Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > M Coupé Technical > Technical Discussion
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31-07-2006, 03:25 PM

Just had mine fixed under EW ... was the MAF, changed it on the car (S54) and now she is perfect !
Old 24-08-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1975
Hi Outrun,

have you had any closure on your idling problem?

cheers

David
Nope - he has sold the car to me and I have now experienced it first hand.

Drove to the airport on Tuesday morning - car started at "normal" revs at home. Pulled into the car park where the revs stuck at about 1300 rpm. Blipped the throttle, but no joy. Didn't have time to try work it out, so turned off and got my flight. Got back last night, turned the key - revs shot up to 1600 initially, blipped the throttle and they settled to around 1300 again. Left for home. Got the the queues at the Forth Road Bridge and "normal" idling had resumed.

I've not had a chance to look under the bonnet yet, but I am wondering whether a "sticking" throttle cable might be the cause? I don't know what the throttle mechanism is on the S50, but I had a similar problem on an old Corvette that I used to have and that turned out to be the cause.

Any thoughts anyone?

ex Estoril Blue Z3M Coupe
Old 03-10-2006, 09:11 PM

Hmmm....I know I am probably clutching at straws here but last two tankfuls have been V Power (or whatever Optimax is called now) and problem is worse than ever. Prior to that, I've been using BP's Ultimate unleaded and things were fine on the whole. Will switch back when I next need to fill the tank and will report back. Very smooth under acceleration but lumpy/irregular idling :?:

Old 04-10-2006, 01:51 PM

Is it just a problem at idle?

I had a similar sounding problem with my e36 328. When I changed gear and released the throttle, the revs would stay up where they were for a while, and when they did fall, it was all of a sudden with a bit of a 'jerk'. The revs sometimes climbed up by themselves when I was sitting in traffic.

I took the car to an indy to have a diagnostics check done, and it was the potentiometer. Changed this and it has been fine ever since.

Total bill including the diagnostics check was less than half thanexcess would be for an extended warranty claim.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggusladdus
Is it just a problem at idle?

I had a similar sounding problem with my e36 328. When I changed gear and released the throttle, the revs would stay up where they were for a while, and when they did fall, it was all of a sudden with a bit of a 'jerk'. The revs sometimes climbed up by themselves when I was sitting in traffic.

I took the car to an indy to have a diagnostics check done, and it was the potentiometer. Changed this and it has been fine ever since.

Total bill including the diagnostics check was less than half thanexcess would be for an extended warranty claim.
Yeah the problem only appears at idle and is pretty much as described at the top of this message. Outrun did have the potentiometer replaced but the issue appears to have returned. I'll have to get it back in for a check and see what they come up with.

Old 14-10-2006, 11:44 PM

I took the car into BMW to have a look at - they test drove the car and witnessed the high idling. They suggested they would need to bring it in for diagnostics and that might take up to three days to complete. I couldn't spare the car over the past couple of weeks, so it hasn't been in.

What I did do, however, was read the manual and note that it recommended 95RON fuel for M powered Coupes. So the last three tanks have been 95RON rather than Optimax or V Power and the idle problem and shuddering has completely disappeared. I've done a good 500 miles without incident in all kinds of weather barring snow/ice but give it a month...

Old 16-10-2006, 11:37 AM

Brett, Glad to hear its solved the problem but my manual and sticker on fuel gauage recomemnds 98 Ron Fuel for my S50??

Was it the owners manual you were reading?

cheers

Dave
Old 16-10-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
.............Was it the owners manual you were reading?

cheers

Dave
maybe one off an old sierra!
Old 16-10-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEN
Quote:
.............Was it the owners manual you were reading?

cheers

Dave
maybe one off an old sierra!
I'll double check but it was the owners manual that came with the car! I'm sure it said BMW on the outside rather than Sierra, but having worked the weekend from hell, I could be mistaken :shock:

Old 16-10-2006, 04:18 PM

Well I double checked today - the manual definitely says "BMW Z3" on the front. On page 26 under fuel grade it says 91RON for 2.8 and 3.0 engines and M engines 95RON. I also looked in the fuel filler cap and it says 95-98RON.

Tags
idle, maf