Wanted: Instrument cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Instrument cluster

My car has had a wacky fuel guage since I bought it and despite the best efforts of an auto electrician, who temporarily fixed it, it still isn't reliable.

He re-soldered the connection at the back of the instrument cluster and commented that it looked as if it had been done before and wasn't in great condition. He also tested the fuel sender which was fine.

So, wanting to know how much fuel I have for once, I was wondering if anyone had an old instrument cluster hanging around that I could buy. There's one on German ebay for 300Euro and there are roadster ones but I want to keep the Coupe emblem on there (which doubles the price as roadster ones are only 100 Euro+)
    Last edited by 4xhausts; 09-02-2018, 03:53 PM.

Someone posted up saying they had one a few months ago - doesn't say if its a coupe or roadster,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/search...archid=1983595

Comment

They have had this UK cluster for years so may be wanting to get shot if you give them a offer? I think it came off the high mileage evergreen coupe they broke for parts,

https://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-E36-Z3-M...8AAOSwj0NUcIk4

Comment

Just wondered if a fuel gauge from a Z3 roadster would be compatible? If they are, there a few lads on z3roadster.org site who break z3 roadsters who would maybe have a fuel gauge available.
        I've had a few bits from Andy, "spurs fan in a coupe", might be worth trying him.
        Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
        2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
        1986 M635
        1985 E28 M5
        1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Hi
          Yes I have z3 roadster fuel tank sender unit, was the same part for my old lhd 2.8 Z3Coupe.
          Cheers Pete, I am still breaking a few zeds in my spare time
          Andy

Comment

Hi Andy,
            I think it’s the actual fuel gauge that OP is after. Are they the same on the roadster as on the coupe?
            Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
            2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
            1986 M635
            1985 E28 M5
            1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

I'm not 100% certain what I need to be honest, but the autoelectrician and my mechanic agreed a new cluster would solve it as the connection isn't great from being poorly soldered previously.

Any help appreciated.

Comment

I’d buy a standard Z3 cluster from eBay just to make sure it is your fault, as far as I know the clusters don’t normally fail.
                If it is a connection problem there’s a good chance of repairing your M cluster using parts from the Z3 one. Allowing your to keep the original unit & not having to change the mileage.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion, that's a good idea. I don't want to lose the correct mileage, so I think I'll give that a go.

Comment

Just listed on ebay,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bmw-z3m-c...IAAOSwWMhagzad

Comment

Thanks Dave. I am buying a standard z3 cluster from Andy on the forum and hoping to use the connection board from it as Walk suggested. Spoke to the auto electrician and he seemed to think it was possible to use the z3 board to fix the existing cluster. Will let you know how I get on, fingers crossed

Comment

My son is a wizard with all things electronic

He repairs existing and instrument clusters

He could probably repair yours or make 2 out of 1
                        The vin and mileage are held in the eprom
                        He can remove and solder on new board of needed

Frightens me some of the small things solders
                        [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if individual instruments can be adapted from other clusters? I'm thinking of using bits from an E46 M3 cluster as spares for my S54 cluster (grey dials).

Comment

Thanks for the offer to help, I have a z3 cluster arriving from Z3m Andy, so I will give my auto electrician the chance to have a go at it but if that fails, I'll be in touch. I'll update this with the outcome, would be good if a standard z3 circuit board can be used to help with dial faults as the clusters are pricey.

Comment

Working...
                            X