X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're the ones, had wanted the clear sleeve but hey ho

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Great work Martin Really good to see your progress with this. Thanks for sharing.

I took my delivery of POR products yesterday so the sills on mine will be getting similarly treated over the next couple of weeks. Not sure I have the knowledge/skills to drop the subframe unfortunately. I'd love to follow your lead on that, but I'd end up breaking things
      Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
      ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
      Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Just to report back, I managed to get everything back together and get the car on the ground on Saturday afternoon, ready to travel to a friends before a Sunday meet.

The car feels so much better. I had reported earlier that the car felt bouncy, but now that I have the new subframe bushes everything is far, far better. The bouncy feeling has gone, and the car feels so much more stable. Roll in the turns is vastly reduced.

Im just waiting for some new 15mm spacers for the front now

Comment

Any noticeable noise/vibration/harshness?

Comment

There is a little over rutted roads, like there are slats across the road. Nothing horrendous though

Comment

Great write up Martin. Really interesting read and some genuinely clever tips and tricks for people.
              S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by inkey$ View Post
                Great write up Martin. Really interesting read and some genuinely clever tips and tricks for people.
                Thanks, appreciate that.

I had another question so I'll post here. The rails right next to the outer sills are solid along the length of the car so can be used to jack on

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                  I did this a few months back and just kept pulling on them and the stopping and re pulling and after a while they came free, it may be worth trying to get some wd40 or similar into the join and leave over night?
                  In the end I had to drill the old handbrake cables out. Just took some patience.

I picked up an exhaust at the weekend. I still have the original, and will be keeping the current gutted exhaust. Need to find a set of ramps in order to install the one I just picked up

20170312_091158 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

20170312_091113 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

20170312_091127 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

20170312_091132 by mnbrennan, on Flickr
                  Last edited by mnbrennan; 20-01-2018, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Martin,

If it helps you are welcome to use the ramp at mine over the weekend.

Would be good to see your Coupe refurbishments in the metal too.

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsG View Post
                      Martin,

If it helps you are welcome to use the ramp at mine over the weekend.

Would be good to see your Coupe refurbishments in the metal too.

Thanks Russ, that's a very kind offer. I'll drop you a message separately

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by mnbrennan View Post
                        Thanks Russ, that's a very kind offer. I'll drop you a message separately

Martin
                        Anytime.

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

Looks good - what make is it?

Comment

It is a custom exhaust. You can tell because of;

Pressure bends on pipework
                            Generic Half shell pressings on muffler outlet
                            Welding quality on muffler outlet pressing
                            Cat Cone design
                            Hanger wire design
                            X pipe design.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_Bmw View Post
                              It is a custom exhaust. You can tell because of;

Pressure bends on pipework
                              Generic Half shell pressings on muffler outlet
                              Welding quality on muffler outlet pressing
                              Cat Cone design
                              Hanger wire design
                              X pipe design.
                              Are these good features?
                              S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Pressure bends on pipework - No
                                Generic Half shell pressings on muffler outlet - Fine, no problem
                                Welding quality on muffler outlet pressing - The weld to the muffler outlet looks a bit poor, as indeed does a fair bit of the MIG welding.
                                Cat Cone design - Its ok
                                Hanger wire design - Looks a bit poorly thought out.
                                X pipe design. - Its ok.

By the way, this is the normal standard for a custom exhaust. Nothing horrendous, just not as well thought out as an OEM part. But this is normal, an OEM part has hundreds of thousands spent on development and even more on tooling with around 18months from conception to start of production with a team of perhaps 10. A man in his shed has a day, maybe two with a couple of grand at his disposal if he is lucky!

I was just commenting on what make really, the exhaust will be fine and potentially more free flowing than the standard one. Is it as "good", well that's an opinion thing...
                                Last edited by Jon_Bmw; 16-03-2017, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X