Ian_C Estoril S50 Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian_C Estoril S50 Journal

I collected my Estoril S50 (Sep 98 build) back in September 2013. It’s been a busy winter 2013 and spring 2014 so thought it was about time I started my journal on here. As a 7 year z3 2.8 roadster owner I’m pretty familiar with most aspects of the coupe although the ///m specific elements are new to me.

When I viewed the car it was obvious that it had been owned by a driving enthusiast and had been cherished mechanically but it definitely lacked something in the washing & polishing department. There were plenty of stone chips, the sill covers showed all the signs of mud build up and the mirror bases were corroded. Having said that it was clear that the wheels had been recently refurbed. Critically, the diff mount and boot floor all looked sound. Inside it was pretty good with just some wear to the driver’s seat bolster. The previous owner had had the car for 14 years, it being previously run as a dealer demonstrator and it was showing 56k miles. With a decent heritage and history I was content to take the car and get to work on freshening up the paint.

Day 1 pics:

I quickly decided that I wanted to get the car resprayed and having visited several bodyshops settled on Gaskell Motor Bodies in Blackburn. The owner (Nick) was knowledgeable and had tackled several similar jobs on classic BMWs previously. Gaskell’s are approved repairers for a number of manufacturers (although not BMW ironically!) and had featured in the BMWCCGB magazine a couple of years ago. We decided on a windows out respray of all bar the roof of the coupe. I wanted to replace the sill covers with new and set about prepping the car before it went to Gaskell’s. I removed the original sills which, as predicted, were full of mud and also removed as much trim as possible before setting off to the bodyshop for paint...

Off we go:

Last edited by Ian_C; 07-04-2018, 03:21 PM. Reason: Repaired broken image links
    1998 ///M Coupe

Gaskell’s did a very thorough job of prepping and painting, I was very impressed with the standard of workmanship. The coupe was in good hands...

Collection day:

So now I’m into the rebuild process. The sills and front wings are back on and I’m progressing the remainder of the car. Shouldn’t be too long before it’s back on the road...

Last edited by Ian_C; 07-04-2018, 03:34 PM. Reason: Corrected broken image links
    1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Looks great. How much were the new sill covers? What made you buy new over prepping and re spraying the originals?

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Wav View Post
        Looks great. How much were the new sill covers? What made you buy new over prepping and re spraying the originals?

Cheers,

Paul
        Looking good. I'd also like to know the answer to this!
        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

looking good

Comment

Originally posted by Wav View Post

Cheers,

Paul
            The originals were pretty much shot, especially on the leading edge. I could possibly have repaired them with fibreglass but felt that if I was going to this much trouble I may as well replace. New ones were £148+VAT each from Soper Lincoln (got £50 discount as I think RRP is £175+VAT)
            1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Are the sills a simple couple of bolts off and on?

Did the new sills come prepped ready for spraying?
              2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                Are the sills a simple couple of bolts off and on?
                Pretty much, good guide here: http://zroadster.org/threads/sill-re...try-added.373/

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                Did the new sills come prepped ready for spraying?
                Err, not sure. They were satin black and wrapped in tacky polythene from the BMW parts dept. Bodyshop sprayed both sides in Estoril and lacquer - I trusted that they applied appropriate primer. I further treated the insides with waxoyl before I refitted them to the car.
                1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Yeah I took the same decision when looking at my sill covers with similar leading edge damage. For the price difference in decent quality repair or replacement it was a no brainer.

Also, kudos for the work so far and for starting a journal (almost 4 years in to ownership and I've still not got around to it )
                  Last edited by Fat Tony; 01-06-2014, 11:16 AM.
                  Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                  ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                  Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Excellent start to the Journal. Enjoyed the pictures and read. :)
                    Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
                    In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Nicely done Ian. Hopefully I'll get to see it in the flesh at Silverstone Classic
                      VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Did they replace the window seals on the rear windows or just re-use the old ones?

Comment

They just reused the old ones Dave. Looks ok
                          1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Ian_C View Post
                            They just reused the old ones Dave. Looks ok
                            cheers

Comment

Given that I've had the coupe back on the road for a month or so now I thought it might be an idea to bring my journal up to date with the final stages of the rebuild after painting.

Before putting the arch liners back in I freshened up and protected the vulnerable bits with Hammerite underbody seal...

...cleaned up the splash guards...

...and replaced any rusted nuts & bolts

The new sill covers and front wings were also protected with underbody seal:

Also replaced the splash guards in front of the rear wheels as the originals had definitely seen some action!

With new jack pads the coupe was looking nice and fresh underneath now:

The ///M gills were looking tired so a fresh coat of satin black, some new chrome parts and ///M badges brought them back to life:

Last edited by Ian_C; 07-04-2018, 03:49 PM. Reason: Corrected broken image inks
                              1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X