No announcement yet.

New Journal: Rhubarb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That’s looking very good. Interested to see how the paint protection film endures on the panels - I’ve only ever seen it used on the front part of a bonnet
    1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

• respray

good work martin ,i did mine a few years ago and remember those rear panells being a real pain.

Comment

• I have my front end done including the front wings.
        The benefit of this has been immeasurable given the amount of stray stones that The coupe can pick up.
        Suggest that your fitter ensures 100% that the panel has no bubble etc as rectifying a bolted on panel like that will be fun lol
        Also, any innovative ideas for the mirrors? Mine have 3 pieces due to the shape which is acceptable but not ideal.

Can’t wait to see it Martin

Comment

• Cheers Ian, Jess, Rahul.

I've opted not to do the bonnet and wing mirrors yet as they have a few stone chips which I'm trying to sort

I'm really not sure if you could do the wing mirrors any better as they are such a complex shape!

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

• One question I do have is whether the screws on the sills, wings etc. were painted in the body colour from the factory? I think they are

I'm sure Dave will know!

Comment

• Originally posted by mnbrennan View Post
              One question I do have is whether the screws on the sills, wings etc. were painted in the body colour from the factory? I think they are

I'm sure Dave will know!

The visible ones are certainly body colour not sure about hidden ones

Comment

• Thanks Dave I thought so

So the plan then is to drop these into the top of a cardboard box, zinc primer then spray imola.

Comment

• What was supposed to be a reasonably easy job has turned into an epic

When I said the remedial work was holding up, it actually hasn't. When I did the inner sills a couple of years ago I intended to remove the jacking points and protect underneath but didn't get round to it. The POR15 hasn't really worked where I did paint, so have decided to re-do the full lot.

When I took the front and rear wings off, it was all good under there with only a couple of small rust spots to be dealt with. I cleaned up underneath and treated it with Bilt Hamber Dynax S50

IMG_20190209_101600 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

For the inner sills I started with all jacking points looking like this

IMG_20190209_161538 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

I stripped these as much as possible using an abrasive disc on an angle grinder which got me to here.

IMG_20190210_161804 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

I then treated them with Bilt Hamber Deox Gel which eats away the rust, which got the points to this state (sorry about my face!)
                  IMG_20190216_091801 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

I then stripped the rest back to bare metal using a flap disc (might as well do it all properly)
                  IMG_20190216_091642 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

And applied Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80. This converts any remaining rust and acts as a barrier to stop the rust coming back
                  IMG_20190216_151606 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

It's then had a couple of coats of Electrox Zinc rich primer. Whist it's not perfectly smooth I just need it to be functional and stop the rust coming back
                  IMG_20190216_163440 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

The next steps are to give them a couple of coats of Epoxy Mastic and a coating of Dynax UC and treat inside the sills to Bilt Hamber s50

All of the new panels have been treated to Dynax UC inside to protect them

IMG_20190210_120429 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

Comment

• So I managed to get a lot more done this weekend, including the final 2x layers of epoxy mastic on the sills which now look almost oem

IMG_20190223_163253 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

The inside the inner sills have been treated to a liberal coating of Bilt Hamber s50, and the outside treated to a couple of layers of Bilt Hamber Dynax UC

So in total the rust treatment consisted of:
                    • Grinding back
                    • 3x hits of Deox Gel
                    • Ground again
                    • 2x layers of Hydrate 80
                    • 2x layers of Zinc Primer
                    • 2x layers of Epoxy Mastic
                    • 2x layers of Dynax UC

If that doesn’t keep the rust at bay, I’m not sure what will!

I'd started to put the interior back together, before I realised I'd put the wings on incorrectly and had to take them back off again!

Finally got the sills and front bumper in place and got everything lined up nicely

IMG_20190224_112429 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

It's taken a lot of time and effort to get here (I reckon at least 30 hours of my time, plus others to paint and wrap) but there is still a lot to do:
                    • Paint and fit new screws (when they eventually come)
                    • Fit wheel arch liners
                    • Refit all ducting behind the front bumper
                    • Refit undertrays
                    • Fit some trim to the rear (new flaps near the lights) and fit rear lights
                    • Clean and protect wheels
                    • Take off the injector rail and send injectors for cleaning
                    • Refit intake

She's also due an inspection II service this spring and maybe some new mods....

Then she's ready for this season! Feel like I've missed out a couple of days already

Comment

• Good work Martin

Comment

• Originally posted by mnbrennan View Post
                        What was supposed to be a reasonably easy job has turned into an epic

When I said the remedial work was holding up, it actually hasn't. When I did the inner sills a couple of years ago I intended to remove the jacking points and protect underneath but didn't get round to it. The POR15 hasn't really worked where I did paint, so have decided to re-do the full lot.

When I took the front and rear wings off, it was all good under there with only a couple of small rust spots to be dealt with. I cleaned up underneath and treated it with Bilt Hamber Dynax S50

For the inner sills I started with all jacking points looking like this

IMG_20190209_161538 by mnbrennan, on Flickr
                        Interesting, thanks for sharing. Did mine with POR15 a couple of years ago too. Will have to take the sill covers off and take a look to see how it’s all holding up. If it’s starting to deteriorate again then I’ll take your lead and get them back to bare metal.
                        1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian_C View Post
                          Interesting, thanks for sharing. Did mine with POR15 a couple of years ago too. Will have to take the sill covers off and take a look to see how it’s all holding up. If it’s starting to deteriorate again then I’ll take your lead and get them back to bare metal.
                          I have to declare that my prep last time, wasn't great and I didn't really tackle the lift points

Comment

• Excellent job mate I had similar work done on my MC last year, though didn't have the time to do it myself so had to shell out the hard-earned instead. Great to know that it's all sorted though
                            Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                            ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                            Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

• Some of your selfies Martin do make me laugh

Comment

• I never was much good at photography!

Comment

Working...
                                X