Bearing shells Failure!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BEN View Post
    let me know how this goes, as mine is 6 years old in jan!

Yes I will!!!
    ///M Coupe 2001 S54 Steel Grey - Paulo M.
    -------------------------------------------
    ----- Sporting Clube Portugal - Forever -----

Comment

I have been thinking of writing to them aswell, if only to put them on notice that I will hold them responsible for the resulting damage from a shellbearing failure in lieu of the fix which they have not carried out in this country.

How is the age of the car defined? I have seen inside my car somewhere on one of those plates it says August 2001 but the Registation Documents state 7/12/01 for the 'first registation'. Which is the relevant one?
      Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

I've just been setting all my ducks in a row, just in case I need to take BMW to court over this issue. I've phoned a local stealer to find out the cost of my having to pay to have the work done that owners of the E46 M3 have had done for free under a recall. Apparently, there were two recalls issued, both dated 9th August 2004:
        0011950100 which is to replace the bearing shells. This will cost me £978.20 including VAT.
        and
        0011940100 which is to additionally replace the connecting rod bolts, if needed when visually inspected, as well as to replace the bearing shells. This will cost me £2,465.96 including VAT. I was told that if the connecting rod bolts need replacing, then I would need a complete set of new con-rods since BMW haven't issued the connecting rod bolts alone! What a f***ing rip off you might say!

I'm getting this info in writing as a quotation from the stealer which I can use as evidence and use the info in computing the value of my claim against BMW.
        /// Exdos ///
        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by coupe fan View Post
          I have been thinking of writing to them aswell, if only to put them on notice that I will hold them responsible for the resulting damage from a shellbearing failure in lieu of the fix which they have not carried out in this country.

How is the age of the car defined? I have seen inside my car somewhere on one of those plates it says August 2001 but the Registation Documents state 7/12/01 for the 'first registation'. Which is the relevant one?
          I would say that for legal purposes, the date of first registration is the most important date for legal purposes. If I were you I'd register your concern whilst the car is still 5 years old (before 7-12-07), so that in your evidence to a court, you can use the 6 year manufacturer's warranty given in the USA and Australia, as an example of the unfairness you've experienced as a UK owner. BMW knows full well that an S54 engine is the same no matter to which chassis platform it is attached and the country in which it is driven. They also know full well that your rights under any claim would be looked upon less favourably after the greater passage of time, rather than a claim brought sooner, even if you've not yet suffered any failure.

Out of interest, how many active S54 owners are on this forum, and how many would like to orchestrate action against BMW? Please add your name to this thread if you are REALLY interested, and would be willing to pursue a claim through the County Court. I'd be happy to help anyone who can walk the walk but I can't be doing with time-wasters and passengers who aren't prepared to put in as much effort to help themselves as me.
          Last edited by exdos; 23-11-2007, 05:26 PM.
          /// Exdos ///
          "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
            Please add your name to this thread if you are REALLY interested, and would be willing to pursue a claim through the County Court. I'd be happy to help anyone who can walk the walk but I can't be doing with time-wasters and passengers who aren't prepared to put in as much effort to help themselves as me.
            Me definitely and I won't quit when the going gets tough or expensive. But will be writing a long letter to BMW GB next week anyway and will post a copy.
            Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
              Out of interest, how many active S54 owners are on this forum, and how many would like to orchestrate action against BMW? Please add your name to this thread if you are REALLY interested, and would be willing to pursue a claim through the County Court. I'd be happy to help anyone who can walk the walk but I can't be doing with time-wasters and passengers who aren't prepared to put in as much effort to help themselves as me.
              I don't really know whats involved in a claim so I'm not sure what I'd be signing up to ! my car was registered in sept 01 so is already 6 years old (just) not sure if that will make a difference. I am potentially interested though.
              Ex 2001 S54
              New cars:
              Lotus Carlton
              350Z

Comment

Originally posted by setchzm View Post
                My S54 had a replacement engine early in its life (pre my ownership).

I presume that replacement engines would have been fitted with the improved shells to prevent re-occurence ? Here's hoping. Any comment on this appreciated.

See ebay item 300172759681

This guy had success getting his S54 engine replaced under warranty, with more miles than yours...precedent set ?
                Might be worth making contact with seller to see how he went about it ?

