No announcement yet.

Bearing shells Failure!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any chance of posting the PDF ? I would quite like to get this sorted too but would like to find out what is involved. Seems for £130 its worth doing. I guess you could then put teh M3 map on the engine to rev to 8000 rpm too
    Ex 2001 S54
    New cars:
    Lotus Carlton
    350Z

Comment

Originally posted by MGR View Post
      Any chance of posting the PDF ? I would quite like to get this sorted too but would like to find out what is involved. Seems for £130 its worth doing. I guess you could then put teh M3 map on the engine to rev to 8000 rpm too
      Well, you do not need the M3 map, just a proper remap of your current maps...but having more RPMS in not necessarily better, because the peek of power on the Z3MC is around 7400, and not at 7900...so a proper remap is the best way to adjust peek power and rpm limit but for me that is not on the horizon...also, I'm sure the a port over of the M3 maps would not work on the Z3MC...the M3 has more electronics so way more stuff to control...
      ///M Coupe 2001 S54 Steel Grey - Paulo M.
      -------------------------------------------
      ----- Sporting Clube Portugal - Forever -----

Comment

Sorry guys, I can't post the file - its too big.
        If you PM me with your email address, I'll send it on.

Russ

Comment

Some more info:
          New uprated 11mm bolts are available from ARP in the US at about £100 per set. In the UK, Arrow Precision (arrowprecision.co.uk) can supply ex stock.
          Its worth pointing out that BMW specifically say that this bolt can be re-used so replacement isn't strictly necessary...
          If you want a detailed photo record of the work required, I suggest you look on the Bimmerfest Z site for a post called "S54 Ka-Boom preventative measures" by Randy Forbes. There is a link to his gallery with loads of photos. Randy is a well known and regular contributor to technical discussions and developed the "twin ear diff mount" and a repair for torn boot floors. Russ.

Comment

Originally posted by RussJ View Post
            Some more info:
            New uprated 11mm bolts are available from ARP in the US at about £100 per set. In the UK, Arrow Precision (arrowprecision.co.uk) can supply ex stock.
            Its worth pointing out that BMW specifically say that this bolt can be re-used so replacement isn't strictly necessary...
            If you want a detailed photo record of the work required, I suggest you look on the Bimmerfest Z site for a post called "S54 Ka-Boom preventative measures" by Randy Forbes. There is a link to his gallery with loads of photos. Randy is a well known and regular contributor to technical discussions and developed the "twin ear diff mount" and a repair for torn boot floors. Russ.
            Again, thank you! I've found the post on bimmerfest and I'll follow up on it.

Comment

Updated News:

I have confirmation that the bronze on the B.Shells (or Rod Bearings...sorry but I'm not sure of which English term represents what).

Apart from that (and without myself mentioning it) they will expose the case to BMW Portugal (B.Shells and/or crankshaft - depending on the outcome of their findings).

So a message to every S54 owner: Do a oil analysis and consider buying BMW kit to replace the B.Shells, etc.
              Last edited by don.juan; 16-01-2008, 02:14 AM.

Comment

I hope they sort out this for you free of charge.

Intersting in the S I B 11 04 04 BMW document they say that the warranty for internal engine oil lubricated parts is extended to 6 years or 100,000 miles which ever comes first. The M coupe 2001 and 2002 model years (S54) are included in this specifically.

might be worth mentioning this to BMW as this 6 years has only just expired
                Last edited by MGR; 16-11-2007, 06:55 PM.
                Ex 2001 S54
                New cars:
                Lotus Carlton
                350Z

Comment

I hope they sort out this for you free of charge.

Intersting in the S I B 11 04 04 BMW document they say that the warranty for internal engine oil lubricated parts is extended to 6 years or 100,000 miles which ever comes first. The M coupe 2001 and 2002 model years (S54) are included in this specifically.

might be worth mentioning this to BMW as this 6 years has only just expired
                  Yes! You're correct. Still I was under the impression that it applied to the US only...

Comment

My S54 had a replacement engine early in its life (pre my ownership).

I presume that replacement engines would have been fitted with the improved shells to prevent re-occurence ? Here's hoping. Any comment on this appreciated.

See ebay item 300172759681

This guy had success getting his S54 engine replaced under warranty, with more miles than yours...precedent set ?
                    Might be worth making contact with seller to see how he went about it ?

