Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keith's Dakar Z3 M Coupe - Progress Update with Pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
    Great write-up Keith! Looking forward to getting home as my companies internet "spy" program has blocked all your pictures! I too have the same wing mirror mount problem and would like to get this sorted when the weather gets abit better so your write-up will help alot.
    You've some patience to read all that without images! Thanks anyway Spooks.

Looks like the write up on the mirrors will be a good DIY reference for others, so once I've finished them all I'll get it done.

Ex-Dakar MC Owner - Gone But Not Forgotten

Comment

Excellent write-up on often overlooked issues - will probably attempt this in the spring myself. Cheers

Comment

I'm sure someone on here warned of folding the mirrors on cars that don't ever get folded in that they can snap somehow (was it Coupefan??).

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
          I'm sure someone on here warned of folding the mirrors on cars that don't ever get folded in that they can snap somehow (was it Coupefan??).
          Possible I guess. Like I say, mechanically, there really isn't much to break. It's a solid metal bracket, which is sprung loaded to the metal base. The only thing that could crack I guess, is if the spring mechanism was seized... In which case as you twisted, the points at which the bracket is screwed to the plastic mirror body could break.

Judging by the amount of sh1t that was between my mirror and base, I pretty sure mine must have been stationary since new, and they moved OK.

For reference;
          Passenger side you pull out and turn clockwise
          Driver's side you pull out and turn anti clockwise

Comment

Great write up - don't suppose you have any good hints for something as basic as removing the door card (even any pics?). My passenger side tweeter has dropped into the door card - not sure how - and I need to remove the card to refit. I'm useless with even the basics!!

Cheers
            2000 Dakar Yellow

Comment

Originally posted by daviddunn View Post
              Great write up - don't suppose you have any good hints for something as basic as removing the door card (even any pics?). My passenger side tweeter has dropped into the door card - not sure how - and I need to remove the card to refit. I'm useless with even the basics!!

Cheers
              No pictures, but I can describe it pretty easy - its easier than you might think. I'll try to describe as much detail as possible.

1. Remove mirror adjustment switch, using a small flathead screwdriver covered in tape to protect your leather. Get it in there and just slowly prise it out. It'll come. Then pull the switch off from it's connecting block - it just pulls off as it connected only by 6 small pins.

2. Inside the vacant hole, you will be able to see a small Torx head bolt. This holds the handle to the door, so you don't rip it off when you pull it closed! Remove this bolt.

3. On which ever side, lift up the end closest to the rear of the car of the black plastic trim that surrounds the door open latch, and slide toward the front off the car. It comes off easy!

4. That is it, now you just need to pop the card off. This is held on by about 6 plastic trim clips which just 'pop' out with a tug. This needs to be a quick, sharp movement, else they will stay put and you will tear them from the door if you try to slowly peel the card away like a plaster.

7. Start 2/3rd up on the side of the card nearest the front. You should be able to get a couple fingers in, and just yank until you hear it pop off! work your fingers down further to the bottom corner to the next one, and then along the bottom - where it tightens, you'll have reached another clip. Again, pop off and continue around the card.

8. If you hear what sounds like card tearing, this is the clip mounting tearing itself away from the card - they are glued on to fibreboard, so its not surprising that the bonding glue attaching it, is tougher than the surface it is mounted to! If this happens, get your head underneath, find where the clip is, and simply put a big flathead driver behind it and pop it off using the metal of the door to lever it - the damage can simply be repaired after. One of my clips tore itself from the board, so I just Araldited it back on - good as new.

9. Once you have removed all the clips, the card is simply hanging on at the top. This can simply be lifted off (you won't break anything) - start from the side nearest the front of the car. Once it is off, just make sure you disconnect the speaker and something else that eludes me right now... They simply pull apart, no problem.

10. Your card is off!

11. Replacing the card is the reversal off removal, but takes time to get it aligned correctly at the top. I had to use a little wooden tool I made, so I could use a rubber mallet to go along and 'knock' the top trim back onto the door. When you have it all aligned, punch the card where the clips are to ensure they pop back in nice and tight first time.

