Ian_C Estoril S50 Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mnbrennan View Post
    Ian, I've never quite worked out where the adjusters are for the kws. I know stiffness on the front is at the top, but where is the rest?

Car looks great by the way
    KWv3s have adjustment at the top of the strut (rebound) and at the bottom (bump) both front and rear

Originally posted by Jon_Bmw View Post
    Ian,

Can I ask why you didn't use the KW height adjusters?

I have them on mine, but to get the ride height acceptable the springs look virtually coil bound. Consequently the rear is quite hard over speed bumps etc.

Did you just use the KW springs and a BMW pad? If so can you let me know part number of your springs and the BMW pad as I might consider doing the same.

Having written that and thinking about it, to get the height I want (similar to yours) I am not sure whether loosing the adjusters actually gains you anything. I need to get my head under the car and remind myself how it all works.

I don't suppose you can photograph your rear springs when the vehicle weight is on them?
    Yep, I've just used the KW spring and a thicker spring pad. Equates to probably half the height of the KW base plate and adjuster combined. I did try it with the original spring pad only but that was just too low. I'll try and get some pics from under the car at the weekend. I did take picture of spring pads for comparison though:

Side on profile

Last edited by Ian_C; 08-04-2018, 09:26 PM. Reason: Corrected broken image links
    1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Ian,

Thanks. That is sat absolutely perfect in my opinion. It looks great. The small amount of rake is excellent.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_Bmw View Post
        I don't suppose you can photograph your rear springs when the vehicle weight is on them?
        Car sits like this on thicker pads:

Last edited by Ian_C; 08-04-2018, 09:24 PM. Reason: Corrected broken image link
        1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Thanks for the photo.

I remember my two "middle" coils being like yours (almost coilbound), but I need to check the others.

Comment

Bringing the journal right up to date - photo links refreshed post PhotobucketGate - now using Flickr.

Coupe just needed a new pair of front tyres at MOT in December. Had an Earls braided clutch hose fitted at the same time:

Coupe looking like this now

1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Ian_C View Post
              Bringing the journal right up to date - photo links refreshed post PhotobucketGate - now using Flickr.

Coupe just needed a new pair of front tyres at MOT in December. Had an Earls braided clutch hose fitted at the same time:

Coupe looking like this now

Looking great!

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Sits really well

Comment

Earls Braided Clutch Hose

Hi, Considering fitting the above as you have done recently. Can you provide the Earls Part Number please.
                  Thanks vic49er
                  vic49er

Comment

Originally posted by vic49er View Post
                    Hi, Considering fitting the above as you have done recently. Can you provide the Earls Part Number please.
                    Thanks vic49er
                    Unfortunately I don’t have it. Bought the hose from 4xhausts on here. Looking through other posts it seems that Earls are helpful if you give them a call.
                    1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Car looked well at the show on sunday Ian. Nice to see a Coupe in the sea of Scoobies!
                      Previous: Silver s50 Mc
                      Previous: Yellow s50 Mc
                      -------------------------------------------
                      Current: Estoril S50 Mc

Comment

Originally posted by Adz S View Post
                        Car looked well at the show on sunday Ian. Nice to see a Coupe in the sea of Scoobies!
                        Ah, you spotted me

1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

KW rear springs had settled quite a bit since fitting last year and car looked and felt a little too low. Installed the KW adjusters and reverted to original (thinner) spring pads. Height was now spot on however I was hearing an occasional clunk whenever the suspension unloaded (reversing and turning off my drive, going over the odd speed hump etc). Took a look and with the car jacked up and rear shock fully extended I was able to move the spring on the KW adjuster by hand - likely the source of my new clunk. Whilst I investigate that with KW I sourced some 14.5mm spring pads from BMW (e46 'Poor road package' spring pads - PN33531094754). Fitted these and v.happy with ride height and ride. No clunks so far

From L-R: original (5mm), thicker (10mm), e46 'poor road package' (14.5mm)

Stance

1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Over the winter I had the roof painted and doorshuts tidied up where the plastic sill trims had rubbed and caused corrosion (some pics of this earlier in my journal). Door shuts now looking very fresh

1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Very nice Ian

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

As I mentioned at the ESP Cumbria show, this year I wanted to get started on a refurb of the rear subframe and generally tidy up the underneath of the coupe. Made a start and have got everything removed. Bit of a challenge with one of the brake disc securing screws and had to cut the handbrake cables but otherwise reasonably straightforward.

Underneath has some surface rust but I was pleased to see that the diff mount and boot floor all look sound. I'll clean up the surface rust, treat & protect and will replace the fuel tank straps.

Had a bit of trouble removing one of the half-shaft bolts and had to cut the head off with a grinder. Eventually managed to pry the half-shaft over it and then remove the remains of the bolt.

Diff bush had delaminated but was otherwise pretty good for 20 years - I'll replace with oem. Beam bushes had small splits so I'll replace those with Powerflex polybush items. Trailing arm bushes were fine so I'll leave those in. Diff has quite a bit of surface corrosion so I'll clean that up and paint. Same for the trailing arms and rear beam.

As I'll be fitting a thicker H&R anti-roll bar I've taken the opportunity to strengthen the mounting tabs whilst the trailing arms are off the car.

Busy month or 2 ahead whilst I get busy with the grinder and paint...
                                1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Working...
                                X