Best of look
                    Nov 2001 S54 Estoril Blue, Totally standard.

Comment

That is my Coupé that is listed on eBay, and Marco has already got all the information that I have (including the background, and a copy of the last letter that I wrote to Jim O'Donnell - BMW-UK Managing Director).

Actually, as I noted in the eBay ad, I had let the BMW Warranty lapse, and BMW replaced the engine on a goodwill basis, after the dealer had made two attempts to fix the broken engine:
                      once to replace the bottom end, crankshaft, bearing shells, conn rods, etc (including the oil pump) at some cost to me, some goodwill from BMW;
                      the second time to replace the top end, conn rods (again), pistons, etc. at no cost to me.
                      When I expressed my concerns more strongly at this point, BMW stepped up and replaced the whole engine, at no cost to me.
                      SEP 2003: Bought 2002 Titanium Silver with Black Leather.
                      OCT 2003: Adjustable interior Rear View Mirror.
                      Early 2005: Front Strong Strut. Replaced all tyres with F1s. Added rear Strong Strut.
                      AUG 2005: EXDOS Mod
                      SEP 2006: Retrofit Cruise Control
                      NOV 2007: SOLD

Comment

A Quick update:

Only the B.Shells need replacement. There is a kit from BMW for that. The dealer got a "NO" from BMW Portugal but their claim was rejected on "no warranty" basis...so now it's my turn to request GoodWill from BMW. I've got the total costs for the repair and I've written my letter...just waiting for a call from the dealer to tell me where to send the letter...! I will be focusing my letter on one strong point: If BMW had run the recall for all the S54 (12-02-2001 a 22-05-2003), so including the Z3s, thus my car, I would not have had this problem because the B. Shells would not have been faulty ones...along with this I had some more info and data to back up my point.

Last edited by don.juan; 16-01-2008, 02:15 AM.

Comment

I have just written to BMW (UK) Ltd to request that it performs the recall repair on my MC. I am no longer prepared to rely on BMW goodwill at any time in the future that I might need it. However, should I take the case to a court before my car is six years old, as I can at the moment, I can easily claim that BMW is negligent in not undertaking this task when it knows of the problem, has performed a recall of the M3 with the same engine and has issued a 6 year warranty in other countries. I think BMW would have great difficulty in arguing that restricting the rev limit is a fix, especially when the failure still occurs. I can actually quote specific cars on which this has happened, as evidence. As I see it, if I do nothing until failure occurred, then I would have difficulty in bringing action at a later date, should I need to.

I'll keep you updated on this.
                          Last edited by exdos; 23-11-2007, 12:51 PM.
                          /// Exdos ///
                          "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
                            I have just written to BMW (UK) Ltd to request that it performs the recall repair on my MC. I am no longer prepared to rely on BMW goodwill at any time in the future that I might need it. However, should I take the case to a court before my car is six years old, as I can at the moment, I can easily claim that BMW is negligent in not undertaking this task when it knows of the problem, has performed a recall of the M3 with the same engine and has issued a 6 year warranty in other countries. I think BMW would have great difficulty in arguing that restricting the rev limit is a fix, especially when the failure still occurs. I can actually quote specific cars on which this has happened, as evidence. As I see it, if I do nothing until failure occurred, then I would have difficulty in bringing action at a later date, should I need to.

Good luck with this, if I can help in any way (I'm not sure how) then I'm willing. I am getting concerned as I'm putting quite a few miles on my car (its up to nearly 60K now) and I wonder how long it will be before/ if this will affect me. The way I see it the kit costs around £200 ish (I think)and the labour won't cost BMW what it costs us so its not a major expense for them.
                            Ex 2001 S54
                            New cars:
                            Lotus Carlton
                            350Z

Comment

Good luck with this, if I can help in any way (I'm not sure how) then I'm willing. I am getting concerned as I'm putting quite a few miles on my car (its up to nearly 60K now) and I wonder how long it will be before/ if this will affect me. The way I see it the kit costs around £200 ish (I think)and the labour won't cost BMW what it costs us so its not a major expense for them.
                              Well, If I was in your shoes (MRG, EX.DOS), that is, with the b. shells yet to fail, I would question BMW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post

let me know how this goes, as mine is 6 years old in jan!

Comment

Working...
                                X