Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle issues

Hi.

Car generally idles at 800 rpm. Occasionally and more often it's been idling
    At 1500 rpm. Not after start but when I've done a few miles and the engines warm.
    The cars not lost a drop of oil. Temp , sits about 90 degrees and rock steady no matter what type if driving I'm doing. 29,000 miles. S50.

Any thoughts?

Dave

Ha, I just about to post about mine doing the same. Read a couple of threads on here about a missing cap on a t-piece beneath the air box. Haven't had a chance to have a nosey yet, or whether mine features this t-piece or not (having the Simota fitted, rather than OE air box - not sure what the T-piece is part of)
    Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
    ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
    Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

could be this problem,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...ght=rough+idle

Comment

Yeah, I'll take a look at that when I get chance.
        The engine is running really smooth at idle and not hunting, just idling too fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Mallon View Post
          The engine is running really smooth at idle and not hunting, just idling too fast!
          Ditto. Sorry Dave, I don't mean to crash your thread but seemed daft having 2 running on the same subject

Mine can vary from one idle to the next though. Stop at a set of lights, 700ish, next stop and it may be the same or more like 1100, next set whichever of the two it fancies. Oh and occasionally I'll start it up and it'll jump to around 2000rpm on idle. Blip the throttle a tad and it (usually) drops to 700ish straight away.

Running sweet-as otherwise. Had a great run today. Love driving this motor
          Last edited by Fat Tony; 25-06-2011, 05:28 PM.

Comment

If anyone needs the cap that goes on the hose ive got one spare!! Brand new!

Comment

Throttle cable sticking?
              S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

My idle was erratic too , t piece plug was cracked so I replaced it , also cleaned the air mass meter? As per a thread on here , replaced the air filter too ( actually put the oe filter and box on instead of the simota ). Been fine since

Comment

does it make any difference that the aircon may be switched on?

my car would behave differently, and would idle higher if the aircon was on! the accel pedal would feel different too (bit of a thump up the backside when letting go?)

Click here to email me

Comment

It just runs, 100-200 higher than whatever it decides it wants to do at the time with the aircon on.

Was fine the other night, steady at 800 when I was stationary! Hopefully I'll have time to look at it next week!

Thanks for your replies!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Mallon View Post
                      Hi.

Car generally idles at 800 rpm. Occasionally and more often it's been idling
                      At 1500 rpm. Not after start but when I've done a few miles and the engines warm.
                      The cars not lost a drop of oil. Temp , sits about 90 degrees and rock steady no matter what type if driving I'm doing. 29,000 miles. S50.

Any thoughts?

Dave

old post with some more info,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...?t=4254&page=4

Comment

Thanks for that link Dave. Missed that thread when I dud a search. I spoke to the tech at the indy I use on Friday and he suggests it's probably the idle control valve on mine, given the symptoms I provided.

He also confirmed that giving the ICV a good clean can often resolve it.
                        Last edited by Fat Tony; 03-07-2011, 04:56 AM.

Comment

ive had symptons like this ages ago when i looked at the vacuum hose to see if i had a missing cap i found that a small bolt and a jubillee clip had been placed on the end of the hose so no problems there,i also cleaned the maff sensor,i also replaced throttle cable,oiled all springs on the throttle body's,replaced the idle control, and never had a problem since! i would sujest oiling all moving parts that relate to the throttle first,

Comment

It's definitely not the throttle cable in my case. I've checked to see if it's at the stop while the revs are high, and it is. The revs also rise with no input on the throttle

Comment

Mine has the same problem in the past week or so. Fingers crossed its an easy fix. I.e the rubber cap. I doubt it is the Throttle cable as that only 2 months old.

After blowing one up any little thing makes me paranoid with these things . . .
                              Previous: Silver s50 Mc
                              Previous: Yellow s50 Mc
                              -------------------------------------------
                              Current: Estoril S50 Mc

Comment

Working...
                              X