M Coupes on greasy roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M Coupes on greasy roads

I've not used my MC much this year as I bought an XFR and have had other priorities so the poor old thing's just been garaged and neglected. However, as I usually take it off the road before winter salt eats it, I thought I'd make the effort and use it a bit before the tax runs out.

Holy shit.......I'd forgotton what a raw, seat of the pants laugh it is, I've clearly spent too long being nannied by modern technology and DSC! It's been "fun" in the wet and especially when there's rain after a dry spell so the roads get greasy.

I've had the joy of plenty of controlled slow speed tail out action after first checking that the coast is clear and also been sharply reminded how it could all go horribly wrong with some heart in mouth moments at much higher speeds on A & B roads.

I've really enjoyed the lot though, it's made me feel alive and I've been reminded just what a great car a sorted MC can be to drive, especially in less than perfect conditions. I know I'm rambling on, but this can be a quiet forum and it's sometimes good to just talk about the emotive aspects of car ownership.

The mods I've done to my car make it feel quite raw and aggressive which makes it a great "hobby" car for me.....

What are the joys and best bits of MC ownership for you?
    Last edited by fok; 23-09-2012, 09:02 PM.

They do seem to be a better drive when you haven't driven it for a while don't they!

Mine's not so good at sliding, does not feel confidence-inspiring as the diff is effectively open on it as the plates are worn (old E30 diff). I remember a trackday at Oulton park with the original LSD fitted and small slides out of slow speed corners were fairly easy and predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
      Mine's not so good at sliding, does not feel confidence-inspiring as the diff is effectively open on it as the plates are worn (old E30 diff). I remember a trackday at Oulton park with the original LSD fitted and small slides out of slow speed corners were fairly easy and predictable.
      With the original 3.15 diff the lock up was instant, making slides at will very predicatable. I changed to a 3.64 which seems to have a small delay before locking up which I don't like as much. It's coming out over winter in favour of a 3.46 I've just sourced....We'll see how that locks up.

Comment

Chris I have guy who builds diffs up to 75% lock new plates etc does lots of e30 racers and about 500 for a top spec rebuild if you want the detials

Jason
        BMW e21 track car
        Z3M (S62)
        2.8 Z3 Coupe
        Ariel Atom
        GT86 race car
        Ferrari 348 Challenge
        Merc G500

Comment

Thanks Jason, atm the diff works ok just not a lot/no lock, will perhaps look at rebuild at some point next year. Was thinking 40%? seems to be a common "uprated" figure, don't want it to start understeering.

Originally posted by fok View Post
          With the original 3.15 diff the lock up was instant, making slides at will very predicatable. I changed to a 3.64 which seems to have a small delay before locking up which I don't like as much. It's coming out over winter in favour of a 3.46 I've just sourced....We'll see how that locks up.
          Yep I've found the same, if it's in good condition it is more predicatable, at the minute I find I'm not sure how it will behave but with one wheel in the air you can turn a rear wheel by hand so the diff is obviously worn but apart from the lack of lock up it works fine without noises and with R888s traction is fine on trackdays (although at Donington I was getting some inside wheel spin when it was lightly loaded - last right hander before back straight was one place).

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
            They do seem to be a better drive when you haven't driven it for a while don't they!
            I have been away this week and since my MC is my daily driver, not using it for 8 days is a long time i am really looking forward to seeing/driving it again! I think you do take them for granted when used often.
            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Working...
            X