No announcement yet.

inkey$ Imola S50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news then! Always nice to get a good garage, personally I'm yet to find one. One of the things I'm doing is the throttle cable so good to know it's an awesome 'mod'. Haha.

Comment

This story gives me a little more hope, if anyone is thinking of selling contact me ASAP, it will be very much appreciated, 07970281080, cash ready
      S54 titanium silver all black interior, 2001 51 plate
      good things come to those who wait!

Comment

Originally posted by itsdashy View Post
        Good news then! Always nice to get a good garage, personally I'm yet to find one. One of the things I'm doing is the throttle cable so good to know it's an awesome 'mod'. Haha.
        Seriously, I kid you not. It's like I was blind and now I can see! The difference in swapping over cables is one I'd highly recommend.
        S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pauljparkinson View Post
          This story gives me a little more hope, if anyone is thinking of selling contact me ASAP, it will be very much appreciated, 07970281080, cash ready
          Good luck in your search
          S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

Car performed lovely on the way to Duxford last Sunday. Only have a couple of issues now.

The first is when I first start the car from cold and from the rear of the car there is a sound that is like a sort of low, rubbing/soft grind type noise. Happens when moving or still and first thoughts are that its just the back boxes firing up for the first time. As I say, it disappears after a few seconds.

The second issue happened when I hot a traffic queue outside the Blackwall Tunnel. Three lanes of stop start traffic on a hot day after an hours run. Lots of cluthc control and low speed movement. Rev idle slightly erratic at times and clutch release started to bunnyhop. Havent been put in it since I got home so will see how it is or actually check, but could this be the notorious airbox t-pipe?

So happy to have the ARBs, throttle cable and Insp2 sorted I think Im paranoid!!
            S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

The vacumn T piece symptoms for me was a high idle (once started the engine and it idled straight away at 2.5k, other times was fine) and revs steadily rising when stopped at traffic lights etc, would tend to go from 800 to about 1500-2000. Also didn't seem to be dependant on engine being up to temperature.

Always worth a look though if you have time, just a bit of a fiddly job but not that technical and can give the idle control valve a clean while your at it. For the sake of a few hours work and whatever pennies it costs for a new cap I would hate to pay labour for it.

Comment

Thats what I figured too. I read Keith's write up and seemed fairly straightforward so I think I'll take a look. Can't think what else it could be. I may have imagined it but when I blipped the throttle it seemed to activate the fluctuating idle revs until I held the throttle steady and higher which seemed to reset it back again.
                S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

Looking back I've noticed that I wrote that the car was almost stalling itself at times as well so a few different symptoms.

To be honest the most time consuming part of the job for me was getting access to undo some of the jubilee clips, they're now all back on in the easiest to reach position thankfully.

Comment

Crawling through traffic my one atleast keeps about 1.2k as an idle. However as soon as I'm at a dead stop it goes down to 750—800rpm. Not sure it's normal but it's atleast consistent.

Comment

Maybe it's just an acceptable part of the overall personality and charm!
                      S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

Well I took her out for a run this weekend and no issues whatsoever. Still need to take a look at the t-bar but I suspect it's fine if things are running okay now.

I still have the odd grinding/grumbling from the rear of the car on start up. Seems to be louder sat inside the car and weirdly disappears after a minute or so. I'll try to video it and post when I get a chance.

Need to plan my next jobs on the car which are:

- Replace the outside temp sensor. I know it's the sensor itself as there's power to it. When I turn the ignition the needle shoots up and back down again.

- Refurbish passenger door mirror base (following Keith's how-to)

- Strip, treat and waxoil both sills, then add new front jacking points (currently missing)

- Passenger door airbag 'patch' missing.

- Fix late running clock or replace with VDO voltmeter.

- KDS Keltec paint correction package.

- Clean refurbish engine bay.

- 10mm spacers

- Possibly look at installing a ProSpeed cat back system.

Mainly though, I plan to throughly enjoy this car and use it as much as I can during the approaching summer! Still can't get my head around the fact i have one in the garage :)

S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

Thought I'd also post a scan of something that came in a big binder with my car. When new my S50 was a press car and this binder contained a few articles featuring my car including this one at launch on the street sod Monaco.

Also includes a page from CAR magazine (1998) with review from motoring writer Paul Horrell.

A link to the PDF can be found here…(apologies for quality)

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2014/05/13/poppy-monaco/
                          S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

Trying not to think of how BMW decoded my key today so decided I would tackle one side of the bonnet catches that are looking pretty ropey. Cable release side isn't as bad as the other, so I tackled this first with a Dremel and some lithium grease.

Not perfect but as good as I could manage in the time I had and will do properly with the other one soon.

Last edited by inkey$; 17-05-2014, 04:47 PM.
                            S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

JOURNAL UPDATE: Ever since my Inspection 2, new droplinks and H&R ARB install back in April, the car has developed a strange noise thats finally got to my OCD. Noticed it when I backed out of ETA Motorsport after the work had been done but put it down to things just bedding in.

What it is, is a sort of knocking, vibrating, grinding type sound - quite deep, from the rear of the car and occurs when cold or if the car is driven but also if parked, left and started again for longer than about 30 mins. The sound happens in both forward and reverse gears and completely disappears after about 15 seconds of driving (even slowing to a stop and starting again). First though was brake shoes in the hubs, but why would that develop immediately after the work I had done when there was no noise at all before?

I've tried recording the noise but its difficult on my own so I've contacted ETA and asked them to take a look at it. While booked in I've also asked them to check the front discs and calipers as I'm getting some vibration through the steering wheel under braking and suspect its either A) warped discs, B) pad deposits or C) me not driving hard enough!
                              S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

All sorted. ETA Motorsport got her up on the ramps and it turns out the ARBs they fitted for me a few weeks back were vibrating against the exhaust when cold. Readjusted and all good again.

Found another job though. Gonna need new discs and pads on the front in the next few months.
                                S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X