No announcement yet.

Ian_C Estoril S50 Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take it you won't be at Silverstone then!

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Originally posted by mnbrennan View Post
      I take it you won't be at Silverstone then!
      I will but not with the coupe - just posted a message on .org thread and on here
      1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Reminded by all the other rear subframe refurb threads that I hadn't updated my journal with how mine turned out. I ended up doing a combination of restorative, preventative and cosmetic work. Used Hammerite products throughout (Grey No.1 rust beater, direct-to-rust metal satin black paint and underbody seal)

On the underside I sanded back the surface corrosion as much as possible, primed in grey and finished in black. Not oem but tidy. Had a good look at spot welds and diff mount - all good

Got behind the fuel breather and tidied up the corrosion on the pipes there:

Replaced the old fuel tank straps

Replaced the handbrake cables and tidied up the entry point to the cabin

Refurbed the diff with a new oem bush, new gasket, new bolts, drain & fill plugs, removal of surface corrosion, primed and painted.

Removed all the surface corrosion on the subframe, primed, painted, replaced the swing arm bushes with oem and subframe bushes with powerflex. New bolts all round.

Cleaned up the rear heat shields as best I could - refitted these with some additional stainless penny washers as I had to cut some of the original retaining nuts away and some of the shields had corroded away around the mounting points.

Freshened up the exhaust with some heat resistant paint and put it all back together with new exhaust mounts. You'll also spot the H&R ARB if you look closely.

Lots of work but worth it
        1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Splendid work - looks terrific.
          S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Looking good Ian

Comment

That looks awesome man!

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Replaced the rear brake shoes, discs & pads and tidied up the calipers

1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Looking really great, like new under there now.
                  2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

Hows the project coming along?
                    2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

Fitted new front brake discs and pads and freshened up the calipers and back plates. Brembo discs and Pagid pads are fine for me as I don't take the coupe on track days and with only the occasional bit of 'spirited' driving can't really justify anything more exotic:

Also had 4 new tyres due to inner wear on rears and wanted to match the fronts up (had an 'emergency' set of Toyo Proxes fitted up front a couple of years ago). Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 5 all round:

Coupe looking sharp in the sun

1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

MOT day yesterday. Pass with no advisories Created a lot of interest at the test centre as they hadn't had a coupe on the ramp before, 5 or 6 of them looking around the coupe at one point! Nice to be complimented on the work I'd done on the rear subframe too

1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Haven’t had much opportunity to get the coupe out this year…until this week.

Fitted some new tailgate struts as the originals were well past it.

And then off for an MOT. Passed again with no advisories and some nice complements from the test centre
                          Last edited by Ian_C; 11-08-2022, 09:59 PM.
                          1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Noticed a bit of drivetrain clunk when manouvering at low speed over speed bumps etc during the summer so decided to get under the coupe to address this. Never one to do a half-hearted job I took the plunge and refurbed the front subframe and ancillaries whilst I was there. Ended up replacing guibo/donut (albeit I don't think there was much wrong with this), gearbox mounts (not too bad) and engine mounts (completely shot) - that seems to have sorted the low speed clunk

Also replaced front wishbones (wrecked the balljoints getting the old ones out), front wishbone rear bushes (I used powerflex) and the front H&R ARB I'd had hanging around for a while. I had the front subframe and cross-brace powder coated and generally tidied up surface rust, brackets & bolts. Also fitted a new under tray as the old one was holed. Some pics:

Before:

1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

After:

...and for reference, this is how I supported the engine whilst doing the refurb:

Lots of work but pleased with how it all turned out

1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Just wow. Appreciate this would’ve been a few days of hard work (and many more waiting for the parts), but it looks superb and I’m sure has improved the drive and value of the car!

Well done, Sir!
                                Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
                                In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Working...
                                X