Hope that helps mate.
              Last edited by -Keith-; 06-01-2010, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Good useful instructions! You will find the job easier (and possibly less destructive!) if you invest a very few quid in a tool to prise out the trim tabs.

Many such tools available on ebay at little cost.
                Col N.
                Life is not a rehearsal !

Porsche Cayenne S
                ex Audi S4 Avant
                ex 2001 S54 Titanium, Black
                ex Porsche 968

Comment

Anyone else getting the feeling (amongst the small group of technically inept on here, of which I am one...) that keith's threads will become future classics?!

I'm certainly bookmarking them for future reference! Keep up the good work!

Nick

Comment

I installed the Storm gear shifter..and yes it is bloody cold i also installed the matching handbrake replacement too,these match perfectly along with the stainless blanking plug for the cigar lighter,

I also started to inspect and repair the side mirrors..and found before twisting the mirror round a good soaking with a good lubricant will help they are still very stiff tho!

The door card attachments are very inexpensive to replace so dont worry about breaking them..i think they are the same as Ford ones easily bought from the dealers..

I will be contacting the leather chaps as i have a few scuffs..thanks for the post rated exellent..

Comment

Excellent write-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. N View Post
                        Anyone else getting the feeling (amongst the small group of technically inept on here, of which I am one...) that keith's threads will become future classics?!

I'm certainly bookmarking them for future reference! Keep up the good work!

Nick
                        Totally agree!! One thing ive always wondered if it was possible, bookmarking....how do you do it?!

I too want to try the leather repairer as I have an annoying scuff on the passenger bolster and one the centre console, both kindly done by a guy who i used to give a FREE bloody lift to!
                        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

^^^Lol, thanks guys, I'm touched

Seriously, do the leather treatment - only costs a small amount for the kit and a few hours of your time, but when done properly it'll transform cabin - the interior will seem new.

Key is the prep. You must wash the surface of all the leather with a damp cloth to remove the surface grime. Next you must shampoo all the leather with a soft nail brush to agitate the dirt. Again, rinse off with a damp cloth a couple time and let the leather dry. This will be lovley and clean ready for treatment.

Next you spot-treat the individual scuffs - I used a cocktail stick to apply the neat dye. Once all those are done, you make a dye solution with 15% water, and wash the entire leather using a small sponge to apply. This can also be done with a spray gun if you are handy with one.

Once the dye has dried, you can condition the leather to make it lovely and supple again.

All done! It's that easy to have a nearly-new cabin... You know what to do when the summer arrives ;)

Comment

Keith - slightly OT here but as you've just taken off your mirrors maybe you (or someone else) can help me out. My driver's side mirror base has been resprayed (rather badly) by someone in the past. Since I have had the car, I cannot get the mirror to adjust far enough outwards to be useful - the glass it tilted out to the maximum yet all I get is a (rather gorgeous ) view of my real wheel-arch.

When putting your mirror back onto the car, is it critical how it is reattached? Is there any movement in the position of the base that could explain why mine does not seem to be in the correct position? Or is it possible to put the glass back in upside-down? My mirror look symmetrical but I cannot for the life of me figure out why I can't see anything out of the driver's side!
                            '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

On another note - to those considering the scuffmaster kits - be careful! I have tried the imola kit for the two-tone seats in my car for a small scuff, and the colour is completely different to the stock leather! I now need to find a professional leather repairer to sort them out properly!
                              '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

Hello mate. Re the Scuffmaster kits, they come with toner to lighten the colour if it is too dark, and a gloss enhancer to give a gloss finish if you so wish. You're meant to test it on a small area, but I can appreciate it must be hard. Black is so easy to sort... Comes in just one tone...

As for the mirror, it sounds simple. I think the gear on the motor has skiiped a couple teeth on the mirror platform... You will need to remove the glass and just skip it back a few so you can regain outward adjustment, if that makes sense.

You may be able to do it without even removing the glass... Adjust the mirror as far inward as it will go, and then press the glass with both hands to try and make it skip a few teeth in the other direction.

It can only be that, if it still works both ways.
                                Last edited by -Keith-; 06-01-2010, 10:04 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes

Comment

Working...
                                X