tyre would fit a 10J rim though.

Comment

You could stretch a 195 section tyre over a 10 inch rim but it would look a bit odd. A 245 would start to look pretty low profile over a 10J I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by Shunt View Post
              These might fit the bill for you:

That's exactly what I'm after. how'd you recommend me going about getting some fitted? I almost want to show your picture to a wheel dude and say"fit me some of these"... what's your spec there? Spacers? Wheels sizing and from where? etc...

Lovely though. brilliant.

Comment

They are 19" BBS CH's, same as I have on mine (see gallery)

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/photopost/sh...00&ppuser=1474

Hard to come by now that BBS are no longer making wheels, but look on ebay etc. I run 5mm spacers on the front, but only because of my KW's. Rears have no spacers, but I will shortly get some 5 or 10mm spacers just to push the wheels out slightly more.

Current - BMW M6
                Previous - Estoril S50 '98

KW V3's, ACS Splitters, H&R ARB's, Rogue Engineering rear top mounts,
                Carbon Induction kit, Supersprint Exhaust, BBS 19" CH alloys, Strong Strut

Comment

Hard to come by now that BBS are no longer making wheels, but look on ebay etc.
                  Are you sure Chris? You may be right but their website is still showing up okay

http://www.bbs.com/en/showroom/showroom.html
                  Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

Top photo's Chris... lovely. Looks like you have some front bumper mod of some kind? What've you done there? .... and how much ... and where can I get it done! :)

Wheels look awesome but they cost quite a bit more than my budget... I might just look into some spacers for now and save up some leisure budget... I'm sure I've seen some copy CSL's for around £800 with tyres... they could be a bit crap though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcoupe heaven View Post
                      Top photo's Chris... lovely. Looks like you have some front bumper mod of some kind? What've you done there? .... and how much ... and where can I get it done! :)

Wheels look awesome but they cost quite a bit more than my budget... I might just look into some spacers for now and save up some leisure budget... I'm sure I've seen some copy CSL's for around £800 with tyres... they could be a bit crap though.
                      Thanks. Yeah the front bumper is heavily modifed, below are the steps to recreate...

Step 1 - Remove front number plate and surround
                      Step 2 - Done.

ps. Personally I wouldn't go for budget wheels on the MC, get some spacers on and keep looking on ebay or forums for some decent wheels to pop up.

Current - BMW M6

Comment

Originally posted by coupe fan View Post
                        Are you sure Chris? You may be right but their website is still showing up okay

http://www.bbs.com/en/showroom/showroom.html
                        I beleive they were bought out by a belgian company, but i wasn't sure if they were still making new wheels, if they are then great, but I imagine they are pricy.

Current - BMW M6

Comment

CSL wheels are only £1500 on ebay

Comment

Thanks. Yeah the front bumper is heavily modifed, below are the steps to recreate...

Step 1 - Remove front number plate and surround
                            Step 2 - Done.

ps. Personally I wouldn't go for budget wheels on the MC, get some spacers on and keep looking on ebay or forums for some decent wheels to pop up.
                            hahah! brilliant. it looks miles better without the number plate surround do you use a transfer version then for road use?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcoupe heaven View Post
                              hahah! brilliant. it looks miles better without the number plate surround do you use a transfer version then for road use?

I was running the car for about 6 months without a plate on the front at all with no problems, but then the government obviously were short of a bit of cash and pulled me over twice in a matter of weeks, so the plate went back on.

A vinyl/transfer idea would work i think, but not seen it on the car to say whether it would look good.

Current - BMW M6

Comment

not had a plate on mine for ages, never had a problem, also ave speed camera's can never get you! haha!

Comment

Working...
                                X