No announcement yet.

S50/S54 Airboxes Filters & induction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The brake ducts just don't work at all really in the OE state, the ducts in the bumper are a brilliant source for forced air though as long as it's ducted to the back of the brake discs directly using some hose.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonttt View Post
      Interesting re the brake duct blocking as I would imagine it would increase pressure through the airbox considerably......but have you noticed a detrimental effect on brakes ? one of the big issues I had with mine was brake fade and overheating but yellowstuff seem to have sorted that out whilst retaining OEM discs for long fast road runs. It would concern me that brake overheating which is already an issue would be adversley affected ?
      As c_w says, the "brake ducts" in the front bumper in OEM state are a misnomer, they have no effect on brake cooling.

On my MC, I've made some simple DIY brake ducts where the inlet is bolted onto the front ARB, and I use the brake duct in the bumper solely as an air scoop for the air-intake system, whereas c_w uses the brake duct in the bumper as the inlet for his DIY brake ducting as well as for his air-intake system.

I don't suffer any brake over-heating despite blocking off the OEM "brake ducts" because my DIY brake cooling system actually continuously supplies more air to the brakes than they would otherwise receive in complete OEM state. Same applies for c_w's system. I just prefer to use the bumper as an air scoop for the engine.
      /// Exdos ///
      "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

cars been locked away since sat so could anyone tell me if the MAF holder is seperate to the air box or if ill need to get one out of another kit thanks

Comment

mmm interesting re the brake ducting, something I'll look into more next year I think ;-)

Re the MAF housing.....

S50 = seperate to the OEM airbox

S54 = built into OEM airbox
          VIDEO or Journal

Comment

thanks for that dont need Maf housing now

so running an open cone filter do you suffer with massive heat soak? (those running open cones k&n pipercross etc)

also after ive fitted this tomo will i have problems with my idle? had this problem on a focus i had years back.

will post up pics tomo of the beast set up ....if it fits lol

Comment

Logic says with an open filter you can only be sucking in warmer air than with the OEM box in place which would make a significant difference to performance but I've never actually tried one.

Thats why I like the Simota's/GruppeM's for the S50's as the carbon cone was such a good/close fit there was no change of warm engine air getting sucked in with the pressure from the intake.
              VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Jonttt View Post
                Logic says with an open filter you can only be sucking in warmer air than with the OEM box in place which would make a significant difference to performance but I've never actually tried one.

Thats why I like the Simota's/GruppeM's for the S50's as the carbon cone was such a good/close fit there was no change of warm engine air getting sucked in with the pressure from the intake.
                With the MC/MR's OEM air intake not only is cold air from outside the engine bay being delivered, but also air at increasing pressure with increasing speed (i.e greater mass) = more power. You won't capitalise on this with aftermarket systems.
                /// Exdos ///
                "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Worth a read chaps:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1535784

especially (although it relates to an E46 M3):

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/stealth/e46m3.doc

Comment

Originally posted by shantybeater View Post
                    Worth a read chaps:
                    especially (although it relates to an E46 M3):

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/stealth/e46m3.doc
                    If the author of the work you refer to had used a datalogger connected to the ECU (several to choose from) and performed his comparative tests on the road in "real world" conditions rather than on a dynamometer, the results would be useful, but comparisons of BMW "ram-air" intake systems, as used on the Z3 M, Z4 M, E46 M3 and E92 M3 to aftermarket "open" systems, are meaningless because the fans placed in front of cars on static dynamometers don't replicate the conditions of air movement and changing air pressures on the road. As such the OEM air-intake systems are disadvantaged because they are not functioning as they normally do, when on a dynamometer.

Where do you live? If you live anywhere near me, I'll offer to connect your car to my datalogger and do some recording from your cars ECU to show you exactly what is going on in your car. You'll be amazed by the information you'll get from your car!
                    /// Exdos ///

Comment

I'm in bournemouth, that does sound interesting!

Comment

Is it true that the shops there have bi-focal windows
                        2002 phoenix yellow. "V3RY M" lives on, but on another beast.

Comment

I'm midlands.
                          /// Exdos ///

Comment

Steve1 - I'm guessing you havent been here for a while? all the old timers moved along the coast some time ago! ;)

exdos - thats a shame mate, maybe we will bump into each other at a show or something
                            Last edited by shantybeater; 07-10-2010, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Air Intake, etc.

I have run a Gruppe M intake (Evole sale them just short of £600) with a Unichip & remap carried out by Paul Sheppard at Circuit Motors (next to Castle Combe Circuit) for the last 18 months, its dyno reading is 346 BHP with improved torque over standard too, the car has done 105k. I only use the car for track use & the differance after these modifications was huge - however i only had these mods carried out after making sure the valve clearances were correct - this should be done at inspection II services, but some dealers are better than others at this task! Dick Lovetts BMW in Bristol carried out this work & the car was massively improved in terms of performance following their work. I have recently fitted de-cat Supersprint pipes & Supersprint back boxes and blanked off the air intake from the N/S brake duct & instead have taken the air feed straight through the front bumper just below & to the centre of the N/S headlamp washer jet. After this i have taken the car around Silverstone (BMW owbers club trackday) & found a 'large' flat spot between 3k & 4K rpm. The car is booked in for a re-map again on Tuesday 19th by which time i will have removed the air con compressor & associated parts, hopefully i will see somewhere in the region of 355 BHP - I'll let you know.

Comment

Sounds like you are getting well on top of the tuning/mapping issue. Keep us informed.
                                Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

Working...
                                X