Silver S50 with ACS parts journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
    Oil service carried out at 68k miles. Vanos upper exhaust solenoid re-soldered.
    Did you notice a problem with it Tony?

Comment

It had become a little 'fluffy' at idle Dave. Standing behind the car it was evident that the exhaust just didn't sound as consistent as normal.

Also when on the move, it just didn't feel quite right around the 2000rpm mark.

Had one of the other vanos solenoids re-soldered last year, which had given similar symptoms so I expected the same

I think next year I'll look at getting a refurbed vanos fitted.
      Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
      ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
      Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Seems the slightly irregular idle is back so I'll be investigating that again when the weather warms up a bit. May well get Mr Vanos on the job this year and have it refurbed for peace of mind there.

Sailed through the MOT again today Love this car!
        Last edited by Fat Tony; 03-05-2016, 04:17 PM.

Comment

<obviously not a photo taken at the MoT station with the illegally spaced "show plate" on>....
          2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
            <obviously not a photo taken at the MoT station with the illegally spaced "show plate" on>....
            Haha Ooops

Comment

The car's developed a bit of a creak from the boot area when applying the gas over winter, so I'm going to have a good look at the boot floor again - I've not inspected it for a couple of years. It's not had any work done to it previously, so maybe time

Comment

The car's developed a bit of a creak from the boot area when applying the gas over winter, so I'm going to have a good look at the boot floor again - I've not inspected it for a couple of years. It's not had any work done to it previously, so maybe time
                Hopefully nothing serious!

Comment

Maybe the typically squeaky rear trim divider thingy?
                  2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

I've had a look at the interior of the boot floor and it looks to be in the same state it was when I inspected it a couple of years ago - couple of failed spot welds on left seam - so that's a bit of a relief but I know the interior is only part of the story and that I need to remove more of the soundproofing to see the full floor, but happy that the seams are still in decent condition at least. I'll get the car booked in for inspection of the diff mount and cross member from below.

I did notice that the plastic tailgate surround makes a hell of a squeak while I was at it, but I'm not convinced that's the culprit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QkYxPLDd9I

Failed spot weld:

Clockwise photo tour of the seams from n/s rear to o/s rear:

Last edited by Fat Tony; 08-05-2016, 04:32 PM.

Comment

I've had a look at the interior of the boot floor and it looks to be in the same state it was when I inspected it a couple of years ago - couple of failed spot welds on left seam - so that's a bit of a relief but I know the interior is only part of the story and that I need to remove more of the soundproofing to see the full floor, but happy that the seams are still in decent condition at least. I'll get the car booked in for inspection of the diff mount and cross member from below.

I did notice that the plastic tailgate surround makes a hell of a squeak while I was at it, but I'm not convinced that's the culprit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QkYxPLDd9I
                      That is some squeak
                      Last edited by Fat Tony; 08-05-2016, 04:37 PM. Reason: To reflect changes I made to my post while Dave was quoting it

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                        That is some squeak
                        Yeah, I'll get that plastic off when I've a bit more time and sort it

Comment

Seems the slightly irregular idle is back so I'll be investigating that again when the weather warms up a bit. May well get Mr Vanos on the job this year and have it refurbed for peace of mind there.

Sailed through the MOT again today Love this car!
                          Tony can I just ask if this problem occurs from cold or when warm?

My S50 has a similar problem, it's fine on idle from cold, if however I stop and restart it the car idles very erratically for about 10 minutes after which it is fine again.
                          Estoril S50 (nicely pimped) and a few other M toys.

Comment

Originally posted by aquarius21 View Post
                            Tony can I just ask if this problem occurs from cold or when warm?

My S50 has a similar problem, it's fine on idle from cold, if however I stop and restart it the car idles very erratically for about 10 minutes after which it is fine again.
                            It varies to be honest mate. It often feels a little like it's missing a bit when I set off first thing (cold engine) sub ~2500rpm, but is then fine after half a mile or so. Then once hot, the idle speed will sometimes settle around 600-800 rpm, sometimes 1200rpm. I very rarely use the aircon (I'm a windows down man, even in the winter months), so it's not related to engine demand from that. Other than that variation in where the idle settles, and that slight hesitation when cold, it runs absolutely fantastically.

Replacing the vacuum hoses is on my to-do list, which I think may help.
                            Last edited by Fat Tony; 08-05-2016, 05:38 PM.

Comment

MC has covered 70,000 miles as of today. I'm not sure why that seems like a milestone... I guess I should consider it just about run in now though

Comment

Or the loss of £££££s......!! Footballs to that hey, Tony

Comment

Working...
                                X