Big End!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flyingsaucer,

BMW MUST give you a new engine or rebuild your existing engine as goodwill. If they don't, please let me know and I'll let you have copies of personal correspondence that I have from BMW outlining the BMW position on goodwill. Don't mention anything about EW at the moment, and see what BMW offers before you respond.

Every cloud has a silver lining..........
    /// Exdos ///
    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Be careful hear looks like you might be being lined up for some serious dealer gang bang on joo ass with no lube.

Ok ask them how they came to the conclusion it’s the big end bearings and if it’s both that they think are gone. If they plugged up the ecu and what error code the ecu recorded and why they came to the conclusion it’s the big ends.

Also ring BMW UK and do what exdos said see what they have to say. Explain the situation you’re in and that the stealers think it’s the big end or ends.

Thing is if the big ends have totally gone and are fucked you would have done some serious damage to bring the car to a halt. If there just slightly worn then they might need changing this shouldn’t bring you to a dead engine and the car to stop and only show this type of wear on engines on 100,000 miles+.

You can have a low mileage s54 engine for around 2 to 2.5 grand and an s50 for less so it’s not the end of the world nothing like 10 grand.

Comment

lads,

can't tell you how grateful I am for the advice. Have hit the bottle this evning as so gutted about thei situation and will almost certainly check the thread back tomoorow am bfor ei get the call from the stealer.

many thanks
        98S Estoril

Comment

Originally posted by flyingsaucer
          lads,

can't tell you how grateful I am for the advice. Have hit the bottle this evning as so gutted about thei situation and will almost certainly check the thread back tomoorow am bfor ei get the call from the stealer.

many thanks
          hic

Dont worry too much fella! it may all turn out to your benefit yet!

good luck
          Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
          New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by flyingsaucer
            lads,

many thanks
            Dont stress too much. follow the advice given Pere first. there us always a Plan B as well.

Greenbat

Ex MC Owner

Comment

Sorry to hear about this. As everyone else has said it may not be that bad. Worst case is that you can buy another s50 engine for not too much money.

Best of luck with BMW.

Comment

A few details for Plan B, hopefully you should not need it

http://www.fabdirect.com/index06.htm

http://www.moseleymotorsport.com/parts_used.htm

Greenbat

Ex MC Owner

Comment

Any update or have you toped yourself.

Comment

Update

Still alive even if turning into an alcoholic :)

I have just got off the phone from mr service man at the stealership having hopefully developed a bit of a rapport with him regarding the fact I'm now driving my fiances Z4, my mother a touring and i'll be looking for a family wagon in the future!

Anyway - it turns out that it is definitely a new engine job and they are not prepared to rebuild it. He didn't mention too much mechanical but refered to rebuilding it with the current oil a 'metal parts'? (can't quite remember) not being fixable. He is now going to put a case forward to BMW UK for goodwill. It has been serviced by the dealership inc. mots and tyres for past 4 years and I picked it up from Elms BMW in Bedford who would have had to put through the various tests (category ??? inspection?!) He anticipates that it, as you guys mentioned, a new engine + labour and a minimum £10K job that BMW will not just give the go ahead on due to the cost :shock: I will probably be asked to pay a % ?

I asked about the EW within a month of expiry and still being able to get it and he said that since the changes they have been instructed to only exept these cases within 12hours of expiry and even then they have to put forward a proposal.

So.....new engine coming my way the question is what % should I be prepared to pay?

Exdos, you mentioned something about correspondence. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

The chap who is dealing with the flyingsaucer seems like a decent enough bloke but you can never tell. He suggested that the acceptence (or not) of proposals can take a number of days which is loking like next week some time.........................All a bit of an arse :evil:
                    98S Estoril

Comment

Do they now know what caused the damage and what the damage exactly is?
                      S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
                      Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

I'm by no means an expert when it comes to engines, but I am very surprised to hear that this cannot be rebuilt. Surely that implies that the entire engine block and components are screwed. I would have thought only part of the engine would be damaged and as a result could be rebuilt/fixed.

I suppose it will ultimately boil down to how much BMW expect you to pay. If a rebuild would cost a couple of grand and BMW want you to pay £3k then the decision is easy, and vice versa.

I still have the niggling feeling that the reason that BMW don't want to rebuild the engine is because in this day an age of 'replace rather than repair' they no longer have the expertise to do a rebuild.

Comment

As mentioned before. this is why you need a written report as to exactly what is wrong with your engine, this way you can obtain alternative qoutes, from indes.
                          Do not be fobbed off with having to pay any percentage of the costs, by BMW, get all the relevant correspondance that anyone has had with BMW about engine failures, and also any engines that have been replaced free of charge, couple this with all your service history etc. etc. and I would think you will have a pretty strong case.

Steve.
                          2002 phoenix yellow. "V3RY M" lives on, but on another beast.

Comment

BMW with their replace rather than repair policy!

Tossers

Comment

I will definitely get a full written report before I act on anything for sure as there is too much money at stake. Not sure if I'm being naive here but wouldn't I want a new engine rather than rebuild?
                              98S Estoril

Comment

Well if all they have to do is change the big end bearings and all the shells then 6 to 8 hrs hrs job done.

Comment

Working...
                                X