Rough running ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough running ?

Strange issue this one,95% of the time my car run's great plenty of pull etc,on start up the idle is acceptable,then once warm settles down to a nice steady idle which slightly increases once warm,so nothing really strange going on,however ocasionly once warmed up i can stop,revs will go down and the car shakes and rattles all over the place,i can increase the revs it then smoothes out if i then can get over 25000 revs so the the vanos comes into to play,it will even itself out again,having spoken to a few people a sujestion has been mentioned of the clutches ? slipping in the Vanos ? which may need replacing,my vanos was rebuilt a couple of years ago by Steve at mr Vanos,so i am not sure what to do,i know when my Vanos was rebuilt the Exhaust side was out.might this be the cause having slipped again? TIA Mel.

My car idles at circa 900 rpm when first started then drops to 600 rpm shortly there after. No other fluctuation.

Sounds like something is not quite right, sorry no experience of this. You do well to get to 25K revs though!!!

Good luck,
    Ian
    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Don't worry, I can get over 25000rpm either 😜

Sounds like it might be worth checking the idle control valve, vac pipes and throttle cable/tension etc.

Not sure if yours an s50 or s54 but they should be about the same. Mine starts from cold and idles about 950rpm, which drops to about 600 when warm. No fluctuations or further changes, except when the aircon is on in which case is tends to just idle a little higher than normal.

Comment

May have the figures wrong however it warms up and settles well,and drives great! and then goes wonky ! all hoses have been checked,icv has been changed,which was a pia.It does sound like a Vanos issue,i checked the filter and there was some dark marking to the right of the filter it did not have an o ring on it,surely this wouldnt cause the issues, it feels like the timing just moves out of sync.. hence the mention of the clutches? in the Vanos being worn i have never read anything on here about this?

Comment

Im not aware of the vanos having any clutches, and I don't think it has any opportunity to slip

As above vacuum hoses could be deteriorated. When I looked at mine, the hoses had no chance of holding any air (or lack thereof).

Have you been able to look at any codes? Perhaps when you meet up with Rags I can come along with INPA?

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Sounds a bit like the issue I had with idle recently. Vanos solenoids (inlet) needed a little solder sorting.
            Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
            ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
            Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

OK Tony which is the inlet looking at the vanos.?

Comment

I don't know I'm sorry mate, I just handed my keys over to my trusty indie garage

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
                  OK Tony which is the inlet looking at the vanos.?
                  Inlet is RHS solenoid, although for the sake of a few extra minutes it's worth checking (or running solder) over both.

If you unplug the solenoids you should get around 5 ohm between two of the pins on the plug (solenoid side).

Comment

Thank's Miike.

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
                      May have the figures wrong however it warms up and settles well,and drives great! and then goes wonky ! all hoses have been checked,icv has been changed,which was a pia.It does sound like a Vanos issue,i checked the filter and there was some dark marking to the right of the filter it did not have an o ring on it,surely this wouldnt cause the issues, it feels like the timing just moves out of sync.. hence the mention of the clutches? in the Vanos being worn i have never read anything on here about this?

As said I don't think there are any clutches in the vanos unit, also an air leak you would think would cause problems all the time no just when warm?

Comment

Nope, i didnt think there was any clutches in the Vanos,i will get the exhaust cam checked along with the wiring,as i cannot make it do the wobbly thing,i think its pointing at the Solenoids, Thanks All.

Comment

Any joy in getting to the bottom of it mate?

Comment

it really makes the car shake and rattle ? does it do it when idling or only when driving ? A clutch release bearing failure can cause terrible vibration when slipping the clutch. If it is shaking and rattling on idle then my inkling would be a major vacuum leak rather than a vanos fault.

Comment

Nope not sorted yet,it is not a clutch issue,but will get sorted when back after having new wings fited will let you know whats found.

Comment

Working...
                              X