• Show
Clear All

Cool, love the wheels by the way.
    Aceman

Arctic Silver Z3MR

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
    ///M Badge Refurb available HERE

Comment

Probably the worst journal on here picture wise, sorry........

Quick update
      Vanos fully re-built with Beisan kit and updated solenoid o-rings (m5), gaskets and Vanos filter from BMW.

[IMG]Engine by Mike Lloyd, on Flickr[/IMG]

Started and all appears ok. Have only driven around my works car park.....

The car has done 72 k and this is the first time the Vanos has been fully apart.

Comments.

Small o-ring on both exhaust solenoids were brittle ( You can see they have deformed below)

Solder connectors on solenoids had been previously repaired (by me), but I did a better job with them out.

Intake piston had little resistance (I have no reference to know if this is normal or not).
      The Beisan procedure is excellent, I have very little spare time so had to do it over a few weeks, I'm sure it could be done in a day.

I will update once I have driven it properly to see if there is any noticeable change.

If you haven't checked your solenoids I think this is very worthwhile and very low cost. The full rebuild is certainly more involved but quite satisfying :-)
      Last edited by M1ke; 05-01-2016, 12:57 PM.

Comment

It lives again!!

Finally all back together after checking valves ( bit of a faff but got much easier) rocker cover and air intake painted with VHT. New o-rings on throttle body inlet trumpets.

A good spirited drive over cat and fiddle today it's seems to be revving much freer and pulling stronger (am sure the Vanos seals have improved it). Also rock solid idle

Exhaust is blowing badly though so you may have heard me from afar.

Next
        Exhaust
        Clutch release bearing (rattle)
        Milky seals on front and rear screens.

Comment

Good work Mike!

Are you thinking of just fixing the blow or a whole new exhaust?

And the milky screens?
          2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

It's going on the ramps on Friday. Hopefully it's just a gasket! Full exhaust going to have to be another time $$ :-(

The front screen I think just needs a new seal. Rear screen I'm going to try and get reconditioned. I don't fancy removing these myself though!

Comment

Originally posted by M1ke View Post
              It lives again!!

Finally all back together after checking valves ( bit of a faff but got much easier) rocker cover and air intake painted with VHT. New o-rings on throttle body inlet trumpets.

A good spirited drive over cat and fiddle today it's seems to be revving much freer and pulling stronger (am sure the Vanos seals have improved it). Also rock solid idle

Exhaust is blowing badly though so you may have heard me from afar.

Next
              Exhaust
              Clutch release bearing (rattle)
              Milky seals on front and rear screens.

Nice one , new glass is not that expensive from BMW dealers so may be worth checking

Comment

Wow, it has been a long time since I updated this!!

A few things done...

Exhaust was blowing from the downpipe join to the mid section- This was welded up several months ago, it has survived a couple of track days so assume has been successful

Back boxes have been replaced with Supersprint ones, look great, much lighter! and sound a bit fruitier. There is quite a drone on cold start-up but this soon goes. Exhaust mounts replaced at the same time as they were tired to say the least!

I have been having to top the water up periodically - turned out to be the water pump at fault - car was running fine without any strange noises but there was play in the water pump pulley -

New Meyle pump ordered

After a bit of head scratching the old pump was removed. The timing wheel has a large notch providing access to the bottom bolt on the water pump - (You cant see it so have to work on feel).

To improve access I also removed the following
                Viscous Fan ( permanently removed a couple of years ago)
                Belt tensioner mechanism
                Idler pulley
                Cylinder 1 + 2 intake pipes
                Thermostat housing

Not too bad a job, hopefully the pictures will help someone in future.

The front of the engine is really Mucky from leaking fluids, It's on the list to clean up during winter.
                Last edited by M1ke; 22-10-2016, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Did you gfive the engine a good flush? The coolant looks really rusty that's sitting in the block opening, with a 50:50 mix that shouldn't happen.

Comment

The removed coolant was actually a very 'clean blue', but yep, in that photo it looks pretty ropeyy, I think it is because it had been left exposed for a couple of weeks. If the new coolant discolours i'll flush / change it.

Comment

What happened to the Ronals??
                      2000 BMW Z3M COUPE.
                      2006 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo.
                      07 Volvo V70 D5
                      1972 Suzuki Gt750J.
                      1972 Suzuki Gt550J.

Some of my old cars.........http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/gman69/library/CARS

Comment

Wow, nearly another two years on since updating!!

My clutch started slipping at the end of last year, I replaced with standard dual mass flywheel / clutch ( did have light weight flywheel). The noise/ rattle at idle has all but gone. Gearbox oil and mounts changed at the same time (look very tired!). The gear stick no longer gets stuck in 5th

The Bellhousing was very heavily contaminated, this actually turned out to be from the constant pressure valve leaking, so let this be a warning if you havnt replaced this seal......

Was surprised to find the lightweight flywheel fitted and had a collection of parts to try and find the right replacement friction material and clutch plate, ended up with stock + new dual mass flywheel in the end.

Also just replaced Front Pads and rear discs and pads ( last pads only lasted 4K ).

Had a run out at Cadwell

Sills are looking flakey around the arches, new sills have landed and its booked in to have them painted + front and rear bumpers (also looking a bit tired!) in September.

The heat took its toll last week and unfortunately the radiator pooped itself at Donnington :-( It broke the bracket for the oil cooler too, but fortunately no further damage. The oil cooler looks quite dirty, not sure if it is worth replacing or just cleaning?

Radiator deformed in quite a strange fashion!
                        Last edited by M1ke; 07-08-2018, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X