Best of look
                Does the recall/replacement engine routine, result in a permanent fix for the inherent problem ?
                ie is the repaired/replaced S54 engine not exposed to the same inherent failure again ? (I apppreciate it could happen again as a matter of bad luck but hopefully for 'another' reason).
                Nov 2001 S54 Estoril Blue, Totally standard.

Comment

Originally posted by coupe fan View Post
                  Me definitely and I won't quit when the going gets tough or expensive. But will be writing a long letter to BMW GB next week anyway and will post a copy.
                  David,

Over the years, I've orchestrated numerous campaigns of one type or another against large organisations and all with success. I'll give you my thoughts on how we can beat BMW very cheaply when we meet up.
                  Last edited by exdos; 23-11-2007, 08:29 PM.
                  /// Exdos ///

Comment

Originally posted by setchzm View Post
                    Does the recall/replacement engine routine, result in a permanent fix for the inherent problem ?
                    ie is the repaired/replaced S54 engine not exposed to the same inherent failure again ? (I apppreciate it could happen again as a matter of bad luck but hopefully for 'another' reason).
                    The basic fault is all down to a sub-contracted manufacturer producing sub-standard parts which were fitted to a large batch of S54 engines. The recall is for a replacement of the sub-standard bearing shells with parts which are of the correct quality, and once fitted, they are unlikely to fail.
                    /// Exdos ///

Comment

Let me know what is needed from individual owners, the more we can get to support this action the better.

Steve.
                      2002 phoenix yellow. "V3RY M" lives on, but on another beast.

Comment

Originally posted by steve1 View Post
                        Let me know what is needed from individual owners, the more we can get to support this action the better.

Steve.

I'll see how many S54 owners reply by next weekend, then I'll communicate with all those who have shown an interest.

Out of interest, the cost of the bearing shells is just £217.42 inc VAT.
                        /// Exdos ///

Comment

Originally posted by RussJ View Post
                          Did some more research on this...
                          BMW can still supply the upgrade kit for £130, consisting of shells, gaskets etc. No need to replace pump unless the engine has suffered damage already.
                          I thought that we were talking thousands of £s
                          Whether it's £217.42p + vat or £130, that is not a lot. BUT, how many hours would the fitting take and could the old shell bearings have damaged the car already?
                          If the answer to the second question is no and if it is going to cost, say, £400 all in, then I am tempted to keep my car safely out of the BMW dealers hands and get it done myself.

Comment

I'd be happy to join the fray as I'd much rather BMW fitted the shells than me!
                            I really can't see how BMW can argue that S54's in the USA are different from here and if they gave an extended guarantee there, how can it not apply in the UK? The more I think about it, the more pissed off I get - I can see a Porsche becoming steadily more attractive!
                            The price I was quoted was for the upgrade kit plus the sump gasket. You'll have to add oil to that though...
                            The parts guy at Coopers said that it was much cheaper to get the kit rather than ordering the individual parts. I'll try and get the part number for future reference.
                            I emailed BMW customer service and got the usual brush off - "every case considered on its merits" etc.
                            You also might like to take a look at a recent thread on Bimmerfest - "S54 Tic,Tic, Tic". Randy Forbes has just changed the shells on an '01 S54 and was surprised at the state of the bearings. Apparently the oil analysis showed no excess metal but you can easily see where the bearing surface had "picked up" - that engine would have failed shortly for sure.
                            Russ

Comment

I'll have a look at those Randy Forbes posts.

Comment

I've just been sent a copy of the BMW S.I. B11 04 04 dated December 2004, by another forum member. This is what it states:

SUBJECT
                                Service Action: E46 M3 S54 Connecting Rod Bearings Replacement
                                MODEL
                                E46: M3 coupe/convertible with S54B32 produced from 02/12/2001 up to 05/22/2003
                                SITUATION
                                The connecting rod bearings installed in M3 coupe/convertible vehicles produced from February 2001
                                through May 2003 were not manufactured to BMW quality standards. As a result, the connecting rod
                                bearings are susceptible to overheating and subsequent premature failure if vehicles are driven at higher
                                engine speeds over an extended timeframe. This condition will cause a total engine failure.

Since the S54 engines in our MCs are exactly the same as those in the E46 M3, then BMW hasn't got a bloody leg to stand on in a court case because it has clearly stated that the con rod bearings are substandard. FACT. I'm relishing my up-coming fight with BMW
                                /// Exdos ///

Comment

Working...
                                X