No announcement yet.

Boot floor.....oh no !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does seem different to normal but I'm not as familiar with coupe boots as roady's

The bottom right shot also looks a little odd (but may be camera) as the paint on the filler seems a different colour. So far as I can remember all interior paint in these areas is a different paint that the exterior with a matt type finish. This looks different ?
    VIDEO or Journal

Comment

• Send a note to Randy Forbes to have a look at it. If anyone knows what this is, it will be him.

Si.

Comment

• Jonttt, I think the colour variation on the filler is just due to the camera, its not that evident in reality. I know what you mean about the matte finish paint (like in the engine bay), but I don't remember seeing it in any of the other photographs of the boot floor. Especially not just a patch under the insulation.

Si - great idea. Done!
        2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hatter View Post
          Thanks Kwoffa. I'll get the rest of the soundproofing off and look at the boot where you mentioned. The 'chicken wire' is actually an imprint left over from the insulation above (the metal is perfectly smooth, and nothing is embedded there). The soundproofing looked normal prior to removal - picture below. Had a look at other peoples boot pictures and couldn't find anything like it.........???

It all looks box-stock (totally standard...) to me; the pliable seam-sealer gets "stained" by the (black) asphalt mat, and doesn't come clean like the painted surfaces.

At first glance, I thought that perhaps the asphalt mat carried a bit further to the left than usual, but after seeing your last picture, it looks to be perfectly fine.

There doesn't appear to be even the slightest bit of separation along the seam you've exposed, but I'd go a bit further and remove the portion of asphalt mat as seen in my picture below. Done this way, the mat can be replaced should the trunkfloor ever need to be repaired. With this portion of the asphalt mat removed, you'll be able to inspect Ground Zero: the first place your bootfloor will attempt to separate from the hollow XMBR below:

I've already removed all the pliable seam-sealer in this shot, or you'd see that it would've been stained black as yours is:

Might as well give you a look at more steps to the finished job...

My welding tent all set up to protect the glass & remaining trim from welding and grinding sparks:

Toughening up the swaybar mounts as well:

Cleaned, primed, seams resealed and asphalt mat replaced...

... followed with some texture and final paint colour:

Likewise, the underside:

And back to where I started, only better!

The entire project, including toe/camber kits, motor mount reinforcement, connecting rod bearings, etc., etc., can all be seen here: http://www.spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index.php/GBCoupe
          Randy Forbes
          Sports Cars Plus, LLC
          Parrish, Florida, USA
          http://spcarsplus.com/piwigo/

Comment

• Liking your extractor fan in the boot hole!!!

Do you do anything with the clamp half of the roll bar bracket (ie the part that goes round the bar itself) as these to me seem like they only insert in to the body bracket by 1mm and look like they could pull out. Mine haven't done so far but it always seemed a bit of a risky design to me.

I would say the mastic or whatever it is in the area where the tyre inflator kit normal resides is normal too.

Comment

• Randy, that's brilliant - many thanks for the (extremely) quick reply. Has certainly helped put my mind at ease. Had visions of all kinds of dodgy fixes going on in my boot (although, there was part of me that was kind of hoping BMW had done a warranty repair on it.....). I'll get the remaining insulation off and have a look over there. It's just a pity you're 3000 miles away.... Thanks again.

c_w glad to hear it all looks normal to you too. Now to get the remainder off and find someone to seam weld it while it's all out ( I'm guessing it's recommended to get it seam welded?......).
              2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.

Comment

• Originally posted by c_w View Post
                Liking your extractor fan in the boot hole!!!

Do you do anything with the clamp half of the roll bar bracket (ie the part that goes round the bar itself) as these to me seem like they only insert in to the body bracket by 1mm and look like they could pull out. Mine haven't done so far but it always seemed a bit of a risky design to me.

I would say the mastic or whatever it is in the area where the tyre inflator kit normal resides is normal too.
                I have to agree with you, as far as the looks of that clamp go, but it's proven itself to be stronger than it looks, as I've encountered this sight numerous times!

But to answer your question, no, I have not done anything to improve upon that clamp design. If I were, it would be to make it a two-hole clamp, similar to what holds the front swaybar in place__this of course would neccessitate a totally revised mount on the body. You'd have to be running a pretty heavy bar to need that, and there's a lot people on this side of the pond that remove the rear bar completely, compensating with a higher (rear) spring rate.

Furthermore, I agree with your assessment of the heavy bead of seam sealer in the RH well__they all look just like that

Originally posted by Hatter View Post
                Randy, that's brilliant - many thanks for the (extremely) quick reply. Has certainly helped put my mind at ease. Had visions of all kinds of dodgy fixes going on in my boot (although, there was part of me that was kind of hoping BMW had done a warranty repair on it.....). I'll get the remaining insulation off and have a look over there. It's just a pity you're 3000 miles away.... Thanks again.

c_w glad to hear it all looks normal to you too. Now to get the remainder off and find someone to seam weld it while it's all out ( I'm guessing it's recommended to get it seam welded?......).
                My pleasure, I'm glad I could put you at ease. Please contact me again if you (or anyone else) wants me to review pictures of anything you're uncertain about.

Yes, if only the Atlantic Ocean were (much) narrower, I'm sure I could stay a lot busier
                Randy Forbes
                Sports Cars Plus, LLC
                Parrish, Florida, USA
                http://spcarsplus.com/piwigo/

Comment

• Good job the feeble BMW spot-welds are the weakest link as I seam-welded the ARB brackets when I sorted my rear boot floor! They hadn't cracked but just did it to hopefully future-proof it!

Comment

Working...
                  X