• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great results Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
      Looking good

I want to do my headlights; have you put any kind of protector on to stop them fading again?
      I haven't - I keep the car in the garage when not in use so it doesn't get constant exposure to UV light (I think this is the cause of fading?). I'm seeing how long they last before/if they need doing again. With the lights off the car it was only 30 mins per headlight to get them sparkling. I was very impressed with the 3M kit - my son had used the Meguiars kit previously but the 3M one seemed so much better i.e. quicker & more effective
      1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Ian_C View Post
        I haven't - I keep the car in the garage when not in use so it doesn't get constant exposure to UV light (I think this is the cause of fading?). I'm seeing how long they last before/if they need doing again. With the lights off the car it was only 30 mins per headlight to get them sparkling. I was very impressed with the 3M kit - my son had used the Meguiars kit previously but the 3M one seemed so much better i.e. quicker & more effective
        UV isn't many peoples friend!

I might give that a try myself then
        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Also added a Storm Motorwerks gearknob and handbrake lever (the new one with an angled detent button):

Last edited by Ian_C; 08-04-2018, 08:31 PM. Reason: Corrected broken image links
          1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Sorry to hear about the injury Ian but great work on the car.

I thought the external temp sensor was behind the rear drivers wheel arch on all Z3m's, not the front bumper as per the none ///M's ?
            VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Jonttt View Post
              I thought the external temp sensor was behind the rear drivers wheel arch on all Z3m's, not the front bumper as per the none ///M's ?
              There are 2 sensors Jon. The one behind the drivers side wheel arch is for the gauge on the centre console (and a feed for the aircon I think). The front bumper sensor is for heated washer jets (windscreen and headlights) if fitted.
              1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

New battery fitted

Last edited by Ian_C; 08-04-2018, 08:40 PM. Reason: Corrected broken image links
                1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Took some time to carry out some preventive maintenance recently. Treated the inside of the sills with Dinitrol Converust and 3125HS. Followed this with some light surface rust treatment under the sills using POR15 and overcoated with Hammerite/Waxoyl underbody seal.

Last edited by Ian_C; 08-04-2018, 09:14 PM. Reason: Corrected broken image links
                  1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

What's the Dinitrol a spray liquid?

Comment

I've not used the convertrust but the 3125 wax is a spray, comes with a long straw nozzle and is great for spraying wax in to box sections etc. It drys a brown waxy colour. I soaked the sills and behind arch/wing/sills on mine with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                        What's the Dinitrol a spray liquid?
                        Originally posted by c_w View Post
                        I've not used the convertrust but the 3125 wax is a spray, comes with a long straw nozzle and is great for spraying wax in to box sections etc. It drys a brown waxy colour. I soaked the sills and behind arch/wing/sills on mine with it.
                        The converust is a spray too. I put some inside the sills before topcoating with the 3125 just in case there was any surface rust in there. I got a multidirectional spray adaptor to make sure it coated everywhere (hence taping up every other hole and covering the lower part of the doors)
                        1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Good to know. I think most of whatever rust you may have on the outside of the chassis rail sills is caused by the sill covers rusting from the inside and it starts at certain areas on the rail too. I can't see the inside of those rails rusting, looks like metal fit for a tank

Comment

Fitted new KWv3 suspension recently. Taking a lead from others I set up as follows:

Rear bump is 5 1/4 turns from full soft (full soft is fully anti-clockwise)
                            Rear rebound is 2 clicks from full soft
                            Front bump is 8 clicks from full soft
                            Front rebound is 7 clicks from full soft

Had a play with ride height and eventually settled on not using the KW adjusters but replaced standard spring pads with new thicker ones from dealer. The ride is truly excellent and I think I've got the stance pretty much spot on too

Last edited by Ian_C; 08-04-2018, 09:17 PM. Reason: Corrected broken image link
                            1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Ian, I've never quite worked out where the adjusters are for the kws. I know stiffness on the front is at the top, but where is the rest?

Car looks great by the way

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Ian,

Can I ask why you didn't use the KW height adjusters?

I have them on mine, but to get the ride height acceptable the springs look virtually coil bound. Consequently the rear is quite hard over speed bumps etc.

Did you just use the KW springs and a BMW pad? If so can you let me know part number of your springs and the BMW pad as I might consider doing the same.

Having written that and thinking about it, to get the height I want (similar to yours) I am not sure whether loosing the adjusters actually gains you anything. I need to get my head under the car and remind myself how it all works.

I don't suppose you can photograph your rear springs when the vehicle weight is on them?

Thanks,

Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X