Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12V switched live feed - Cig Lighter?

Hi,

I want to fit a bullet cam before my track day and don't fancy using the 8AA battery pack that came with it. I want to use a 12v switched live, probably from the cigarette lighter but I can't quite work out how to remove the lighter from the dash.

Does it just pop out with a bit of force from behind or are there some catches to be released first?

DC

Anyone? Or is there an easier switched feed to connect to? I'm thinking the CD Changer could be a prime candidate as it's not connected to anything these days.

If you've got any photos of bullet cam installations in Z3Ms that would be quite helpful too.

Comment

I've done this once and from memory the lighter will pop out but you have to release the internal little spring catches that hold it in place.

You may be able to do this with a bit of trial and error from inside the lighter itself but may find it easier removing the gear lever knob and surround and working from behind.

WARNING: if poking around inside the cigar lighter, remove the fuse for it first !!!
      Col N.
      Life is not a rehearsal !

Porsche Cayenne S
      ex Audi S4 Avant
      ex 2001 S54 Titanium, Black
      ex Porsche 968

Comment

Originally posted by ZiggyCol View Post
        WARNING: if poking around inside the cigar lighter, remove the fuse for it first !!!
        Excellent advice, I'll remember to do that first. Thanks

DC

Comment

Or you could remove one of the footwell side panels and gain access behind console. It is a bit fiddly however it can be done. There are plenty 12v switched feeds you could jump off from there.
          Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
          In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Okay, I thought I had this sorted but I could do with some help now. I the bullet cam wired up, fixed to the headlining and recording, so off I went for a test drive. About 5 minutes into the drive smoke started coming out of the dash vents. I thought my wiring must have been at fault so I quickly unplugged the 12v feed to the bullet cam (interesting when it's in the glove box and you're doing 70 on an A road!) and took the ciggy lighter out of the socket, went to a service station and removed the cig-lighter fuse from the fuse box. The smoke stopped as soon as I disconnected the cam, but I removed the fuse for good measure.

I carried on driving and never saw this smoke again. When I got home I removed the ligher socket and teh wiring that I'd added, fully expecting to see burnt spade connectors of burned wiring. There was nothing of the sort. All of the wires were clean and there is no sign of burning whatsoever. When I removed the cig lighter whilst driving I don't remember it being hot, so I don't think that was the source.

Is it possible that the smoke was coming from the air-con systems and completely unrelated to my wiring?

Here is a photo of the 12v lead that I've knocked up for this, have I used anything that I shouldn't have?

Also, whilst investigating alternative 12v sources I took out all of the lower switches. When I removed what I thought was a switch blank (between the passenger heated seat switch and the window demister switch) I was surprised to find a wire and connector running to the back of the 'blank'. Is this a blank or is it something functional?

Here's the 12v lead I used, connected to the ciggy lighter with the flyleads to conencting to the original loom: http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...4052008040.jpg
            As you can see, no burning.
            Here's the regular cig lighter connections, I had to replace one of the spades but I've added an insulation cover to be careful. http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...4052008041.jpg

Here's the blank which appears to have more of a purpose that I first thought. What is it for? http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...4052008044.jpg

Thanks for the help, I'm now thinking that the smoke was a coincidence and may have been a blip in the aircon system somewhere, but all help is appreciated.

DC

Comment

Not sure about the wiring but that switch blank is intriguing - wonder what the wires are fro? so the front of the switch is just plain black/blank?

EDIT: Checking on realoem it is called a "tell tale" I would have thought this meant it's an LED? but I assume there is no LED on the front of the switch? The image on that website looks like the same fitted to the rear of my centre console though (it's raised slightly compared to the two blanks next to it) and is the LED for the alarm.

Since the cigarette lighter is used for most other accessroies I would think that's probably the best source for powering it (using the other switched lives such as the switches on the console etc uses much thinner wires and might not be as suitable).
              Last edited by c_w; 09-05-2008, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X